Although Carlsbad is closer to home, we usually drive south to The Grand Del Mar for Afternoon Tea on certain special occasions (birthdays, anniversary, etc.). They were booked days in advance, and so we chose Aviara instead. We'd been to the Aviara resort many years ago for a friend's wedding, but never for a meal or since it changed from a Four Seasons.
The interior was still gorgeous and the service still exceptional. We had a very spacious but cozy table for two in the corner of one of the lobby rooms, with a view out the window. (It was hazy so we couldn't see the ocean, but it was still very nice.) The China service was beautiful with a yellow theme. The area had smaller tables on the perimeter, alternating 2 and 4-person seating including one by a working fireplace which would be very cozy on the odd rainy day or a "relatively" cold day, while in the middle was a larger table with cozy couches where there was a low-key baby shower going on. The environment was lovely (upscale yet comfy), and we found we were not missing The Grand Del Mar so far!
The tea selection was fantastic. My husband tried chocolate orange while I, more a champagne drinker than a tea drinker, chose the berries and blossoms which was amazingly good!
We chose the Royal Afternoon Tea, which allowed my husband to select a dry sherry whilst I enjoyed a Prosecco (Italian sparking wine). The sweets and savories came out at once on a three-tier platter. The focus was on quality not quantity, so we were not too ashamed at finishing Everything! Each item was beautiful and delicious. I've had better clotted cream, but the lemon curd and blackberry jam (with whole blackberries in it) were a real treat.
Because it was my birthday, the server even brought out a chocolate cupcake with a candle at the end. It was very elegantly done and made a perfect ending to a fantastic afternoon. We'll be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On California’s sun-drenched Pacific coast, in the seaside community of Carlsbad, Park Hyatt Aviara Resort lies on the north shore of Batiquitos Lagoon – a vast protected wildlife sanctuary and an enclave of natural beauty. From atop the highest ridge, overlooking the ocean and the lagoon, the AAA Five Diamond San Diego resort provides a respite from the ordinary. Located amid 200 acres of verdant hillsides and rolling valleys, within the master-planned community of Aviara, our North San Diego luxury hotel and resort provides an appealing setting for any function. The resort’s Spanish colonial architecture welcomes with a sense of casual elegance. Each of the 329 spacious guest rooms – including 44 suites – features a private balcony or landscaped terrace offering magnificent views. Expansive facilities for meetings and special events are enhanced by complete resort amenities, from acclaimed dining to a full-service spa, swimming, tennis, a fitness center and an Arnold Palmer-designed 18-hole championship golf course. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Park Hyatt Aviara Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Park Hyatt Aviara Hotel Carlsbad
- Four Seasons Hotel Carlsbad
- Four Seasons Carlsbad
- Aviara Resort
- Carlsbad Four Seasons
- Four Seasons Aviara