“A special place” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ely, Minnesota
“A special place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Greeted by name upon arriving. Offered a hot face cloth at reception. Beautiful well appointed rooms with wonderful beds. Deep tub and separate shower enclosure. Will return. Good value and great staff.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank blacklake

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

The staff is clearly the strongest part of this resort-- they are nice, attentive, well trained. The pool area is very nice especially the adults only pool. The rooms are dated, shabby, not enough furniture. On weekends and holidays kids are everywhere-- so if you are coming to get away from kids forget it. But kids would love the place. And breakfast is chaos with all the kids, not enough area to move around, crowds, waits for tables. We came for our anniversary and should have gone somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank CrflTvlr
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful place, both the location and the facility. Great food and you must try Argyle steakhouse. Dedicated and professional staff, helpful and always courteous. And activities abound; beach, golf, tennis. I will definitely return.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank jvabalos50
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This resort was truly amazing, with phenomenal staff, beautiful views and delicious food! I traveled here for the weekend with a few girlfriends to escape the winter of Chicago. From the moment we stepped onto the property, we were in paradise. The resort grounds and golf course were beautiful. The staff treated us like queens. The food was phenomenal - a highlight being dinner at Vivace. We even attended a free yoga class! We were treated to stay in a suite, and the beds were heavenly. The view from our balcony was both spectacular and peaceful. Though I was traveling without my children, I have two young ones at home, and thought I would have loved to bring them along, as the hotel offered child friendly activities. I highly recommend this resort, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Melissa K
Rancho Murieta, California, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay in this fabulous resort. It is elegant and relaxing. From an impeccable service to impressive ambiance, my needs were made. Rooms are very specious and the view of the Batiquitos Lagoon is spectacular. Argyle Steak House as great, Surf and Turf was delicious. Lunch at Vivace was my favorite meal. The decor of the restaurant is outstanding. Great selection of wine. Terrific restaurant. During the day we played golf on the course designed by Arnold Palmer. Swimming pools are so beautiful and relaxing. Well. I thing I just visited paradise. Come and enjoy this unique place.

Room Tip: The view of the Lagoon is spectacular. Request one, and you will enjoy it so much,.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mila K
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I'm here for a conference and leaving today so thought I'd give my thoughts while they're still fresh in my mind! Firstly, if you're coming here for the first time and programme the address into your GPS, if you can't find the Park Hyatt and just put the address in, you might find yourself in the wrong street as I did! I only bought this GPS last year and it didn't have the Park Hyatt Aviara listed in there so if yours is the same, type in the Four Seasons Carlsbad and you'll find it!

The service was great here with lots of friendly staff! The tariff was about the going rate ($229) but was a little annoyed that breakfast $26) wasn't included. Oh, on the subject of breakfast, have the fruit smoothy! It changes daily but I only discovered it on my third day!

We dined at the Argyle Steakhouse which was quite a distance from the lobby so grab the shuttle unless you want the stroll! There was a wide selection of steaks there but alas, no spare ribs which was what I was craving for! Oh, another tip there, if you have an orange juice, ask them to leave out the ice! I think this is an American thing but it was blimming cold that night, maybe 8 degrees and they served my orange juice up to the brim with ice! By the time i scooped all the ice cubes out, the orange juice filled about a quarter of the glass!

I ended up having a steak which was fine but very expensive! All the steaks run from $47 up which I thought was pretty steep seeing you also had to order side dishes seperately! I sneaked a peek at the bill which ran to over $1000 so I'm just pleased that I don;t have to try to explain that through my expenses!

My room had a balcony overlooking the pool which I didn't have time to use. Both the pool and the balcony I mean!

Decor was tasteful, bathtub was nice and deep, just how I like it! I was disappointed that the complementary bottled water only came at night when they had the turn-down service and wasn't available in the room.

The bathroom seemed a little dated but perhaps this goes with the decor?

Something I very rarely do but did this time was read the labels on the toiletaries and found it very amusing. For example on the body lotion:

"....this hand and body lotion perfumes, softens and smoothes your skin. For better results, have someone else apply it on you.". Now I looked and looked but couldn't find anyone to help me with this!

This theme continues with the shower gel. "....this shower gel cleans the body and mind, as long as you take a shower by yourself. If not, it only cleans the body."

The conditioner: this moisturising conditioner will smooth, soften and perfume your hair. The ones you have on your head, that is!" No kidding, it does say that!

The shampoo: "...this shampoo will wash your hair. And moisturise it. And makes it smell wonderful. And make you look beautiful. And that's it!"

Now, i wouldn't be surprised to read this in a hotel in Asia where the English isn't their first language but these were made in Canada!

I do attest that they all worked well though but I think the next time I come here, I'll take greater efforts to look for someone to help me apply these lotions here! Eiher that or stop reading the labels!

Great soft mattress, probably one of the best I've experienced!

I suspect my toliet was designed by a woman as teh seat wouldn't stay up when going for a number one!

Room Tip: I quite liked my room, (331) which despite the number, was on the lobby floor, as it had a balcony o...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank RayC888
Carlsbad, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

We live very close to the resort, so we frequent the dining area a few times a year. Most recently, we had a Living Social deal for drinks and appetizers. The drinks regularly priced are ridiculous, $15-30 for a cocktail or glass of wine so it's definitely worth it to find specials when you can.
Best Kir Royale and Creme brûlée I've ever had. We sat in the lounge by the fireplace which was lovely. The service is not great, so go for the ambiance and don't expect The Ritz.

• Stayed January 2013
      Cleanliness
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlsbad
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
Ocean Palms Beach Resort
Ocean Palms Beach Resort
#1 of 37 in Carlsbad
4.5 of 5 stars 771 reviews

Been to Park Hyatt Aviara Resort? Share your experiences!