“Amazing food and excellent service - Great owner too!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
PAON Restaurant & Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 259 Restaurants in Carlsbad
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Carlsbad Village Dr.
Transit: Coaster Rail station 100 yards from the restaurant.
Description: Paon restaurant offers California cuisine with French influences. Beautiful patio dining, elegant Art Deco in intimate dining setting. Private dining available in handsome club environment. Paon chef features seasonal, locally grown organic produce for the palates of fine food lovers from all over the world. Spotlighting organic prime meats, game and fish prepared with traditional French sophistication. Beautiful lounge with old Hollywood feel and relaxing patio in a Downtown Carlsbad Village atmosphere. Paon's knowledgeable and attentive staff looks forward to creating an exceptional experience.
San Diego, California
1,389 helpful votes 1,389 helpful votes
“Amazing food and excellent service - Great owner too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I went here earlier this week with one of my friends. We get together each week and try to go to a new place for dinner. He had already been here a few times as he lives fairly close. It was my first trip here but definitely worth the drive from the Rancho Santa Fe area, where I live.

There is plenty of street parking at night on the street around the restaurant. I didn't have any problem at all. Just note there is a wine bar and a restaurant on the other side. I saw a sign for the wine bar so I walked in there but had to go back and then to the side so probably easier if you just walk around to the main entrance to the restaurant.

We had reservations but it wasn't too busy as it was a Monday night. The host at the front door was very friendly. I was there first so I waited for my friend.

After we got seated, imagine my surprise when I found out the friendly host was the owner of the restaurant. That's always a good sign when you see a hands on approach owner in the restaurant.

The staff was all very efficient and friendly coming to the table several times. I got the filet mignon which was excellent. My friend got the Venison which he said was also very tasty. The homemade bread they start out was also great.

We got the creme brulee for dessert and it was also excellent!

The restaurant is really beautiful and a good atmosphere. The Trip Advisor reviews were spot on target with the excellent reviews. The owner was great and it's clear he cares about his customers. He came over during the dinner service to ask how everything was.

We were chatting with him and he said they have been there around 3 years now. He said due to the success, he opened up another more casual restaurant (Japanese food) across the street, so we'll have to try that one.

But definitely I highly recommend this place and will come again.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Vista, California
“What a great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

This was our first visit and it will not be our last! The food, service and atmosphere are top notch and combined make for a memorable experience. First the food, in a word it is superb. The first clue was the lack of salt & pepper on the tables and as we found there was no need as everything was seasoned perfectly. I had the spare ribs and my wife had the pheasant and we loved very morsel. The service was spot on, always there when desired and never there when not. I have never had a waiter as enthuiastic about their offerings as we encountered on this visit, ask for Jonathan, you will not be disappointed. We have already made plans for another visit this weekend.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Diego
“All six of us were not over impressed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

The food was good, but did not live up to its awards. We tried it on 4 different occasions and kept trying to like it but just cant get there. For the price we felt the food should be better then the average rating we gave it. The service was excellent, but thats not enough to bring us back.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Oceanside, California
“What's the bUZZ on Paon?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

I just happened to have a free afternoon last month and I was walking around downtown Carlsbad when I passed by Paon Wine Bar on Carlsbad Village Drive.

The store takes up the first half of the room and then a small bar takes over the back half. I sat with my friend at the bar and discovered a great place to relax and sip on a glass of wine, maybe some unusual tasters, and learn quite a bit from the wine connoisseur. I love finding places where I feel comfortable, and Paon provided me with an extremely enjoyable experience all around.

That is why I brought the bUZZ Ladies there the following month. It was set up for us to have 5 wine tastings and the Chef’s amuse bouche.

Walking into Paon the 2nd time around, I was quite surprised at how busy it was. There was only one table left for me and the bar was full. Quite a different story from 4 weeks previous. I wonder if it’s like that every night?

The ladies and I enjoyed some great (and not so great) wine tastings. That has nothing to do with Paon itself, but when the wine is described as smelling like petroleum, please don’t serve it to your guests. Ojai should be ashamed of themselves for creating such a poor tasting wine. Ugh!

The amuse bouche was a small taster plate that included a goat cheese puff, salmon tartare, and prosciutto. It was a delicious little sampling, but when you are tasting wine, be sure to order a larger portioned appetizer.

I can’t wait to go back and try the actual restaurant side of Paon. I had no idea it existed until I had to check in with the front desk. It was quite impressive. There will be a review on that end soon!

Visited March 2012
park city utah
“Pricey, but worth it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We sat at the bar and had a fabulous dinner with great service from the bartender. One of the few times I can say that an expensive restaurant was worth the money.

Visited February 2012