“Oh my oh my!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 276 restaurants in Carlsbad
Cuisines: Italian
“Oh my oh my!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Heard about Spirito's on diners drive in and dives so had to search it out. The owner and family members absolutely wonderful . The food magnificent . Had the veal parmigiana on the first visit and their double cheese and pepperoni pizza on the second visit. Both out of this world . Highly recommended.

100% Recommend
Pasadena, Maryland
“Authentic Italian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

My husband and I visited Spirito's after searching for food spots in Carlsbad that had been featured on TV. This one was a pick by Guy Fieri from Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives. You order food and drink at the front then you get a numbered card for your table, and then wait staff come over periodically to check to see how you're doing. Everyone was friendly without being too pushy. I got the homemade ravioli with tomato "gravy" (New Jersey term for sauce apparently...) and he got the Chicken Parmesan. Both were tasty, healthy portions but his was a little overcooked and slightly burned on the bottom. Not enough to ruin the dish but I figured it was worth noting. We both really enjoyed the sauce. The place itself had limited seating so I was glad we got there early enough to have a place to sit. That also probably explains the prompt service - they need to get people in and out. Recommended for those looking for authentic, homemade Italian like mom used to make.

Cranford, NJ
“East Coast Italian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Michael Spirito brought the Raviolis from his Grandfather's Restaurant in Elizabeth, NJ to the West Coast. We saw it on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives two weeks before our vacation in LA and made a trip down Highway 405 to check it out. The filling in the Raviolis were spot on, bringing the best to the West. My wife felt the dough was a bit thicker but great just the same. I was interested in the meatballs with Pine Nuts and Raisins. The bit of sweetness, coupled with the unsweetened sauce was delicious.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“Consistently Excellent - A Carlsbad Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Spirito's has the best thin crust pizza we've ever tasted - and we've had lots of east coast pizza before settling in SoCal. In fact, all of Spirito's dishes are excellent. It's a family owned restaurant and just going there, you feel like family. We've been frequenting Spiritos for about 20 years and during all that time, the food has been consistently delicious. Spirito's is a place we take out of town guests when we want to show off what really good pizza and Italian food taste like. We are so fortunate that Mike Spirito decided to open his restaurant in our wonderful town.

Spirito's was recently featured on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. As a result many more people are discovering this incredible eatery. You might have to wait for a table if you want to dine in but it's is so well worth the wait - regardless of how long it is. Yes, Spirito's is a fabulous gem.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
York, Pennsylvania
“Pretty good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Ate there twice. First time was with some business associates. Ordered their homemade raviolis since that was what they seemed to be famous for from Dives/Diners/Drive-Ins. Raviolis were huge, flavor was okay, not real exciting. Also had a meatball with raisins and pine nuts. They were very busy, had to eat off my lap outside. Seemed to be a frenzy around the time of the show airing. Went there again several weeks later with my wife and we shared a spinach lasagna and another meatball. Food seemed much better the second time, wasn't as busy. We were able to sit inside. Limited beer and soda selection in cooler.

• Visited September 2013