“Didn't quite live up to the hype.....” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 282 Restaurants in Carlsbad
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Indulge in authentic award-winning Mexican cuisine amidst lavish dining rooms and an enchanting outdoor patio at Casa de Bandini, located at The Forum in Carlsbad.
Kent, United Kingdom
“Didn't quite live up to the hype.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Don't get me wrong, convenient location close to a shopping complex, pleasant staff, reasonable value, quick service, popular, entertaining......most you could ever wish for. However we came to EAT and in that regard the quality was nothing to complain about BUT........I couldn't conclude anything different than it was quite predictable, with little flair or imagination. I got the feeling some dishes were simply racked up getting a little tired, waiting for someone to order them. For a location actually pretty close to Mexico itself, I was hoping for something a little more interesting. In comparison to The Wahaca chain in the UK, this lacked multi dimensional flavour, authenticity, and passion. Overall, decent enough, but I wouldn't ever rave about it.

Visited August 2013

“Get the large sangria!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The food is excellent every time. Make sure you get a large sangria. Can be shared amongst friends. Sit outside for the full romantic ambiance.

• Visited September 2013
Manhattan Beach, California, United States
“Great ambience for family friendly mexican dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We sat on the patio at this restaurant for dinner while staying nearby at La Costa resort. The Mariachi band was fabulous; the margaritas tasty and the food was excellent. It is pretty typical Mexican like you'd find in Old Town, without the crowd and drive. I ordered off their summer special menu and had a wonderful enchilada with fresh vegetables and avocado. We called ahead an hour before we were going to arrive and only had to wait about 5-10 minutes for a table.

San Diego, California
“Una Gran Experiencia Culinaria Mexicana”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Sometimes nothing but Mexican food will do! I was in one of those moods the other day but had a difficult time making a choice where to dine. After all, there is a wide spectrum of flavors and combinations offered at various Mexican restaurants. Sometimes one wants a particular item, which is prepared in a certain way at their favorite restaurant. Ordering it somewhere else might produce questionable results. Other times street tacos will do just fine.

On this day, neither choice would do. I wanted something lighter for lunch, but did not want to salad. This ordinarily might preclude a visit to a Mexican restaurant. At the suggestion of my friend. We went to Casa de Bandini in Carlsbad, California. The venue is quite attractive and the staff is exceptional. I felt I was once again in my favorite Mexican colony. When our waitress, Violeta, arrived to take our order, I told her I would like chile’s rellenos, but without the breading. She said she would check with the chef to see if that was possible. Within minutes the chef arrived at my table and said “No problema, Señor”. A few minutes later my order arrived exactly as described.

I am always impressed when it restaurant will go the extra measure to satisfy its customer. In this day and age, it seems this level of service is rare, and instead the diners are notified with a “no substitutions” attitude. At Casa de Bandini the food and service were both exceptional and I look forward to my return.

Alicante
“excellent value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was our first visit to this restaurant and we would certainly go back.Excellent food and service. Realy good value for money.The chicken burrito with mango salsa was delicious!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere