“It will be an amazing property as the next phases of construction are completed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Grand Vacations Club at MarBrisa

You added Hilton Grand Vacations Club at MarBrisa to your Saves list
Hilton Grand Vacations Club at MarBrisa
5500 Grand Pacific, Carlsbad, CA 92008   |
Ranked #25 of 35 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ardsley, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I was very impressed with the service. The manager Jorge, is amazing!. He is low keyed but right there when you need him. For example, when we wanted to go to the beach, as the location is quite a plus, and the resort did not have any beach chairs or beach umbrellas, Jorge made sure that two chairs were purchased and delivered to us and he personally picked up an umbrella from a sister property and had it delivered to our room as well. Certainly, beyond the call of duty:) The property is also in a perfect location for families with young children as it shares a private entrance to LEGOLAND with the Sheraton located next door. The property however, does lack activities for adults, as nothing was going on while we were there. The fitness center was very nice and I even brought my own DVD player and DVD to exercise to. DVD's can be taken to one's room on a complimentary basis to view and then returned for another selection. I must mention that the beds need feathered pillows. The only pillows available at the resort are foam. We saw the plans for the continuation of construction of this resort. It will have a magnificent lobby which is now very small, two beautiful pools, a sprawling site, etc. it has the potential to be truly magnificent. If one is looking for a timeshare and has a young family, this may be a good idea. Location-beach + legoland and potential of a future beautiful resort!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Paradise03Carlsbad, General Manager at Hilton Grand Vacations Club at MarBrisa, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Hi Ronales,

Thank you for reviewing Hilton Grand Vacations Club at MarBrisa. We're pleased to hear that Jorge was able to help you out throughout your trip and will certainly pass along your kind comments. Our location is perfect for families whom wish to visit Legoland as well as those who want to just relax and enjoy their vacations. We appreciate your feedback, as it helps us to understand the needs of our guests. The new pools, spas and recreation area will be opening early next year for you and the family to enjoy. We thank you again and look forward to having you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Despite some of the review I have read for this resort, this is an excellent vacation property. Accomadation was a good size and everything was clean and tidy on our arrival. Property is very well maintained and staff are freindly and attentive. No pushy sale pitch which was apleasent change. Would benifit from more on site facilities which are in the pipeline with the next phase but there is little fault to be found with the resort. With regard to a previous comment about noise from Legoland we stayed 12 day and there was never a problem there is the occasional background rumble but nothing obtrusive.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Hi IzzysDad,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Hilton Grand Vacations Club at MarBrisa. The quality of our guests' experiences is of the utmost importance and we are pleased to hear that you were happy with our accommodations and the cleanliness of our resort. We look forward to serving you the next time you and your family are in Carlsbad!
Towanda, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

The staff was outstanding, very helpful and informative, no high pressure review requested, units were very clean, well stocked, area very quiet and grounds well kept. Nice stepping off resort. Visited Joshua Tree National Park - wonderful - and other local attractions. Old Town San Diego was a treat with both free parking and free exhibits including a wonderful blacksmith demo and talk. Carlsbad is neat. Wineries in Temecula were great too.

Hi TravelingLady18848,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hilton Grand Vacations Club at MarBrisa with us. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as visiting Joshua Tree National Park, Old Town San Diego and the wineries in Temecula. We hope to have you back again soon!
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Before coming to Marbrisa, I read reviews complaining about things like a small pool, noise, poor staff, or other trivial things like lack of a full scale waterpark. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the resort is an excellent place to stay and that the poor reviews were quite nit picky.

The pool is not small. Based on some reviews, I was expecting a tiny suburban home pool. Visited on a hot day on a weekend and there were at many times over 30 people in the pool and there was still room for tons more.

Noise was not terrible. No worse than any other resort I have stayed at. If you dont want to see or encounter other people on your vacation, don't stay at a resort in an suburban area where there are people. Go to the wilderness and find a remote resort.

Staff was amazing. Activity center well staffed during our entire week stay. Concierge was amazing too. Super friendly and very helpful, especially for first time visitors to Southern CA.

Room was very nice. Super clean. We had a one bedroom plus kitchen and the kitchen worked great. Housekeeping did a good job on the day they cleaned over our week stay.

The only downside is that there is not a restaurant on site if that is important to you. However, Carlsbad and Solana Beach have so many restaurants there is no shortage of choice.

I would highly recommend staying at this resort.

Hi MinnGuy007,

Thank you for reviewing Hilton Grand Vacations Club at MarBrisa. Guest services, cleanliness, and accommodations are just some of our resort's highest priorities. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Our staff is always on site, ready and willing to assist you at any time. We thank you for your recommendation and look forward to your return in the future!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

As a Hilton Grand Vacation Club owner, I was very disappointed by my 8-night visit to the MarBrisa, August 25-September 2, 2012. I have traveled many times to HGVC Club properties, but this was the first time that I did not absolutely love the resort or activities (and the four other family members who traveled with me, and who have also been with me to the other HGVC Club properties, share in my assessment). I felt “duped.” This resort falls way BELOW the typical standards I have come to expect at a true HGVC Club property and owner. In fact, I do not think that it should even be listed on the website as a club resort. The lobby, pool area, workout room, and activity center/kids club are all severely wanting. There's no on-site restaurant or bar (only at the Sheraton). The resort nickel and dimes for things that are STANDARD at other HGVC properties, e.g. laundry soap, kids club activities, wine tasting. And there is really no staff on duty to circulate amongst the guests to interact, take orders or provide the quality service that we have come to expect as HGVC owners. VERY DISAPPOINTING! This should really be marketed as a “sister” property because of its affiliation with Sheraton and the on-site arrangements and contracted staff.

(1) GAS GRILLS: were not in working order, only some rows would light. Reported problem; not fixed. Old. No directions visible on units. Inadequate number to accommodate guests. Should have sign-up and/or limit amt. of time grills can be used so everyone gets a chance to use them.

(2) CHECK-IN: Made 2 back-to-back reservations b/c used club points and bonus points. Hotel didn't have reservations jived together, so parking pass and ID card were wrong. Were also going to make us switch rooms in the middle of the week even though the reservation was booked at the same time, for the same 2-bedroom, and under the same name!

(3) HOUSEKEEPING: Fine at check-in, but told room would be cleaned on 4th day. Called to confirm cleaning day with manager-on-duty; no one cleaned the room. Next day maid came, but she left next to no linens or toiletries and we had 5 people in the room. It was a pain to have to go around and beg for towels, washcloths, soap/shampoo, coffee/tea, etc.

(4) STAFF: What staff? Other than the office, there was really no one on duty. Unlike other HGVC properties, no one was at the pool to collect towels, take drink/food orders, talk with guests, etc. Even the Activity Center was dead most of the day. It was only staffed during a set activity. Upon departure no one from the front desk even bothered to ask us about our stay. No one said “thank you for coming” or “we hope to see you back.” That pretty much sealed the deal. Horrible customer service.

(5) PARKING: only 1 parking pass was given for our entire group. For a resort that size, we shouldn't have to park a second car blocks away at the Sheraton. That's ridiculous, esp. when we had a Handicapped individual. Handicapped parking was extremely limited and insufficient. Every night it was filled.

(6) CABANA: We tried to book one of the pool cabanas for a Saturday. We asked the front desk on 4 occasions. We were told it was fully booked. Then on Saturday, it sat empty during the time we had wanted it. I even went AGAIN to the desk to ask them about it, and was again told it was booked for the whole day. When we finally saw someone, we asked her about it and she said that she had told the desk to cancel the reservation for the first half of the day some time ago, but that they had "forgotten" and still charged her for it. Very frustrating for her and us.

(7) ACTIVITY CENTER: Horrible. Every other HGVC we've been to has phenomenal activities and a great kids' club. This was the worst. The activities were so bad and there was a fee for just about everything. Even the wine tasting cost $15/couple. We've never paid for that before. We felt nickel-and-dimed on everything. The facilities for the kids were the worst. No computers/internet, no real gaming area, no fun field trips or FT/dedicated staff to work during the day with the kids. Having a great kids club is one of the #1 reasons I go to HGVC; I want a break from parenting. BIG disappointment.

(8) POOL: Worst pool we've seen at a HGVC. No slides, no waterfalls, and only one for the entire resort. It was boring. Worse, there was almost no place to sit. People put towels on the chairs/lounge chairs in the morning to save their spots, and then left them vacant for hours at a time. No staff ever came to remove the towels. At other HGVC resorts, the staff places 30 minute warning cards on the spots. If someone doesn't come back and remove them, then the towels are removed so that others can make use of the seat. And if your villa is far away; you are going to have a LONG walk. There are no stairs connecting the lower levels with the pool, so you have to walk all the way up the hill and around just to get in.

(9) DAY PASSERS: totally inexplicable. I am a Hilton owner. I thought this was a FULL HGVC property. This is mismarketed; it should be listed as a sister resort. There are apparently owners who acquired their time share rights PRIOR to Hilton purchasing the property that still have user rights. They can obtain "day passes" to use the resort - and they do so with full abandon! Every weekend the resort filled up with carloads of locals who came to use the pool and grills. Since many of them didn't have a room to store their stuff, they took over the limited seating at the pool and by the grills. They occupied it for the day and made things very crowded. This is unacceptable. I buy into Hilton so that I can feel like I have exclusive ownership rights. This was totally under-cut by the day-pass process.

(10) STAIRS: whoever designed this resort did not give much thought to how it was laid out. There are no stairs going down from the pool to the villas at the bottom of the hill. The walk is very long and uphill. Additionally, if you visit LEGOLAND, and want to walk from the private entrance back to the resort along the paved road, there are no steps that go up to the resort/villas. You have to climb up the hill or walk way out of your way to get back to the resort. It became such a nuisance to walk out of our way, that we just tried to go up the hill all the time, but it was very steep and slippery and almost fell down the hill.

(11) SHUTTLE: the main draw of the resort is its close proximity to LEGOLAND and the private entrance. It saves from having to park in the parking lot. However, the private entrance closes at 6:30 p.m. The end of day dance party doesn't end until 6:20 p.m. - and it's at the opposite end of the park. So if you stay for the dance party, you have to exit from the MAIN ENTRANCE which is a very far walk from the resort. According to the HGVC office staff, there is NO shuttle to pick up guests. That's crazy. They should make one run at 6:30 p.m. to accommodate people in this position. The Sheraton next door runs a shuttle, and we originally were told we could use it (later no; not for MarBrisa guests), but when we tried, the wait was sometimes longer than 30 minutes.

(12) CONCIERGE: on the night we checked in, there was a man working the concierge desk. He was VERY unfriendly and ever so unhelpful. The WORST concierge I've ever encountered. I cannot for the life of me understand why he would be working customer service with his personality. He couldn't answer the most basic of questions about activities in the San Diego area and seemed "put out" by our exchange. We didn't buy a thing from him b/c he was so useless. Instead, I went online and purchased everything myself. Before our arrival, I also attempted several times to contact the hotel directly via email to get activity information. No one responded for many weeks. I re-sent my e-mail and when the resort finally did respond, they sent me the wrong week’s information. When I replied, no one bothered to respond or follow-up. HORRIBLE customer service from the supposed concierge services dept.

IN CONCLUSION: The resort and SoCA location were beautiful, and we did manage to have a good time on our vacation, but our overall stay at the HGVC property was the worst we've ever experienced. We've been to Parc Soleil, Sea World, Int'l Drive, Grand Waikikian, and Hilton Papagayo in Costa Rica. I am careful to select properties based on TRUE HGVC vs. sister properties and I feel very deceived by the MarBrisa. There was a miniscule lobby with one computer, no business center, no true activity/kids club, and a very basic pool. There supposed "ocean view" is ridiculous; it's nowhere close to the resort and you can barely make it out in the horizon. Staff was almost non-existent, and even those in the activity center said they aren't employed by Hilton, but by the adjacent Sheraton. And with all of the "day passers" on site, it was a very different "owner" experience. Until the MarBrisa completes the PHASE II upgrades, I wouldn't even consider returning or recommending this property to friends, family, or fellow owners.

Room Tip: Close to the pool and lobby so that you don't have to walk up the hill.
Hi Jackster89,

Thank you for reviewing Hilton Grand Vacations Club at MarBrisa. We apologize for the dissatisfaction throughout you and your family's stay, as this is not the experience we strive to provide for our guests and members. It is the resort's priority to make sure that our guests are accommodated in a timely fashion as well as able to enjoy all that our resort has to offer. We would appreciate the chance to speak with you directly regarding your stay and invite you to please email us at gpmreservations@gpresorts.com with your contact information and a member of our staff will be in touch with you immediately.
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Once again, Hilton Grand Vacation Club scores with a fabulous resort. I really loved its sister site down the street, Grand Pacific Palisades, and did not know what to expect from this one. Marbrisa's lay-out is sprawling and not very centralized. It's under construction so I can't wait to see the finished resort. In any event, we stayed in a room that was just above a Legoland roller coaster. Luckily, Legoland was the purpose of our trip, so when the roller coaster started and the squeals of kids reached us, we considered it to be the bell announcing that it's time to leave the room. With the doors closed, you can't hear the sounds of Legoland. Luckily, Legoland has reasonable hours of 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., so your early mornings and evenings are quiet. Marbrisa shares privileges with the Sheraton. So one evening, we watched Toy Story 3 by Sheraton's pool and had room service delivered to our lounge chairs. The kids burger combo was surprisingly reasonably priced. Lastly, the private entrance and parking to Legoland that Marbrisa offers sets this resort above its sister site for me. To park so close to the entrance which is at the back of the park and enter and exit at will really made the trip so hassle free. This really comes in handy when the kids get wet from all of the water rides and features that Legoland has, and you can go back to your room and change. The resort is close to Costco (within a mile), Trader Joe's (about 3 miles away), and the beach. It was just a great time for all of us. We were so happily busy that we have to return in the spring to check out the other area attractions like the Wild Animal Park which we didn't get a chance to visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the Sheraton and towards the back -- across the way from Legoland. The Legl...
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

This is our first year to use our membership and we brought our family. Even though we live in San Diego, this is a great get-away place with lots to do for the grandkids. Except for lack of elevators and a bit of a walk to the pool, everything is very nice. We will look forward to staying next year!

Room Tip: If you have kids, ask for a unit around the pool area.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Grand Vacations Club at MarBrisa? Share your experiences!