“Very Poor Experience with HGV, Nice facility, OK service” 2 of 5 stars

5500 Grand Pacific, Carlsbad, CA 92008   |
Ranked #24 of 35 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Gilbert, Arizona
“Very Poor Experience with HGV, Nice facility, OK service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

We stayed at this resort during a trip to Legoland and to sit through a presentation for Hilton Grand Vacations. The room was nice and we had a nice view. The service was not great though. We got in late and requested a crib and had to follow up on it, we finally got the crib about 30 minutes after arriving during which my wife had to hold our baby while we waited. The staff just didn't seem to concerned. The staff the next day was friendlier and helped to redeem the night staff.

When we listened to the sales pitch on the Hilton Grand Vacation the sales person was going through the motions and I doubt the story he was trying to sell us on was even true. At the end he started throwing a tantrum like my 5 year old when we told him no. He told us that we would join him in getting a divorce because we didn't buy this to ensure our vacations. It was a very bad experience with the HGV portion. We would have continued to consider it until he did what he did and then we just said no way. He couldn't take no for an answer and then started getting personal and very petty. I won't go back to this property even though the location is very close to Legoland.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

We were not able to get a room with a water view but were told we would have a park view. They failed to tell us that the park view was actually a parking lot view at the golf course across the street just in front of the power lines. Very disappointing and noisy early in the morning when the golf course crew came out to mow the course and greens and the restaurant trucks came with deliveries. The room was very nice with a nice kitchen. The bedroom furniture was very comfortable, however the living room furniture was very cheap and unconfortable. TV's in each room was a plus. Parking was adequate however you have steps going up and down if you are not on the second floor. All in all, we checked out four days early and went on up the road to Carmel to visit a friend in an otherwise unplanned trip. It saved the vacation. I would not recommend the Marbrisa.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Frisco, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

This place is totally misrepresented on the website!!! Although the staff were nice and polite, the location is so bad that it is almost a joke. Whatever you do, do NOT accept a room in Bldg. 51, you will be overlooking the backlot/trash dumpster of Legoland. Oh yes and the sand volleyball area will be exactly 3 feet from your back patio/balcony. Not enough parking (had to park in Sheraton parking lot), no sidewalks or steps to the amenities if you stay in the lower buildings. I never complain about places and usually try to find the best in things (so as not to ruin my vacations), but this place totally had me aggravated from the minute I got there.....I am so disappointed in Hilton for even putting this property in their gallery of resorts!!!! Please research carefully and the "virtual tour" on the website is just that,,,,,,,a cartoon!!!!!!

Room Tip: Dont stay in any of the lower buildings.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Woodland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

We stayed here this past summer when Hilton Grand vacations solicited us to come try out the facility - the stay cost us about $450 for our family of six for 3 days. A bargain!!! We were promised a $200 rebate on our next stay at a Hilton Hotel. WOW!!!! When we went to San Francisco 6 weeks later, we spent a night at the Hilton. I sent in all the paperwork, waited 8 weeks, then followed up. They say my claim is denied because the names don't match . . . but the rebate form and the S.F. receipt are EXACTLY the same. I faxed my copies in but I have been put off for days now and have been told it will take 7-10 days to "escalate" my complaint and investigate further. This is after being sent to a room at the MarBrisa that was not yet cleaned, in fact there was vomit on the kitchen floor and the bathroom was disgusting. We waited an hour for management to sort things out, they finally moved us to a room on another floor. The pool was filthy, all sorts of trash floating in it. They never had towels available by the pool, nor enough chairs for people to sit and watch their kids swim. I used to be a fan of Hilton, I belong to their rewards club, but at this point, I don't care if I ever stay in another Hilton affiliated place again. Don't even ask me how the sales pitch to buy in to Hilton Grand Vacations went . . . and that was before I discovered they probably will never pay up on the $200 rebate.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Paradise03Carlsbad, General Manager at Hilton Grand Vacations Club at MarBrisa, responded to this review, October 5, 2011
Thank you for the feedback related to your experience at Hilton Grand Vacations Club at MarBrisa. We strive to exceed your expectations and it seems we fell short during your recent stay.

I invite you to contact me at your convenience to further discuss your experience.

Warm regards,
Ben Sjodin

5500 Grand Pacific Drive I Carlsbad I California I 92008
Direct: 760.828.4520 I Fax: 760.828.4521 I E: bsjodin@gpresorts.com
Impact Lives, Exceed Expectations…Come Live the Dream!
Henderson, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Had a wonderful view of Legoland (definitely a need for a sarcasm font).
Front desk staff was not exactly rude on check in, but not helpful, either. Called at 8 pm one evening and no one answered the phone at the front desk (tried twice), so not sure how friendly or helpful someone at this place could possibly be.
The concierge tried to be helpful.
The one bedroom was just a nice hotel room with a microwave and a refrigerator. I can get the same thing at the Hampton Inn.
Where we were located, you had to haul up a very steep hill by walking on the road, or drive up there, where there was no parking, to get to the pool. (When we checked in, about 6 children swimming in the hot tub.) Not enough parking spaces for the resort, period.
If you want to go see the beach, you have to get in your car and drive there.
Could hear the family next door, through the connecting door. Could here cabinets closing, dishes rattling, baby crying, etc. I don't think they were really trying to be loud, I just think the door needs some major sound proofing.
Tried to drink my coffee on the patio in the morning (6 AM) and got to listen to Legoland test the rollercoaster and clean the park. If you are here sitting on your patio between the hours of 9 and 5, you get to listen to Legoland in full swing (we were fortunate enough to get to listen to all the people yelling on the rollercoaster up close and personal).
If you like noise, this is the place to be.
We asked for a different room and just got a flat "NO". Not sure if they are that booked, or just indifferent.

Room Tip: Good luck with that one.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Our family of 5 stayed at the resort for our annual family vacation - June 2011. Upon arrival we were met by a young staffers. While there is nothing wrong with that as HGVC members we're use to more attentive welcome. I was shocked to discover that there was no elevator! We were on the 3rd. floor. I had hurt my knee earlier in the week so dragging my bags, groceries, and laundry up 3 flights of stairs was a bit much. We was underwhelmed by the rooms. We had a two-bedroom suite which seemed so tight and small. In addition, we had a bug problem and our bedroom phone didn't work. We waited two days to get a response. Inexcusable!! The driving distance in getting to amusements ie: Sea World, Disney, Knottsberry Farm even the movies was between 40 - 90 minutes depending on traffic.We spent more time in the car. The surrounding area was quiet. but beyond Legoland (which is right next door) there didn't seem to be enough for three teenagers to really do. The weather was colder than expected as well. The one positive note I do have was their onsite restaurant!! Kudos to the expeditious room service and delicious dinner and dessert we received. I don't think we will return to this particular resort anytime soon.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
West Hills, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

We're owners of HGVC so we frequent this place. We love it here. Great location! It's right next to Lego Land and the water park. Just about a mile from Carlsbad beach and easy drive to all of San Diego's theme parks. The staff is awesome. You need anything, you just have to call and within a few minutes, it's taken care of. The pool is awesome with a great ocean view. We've stayed at both the one and two bedrooms and they're equally great. It's on par with most Hilton timeshares and way better than most RCI resorts. We've stayed here 4 times and every time it's been awesome. This resort is supposed to grow 3 times as big with a huge pool area. Can't wait!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Grand Vacations Club at MarBrisa? Share your experiences!