“too good but true” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
usa
“too good but true”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2008

Their staff is from some other planet or something. They hardly seem real in the era of bad customer service. These people go way out of there way to make guests feel wecome. Everything is great. I have nothing but praise for them.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — why can't I move in there?
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2008

We stayed here for Memorial Day Weekend and had an excellent experience. The staff was very, very nice and the hotel sparkled. The location is great. We have 2 kids and the movies on the lawn at night was so much fun for them. We were served popcorn and snowcones! They also have cookies every afternoon and a coffee.hot chocolate station every morning. The buffet breakfast was excellent and kids are 1/2 price. This was the most family friendly hotel we have ever stayed in.

• Liked — the staff, activities and cookies
  • Disliked — -----
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2008

Just finished staying 5 days at the Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad. It's a really nice hotel and in a great location. Right on PCH 1 and I had room facing the Ocean. It was wonderful and the hotel is in great condition. The staff was excellent and very cordial.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again and again. ( Side Note: Jack Hanna , a fixture on David Letterman's Show and animal conservationist, was staying in the hotel that same week with his wife. Excellent place to put in for surfing nearby at this Hotel and ride bikes. )

• Liked — HGI are all very comfortable.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Roswell
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2008

Just completed a 2 night stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach and have nothing but good things to say about the short stay. The location accross from the Ocean is also only about 3 minutes from Legoland and is about 35 minutes from Wild Animal Park. As a runner I particularly enjoyed running along the bluffs to the sounds and sight of the crashing surf. I also approeciated the host at the front desk meeting me with a towel and bottled water after I completed my run. Nice touch. The rooms are modern with flat screen TV's and about a dozen High Def channels. Bed's were comfy and the grounds are actually nicely kept for what I usually consider a business hotel. I would definitely stay again when in the Oceanside/Carlsbad area.

• Liked — The location right on Carlsbad Beach
  • Disliked — Lack of free breakfast
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
York, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

This is a nice hotel overall. However, I get the feeling that the high ratings for this hotel are given by locals getting out of the city for a weekend who perhaps don't have other locations to compare it to. Maybe compared to other local options it is a good choice, but compared to other beach-front hotels I have stayed at in other locations, this one is definitely low on my recommendation list.

It is a clean facility with a nice heated pool and the staff are friendly.

The location is not that great as there is not much within walking distance. The beach is across a busy 4-lane road and down a sizable cliff which many people probably won't attempt to descend.

The room we stayed in with an ocean view was about as plain as they come with business traveler amenities, which did not appeal to us on a wedding anniversary vacation.

The biggest disappointment at this hotel was the price tag on everything. The bottles of water in our room were even charged to us at ridiculous prices. I don't know if this is a Hilton standard or just life in California as it was my first time staying in both, but it did leave a sour aftertaste, especially after paying over $250 per night.

I wish we would have tried a bed and breakfast.

• Liked — Clean; Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2008

We have been staying at this hotel every year for 4 to 6 days at a time since about 6 months after it opened. It started when we brought our 2-year-old daughter to LEGOLand for her birthday. The trip has become a tradition for every year since. For my daughter, it is like coming home.

Since it was brand new when first we saw it, we have been able to see how it ages, and witness any possible changes in the running and management of it. Well, as it has now been 8 years since that first visit, I can honestly state the the service is still outstanding, the rooms are regularly fixed up - new mattresses, furniture, etc. - and the staff remain mostly the same people.

A large number of the desk personnel, engineering guys, maid service people and restaurant staff are the same as when the place first opened. I feel that, especially in a hotel of this size, it says a lot about management that staff remain so loyal. They have also been very accommodating for our child with us, and judging from other kids that we have seen about the place, all seem to be having a similarly great time.

Parking has never been a problem, and the area is beautiful. A few miles down the coast is the town of Carlsbad - full of great restaurants, neat shops, and lots to do. (We have our usual favourite places to eat as well.) The beaches are right there, and the hotel will provide extra towels for you if you need them for the beach or pool.

It is always a pleasure to return - the staff are friendly, and make sure that you are happy with everything. The only problem we have is that our daughter - now 10 years old - compares everything to the Carlsbad Hilton; leading to many remarks along the lines of "It's not as good as the Hilton, is it?"

I know that this review sounds rather effusive, but it is not often that I so wholeheartedly believe in an enterprise. I have recommended this place to many of my friends over the years, and all seem to have been similarly happy with it.

• Liked — Everything always looks clean and new.
  • Disliked — Having to leave....
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
Vista, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2008

Wow, I have stayed at a lot of hotels, but non of them come close to the attention and care we received at this hotel. From the first phone call, the front desk man had me laughing and enjoying myself. When we checked in we found he upgraded us for our Anniversary. The room was beautiful and extremely comfortable. Everyone was so pleasant and seemed to sincerely care that we had a good time. I told the manager the only problem was that they spoiled us so much we were depressed when we got home.

• Liked — The caring and very helpful, friendly staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach? Share your experiences!