“Great location, parking sucks” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Rent 2 Get 1 FREE
Ranked #10 of 34 hotels in Carlsbad
Tucson, Arizona
“Great location, parking sucks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

This place reminds me of classic California. Old school bungalows with kitchen and cheap furniture. Our room had a full size refrigerator, full size stove and oven, but NO microwave. I found that beyond odd. The refrigerator was massive, but not having a microwave was an inconvenience. Parking at this place is just screwed. I think the "free parking" is misleading. Yes, there are like 10 spots on the property that are free to use, but there are probably 50+ rooms/units. Check-in guy was cool and relaxed, told me to park along one of the adjacent streets. Considering we vacation on the CA coast a few times/year for the last 15 years, I can assure you that parking here in peak season would be a disaster. I am not even sure what the hotel would do, but I suggest you ask them before you book if parking is important to you. The room was fine, but definitely "old school". The bathroom looks like original from the 50's or 60's with mint green tile and sink. The kitchen cabinets appear to be plywood painted white, fine, but definitely bargain basement. The night stands, wardrobe, and "entertainment center" are low-end chipboard and show some wear. Same with the ceiling fan, blades are warped and falling apart. Carpet looks very tired, but was clean. The courtyard here is great, gas powered fire pits and fireplace look great. The pool and hot tub were very nice and clean. Overall, I liked this place, but would not likely stay here again because of the parking. The room can be renovated, and probably will be, but the lack of parking will be a chronic problem with this property.

Room Tip: Ask if room has microwave, ours did not. Ask about parking.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

405 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We just had a huge family reunion, and we all decided to stay at the Ocean Palms beach resort. We all had a really good time and hated for it to end. We were already planning on when we would stay at this resort again next year. The beach is across the street. We could go for long walks and find small seashells. There is a boardwalk to walk on along the ocean. The stores and restaurants are within walking distance. The rooms had kitchens where we could cook our meals also. Albertsons grocery store is a short drive down the street. There are also gas firepits to sit around at night and talk or roast marshmallows. Everyone had a great time!

Room Tip: We chose rooms facing the beach that had kitchens, which worked out really well.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Wow. Just... Wow. Just returned from a weekend at Ocean Palms Beach Resort, and I don't know where to begin! Truly amazing. From the first phone call when I spoke with Tina, until the ease of checkout with Miles, and everything in between was perfect. The room was beautiful, nice clean white linens, several different pillows, big windows, stainless fridge and granite countertops in the full kitchen. The grounds were lush and green, and well manicured. The people working the front desk were smiley and happy. And eager to help. There was always fresh baked cookies and hot coffee ready. The beach is across the alley, with stairs leading into the sand. And the beach is clean and beautiful. Be sure to catch a sunset out there! Just amazing. The hotel is also close to the village, so lots of restaurants to walk to. I can't wait to go back! I will send my family to stay there, and any friends, anyone who wants a beautiful time in Carlsbad for a great price:)
Also, about a mile down the road, there's a crazy good breakfast place called Beach Break... OMGOSH!! Soooo yummy!! And you HAVE to try the coffee cake!! You are welcome!! Ha!!

• Stayed February 2013
Franklin, Tn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife usually finds us a place to stay when we travel and she almost always does her research. We stayed at Ocean Palms. I was very impressed with her selection. The unit we rented was immaculate and spacious. I really liked the Dutch door and the kitchen area. We were able to ask friends over for a visit and I enjoyed being able to use the guest gas grill. We were able to enjoy the outside area with the palm trees and outdoor guest fireplace. With the beach just across the street, we took a very short walk down to the ocean and enjoy our surroundings. This place was also convenient, walking distance, to stores and restaurants. What a great choice, we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
The Colony, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This was my first time to the San Diego area and albeit I was in Carlsbad for business, my cozy beach cottage made it feel more like a vacation! My business partner booked my hotel accommodations on my behalf so I had no idea what to expect. When I arrived, it was dark, but I could tell it was very tropical! I was a tad underwhelmed with my room, so when I went to inquire about the internet connectivity, I was conversing with the hotel staff and they upgraded me to a WONDERFUL mini suite with granite countertops, an amazing shower and a Jacuzzi hot tub! I was blown away by the staff's friendliness and the hotel accommodations. LOVED the fire pits and the pool. This truly was a Hawaiian resort on the CA coast. HIGHLY recommend this resort for pleasure, extended stay, or business travel.
Shelli D.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

We had a 5 month stay at this wonderful place like being in Hawaii,but in Carlsbad, California. So very sad to leave!!!! The best of all is the owner, Barry Blue with his warmth, sincere ness and hospitable manner. Also, his management team was devoted to make sure the quests had a very positive experience. The 2 Ocean Palms doggies Pookie and PooBear also welcomes the quests. Less than 100 feet from the ocean gave this place a tropical peaceful flare. Amenities included FREE coffee, fresh fruit, Danishes, and fresh oven-baked cookies. The list continues with a heated oversized pool with changing lights in the evening hours. The jacuzzi was hot, clean, and delightful. Flowers everywhere you looked and changed frequently. So much attention to detail. Plants, palm trees,remarkable vegetation makes one feel so close and cozy with natural beauty. Hand carved tiki trees hidden in this tropical forest . To add to one's enjoyment, fire pits to warm you in the evening. Finally, you get To feel like family and can't wait to return to this boutique hotel, AHOLA

• Stayed January 2013
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

The last few years we have met our sons in Carlsbad for Christmas week. It is not Hawaii but for those of us from the frozen Northwest walking on the beach, in the sun no less, on Christmas day is wonderful.
We've stayed a few places in Carlsbad, so far all of them nice, but this was a great stay right across the street from the beach for what I think is a great price. They have done a good job of updating an older resort. Our unit had a kitchen which I think is a big plus. And the staff could not have been nicer. It is clean, has nice grounds, a pool, hot tub, and gas fired fire pits which were great even in December. From here you can walk anywhere in town.
There aren't many downsides that I can think of. The bathroom was tiny and the shower was even smaller. If this bothers you ask for a unit with a new bathroom when you make reservations.The kitchen had a full sized range and fridge. I'd suggest that a half sized fridge would have been plenty.
We'll go back next year.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if you are a light sleeper, people go here to have a good time, and some rooms...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ocean Palms Beach Resort? Share your experiences!