“Close to Legoland” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Carlsbad by the Sea Resort

You added Carlsbad by the Sea Resort to your Saves list
Carlsbad by the Sea Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   850 Palomar Airport Road, Carlsbad, CA 92011 (Formerly Holiday Inn Carlsbad by the Sea)   |
Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Carlsbad
“Close to Legoland”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

Average but adequate hotel. Rooms sizable but overall place is showing signs of age. Fun pool for the kids. Don't eat at the TGI Fridays. Even our hotel shuttle driver recommended we eat else where!! Very dirty. Not that friendly even on a quiet Saturday afternoon. Food less than average.
Pros: defiantly the proximity to Legoland. You can walk or the friendly hotel drivers will shuttle you to the location (about a mile)...,

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We went to visit Lego Land in April 2015, We had never been to that side of the Southern California, the hotel was OK, but upon our departure, the next day, I had a $20.00 charge for something , so I called the hotel to find out what the charge was for & the clerk that answered, said I had stolen 2 towels from my room, I said excuse me, but I didn't take no towels, I don't need to steal, without knowing that I did or didn't take them, they just assumed I did, they charged my card.. I'm sorry but, they can't go around doing this: they claim that the housekeeper counted the towels 2 short, when I talked with the manager, that's what he told me.. I asked him ..How do you know she didn't take them.. I don't know about other people ..but there is no way that I would ever do that, I'm sure there are people that do, but I'm not one of them..Who wants to steal those cheap hotel towels, that have been re-used by so many people ? Not me.. Not for that price.. $10.00 a towel..REALLY.. I don't think so.. So people beware when you visit there.. My family & I will never ho back there ever again, I booked them they Expedia ..When it came to me telling the manager that I was going to Sue the Hotel for wrongful accusations.. He took another tone..Because they didn't have any proof at all. And as God as my witness.. I didn't do it ..Sincerely : A Very Dissatisfied Customer

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Visited carlsbad for legoland. This place offers a great location in that its close by (walking distance) to the shopping outlets and various restaurants. This hotel offers free shuttle to and from legoland. We just drove on our own as the shuttle service is a small van and the wait time can be long.

Pro:
1) location is awesome, close to freeway, fast foods, gas station, costco, legoland
2) rooms are clean, fridge, free but choppy wifi, ample parking
3) reasonably priced, stayed wkday at around one one zero a night.
4) staff are very friendly

Con:
Only thing i can think of is breakfast. Its free so the quality and selection is limited. Still decent though.

Petersburg, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We went there for our family trip. Besides the place being beautiful they have a warm pool & a great free breakfast. They even dropped us off at Lego Land & picked us up. So we didn't half to pay for parking. We also loved that it was so close to the ocean & a great beach. We got to enjoy the biggest & most beautiful sunset I have ever seen. Also there help was very friendly I love that. All around great experience!

Room Tip: We didn't really care were in the hotel we were because the whole place was so nice. We did say...
Vancouver, British Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed here for our visit to Legoland. The location was perfect and close to the outlet as well. The hotel was old with renovations and the buildings were spread out so you would have to walk outside to the lobby and dining room, but I didn't mind it because it was nice to stroll around their cute garden and gazebos. We had two rooms and they were interconnected which worked out well for us. The breakfast dining room was huge, however the items could have been a little better. They had two hot items but I missed a waffle maker I had used in the previous(and cheaper) hotel. The outdoor pool was smallish but cute.
Some important drawbacks: the coffee maker in my room was missing one component and water would not come down. And in the other room where our relatives stayed their toilet clogged and water was overflowing. Water pressure was low overall.
When we told the staff this upon checking out they took note of that and apologized but it was a bit disappointing because I would have liked this hotel quite a lot otherwise.

Orange City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The staff was terrific and our apartment was perfect for our family of six. Five adults and one child. The only negative for us was that on check out we could only extend it by one hour. If we wanted to stay any additional time it was going to cost us $50/hour. However, we could use all the amenities all day and that is exactly what we did. I will definitely go back. Right across the street from the beach, very clean and lots to do for both adults and children.

Courtenay, British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I've stayed in this hotel twice now and it's very good location in terms of great restaurants and shopping. The Carslbad Premium Outlets and the Flower Fields is across the hotel and PF Chang Restaurant (which is one of my favourites) is also walking distance from this accommodation. It's not near the beach (so the name is a little tricky being "by the sea) but the swimming pool and hot tub are good if you have kids. They also have shuttle going to Legoland which is a 5 minute drive from this hotel's location.

Room Tip: Be ready to splurge on shopping as the outlet is very near this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled solo

Been to Carlsbad by the Sea Resort? Share your experiences!