“Average Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Carlsbad by the Sea Resort

Save Saved
You added Carlsbad by the Sea Resort to your Saves list
Carlsbad by the Sea Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   850 Palomar Airport Road, Carlsbad, CA 92011 (Formerly Holiday Inn Carlsbad by the Sea)   |
Ranked #27 of 34 hotels in Carlsbad
Stansted Mountfitchet, United Kingdom
“Average Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We arrived here for one night on a business trip. The hotel rooms are spacious and you get a small selection of essentials in the bathroom.

The breakfast was OK but i'm not sure if the milk was off or not but it tasted really, really strange. I ended up having fruit and yogurt.

A short walk to the shops over the street from hotel made up for things a bit.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

348 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Glendale, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent last Sunday night here, using air miles for a free hotel stay.

The staff was super nice. They allowed us to check in hours early and stored our luggage on check-out day. Every staff member that we encountered was friendly and helpful.

The room was decent. It looked recently remodeled and we had a prime spot on the lower level, as close to the pool as you can get. The internet seemed spotty at first, but we discovered that it works perfectly if you are sitting at the desk. The bed was comfy and overall I liked the decor in the room. We didn't use it, but I appreciated that the room had a microwave.

We used the pool/jacuzzi three times. Since it's winter and cold, we had it all to ourselves and it was fantastic. Nice, clean and a good size. I would love to come back when the weather is warmer.

It's located in a prime location for Carlsbad activities, just across the street from the outlets.

The breakfast buffet was okay. I wouldn't have paid for it, but it was nice that it was free. They had a few hot items, but we stuck with bagels and cereal. It's simple, but good.

Overall, we found the hotel to be clean, safe and comfortable. It's not a luxury hotel, but it's nice and would be good for families. We would stay here again and recommend it.

Please visit my blog for pictures of our trip and other travel reviews and musings.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the freeway.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Clean, nice rooms, very good customer service. The complimentary breakfast is nice and free acess to fitness room very convenient. Mid week value can't be beat. Would recommend and would stay here again.

Room Tip: East side - away from the highway.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed here on our trip to Legoland. Very nice hotel and staff is very friendly. We were the only ones on the shuttle to Legoland and the ride was quick! The driver picked us up from Legoland when we were ready to go back. Breakfast was also very nice. Lots to choose from for a continental breakfast. Hotel is located directly across the street from an outlet mall and many restaurants to include fast food as well. Short drive to the ocean to watch beautiful sunsets. Also, there is a computer and printer in the lobby that guests can use free of charge.

One complaint! We went to the hot tub and when I sat down I felt as if I was being poked by a bunch of little needles. I stood up and tried to sit again, but the same thing happened. We decided to leave. At first I thought it was the chemicals. I tried to wash everything off, but it didn't help. I soon came to realize that the poking was from fiberglass! Ouch! Luckily the front desk staff had shipping tape that I used to pull all of the fiberglass from my skin and it worked! I told them about it, but not sure if anything was done. The staff kept insisting that it was the chemicals, but I know it wasn't and had to have been fiberglass. Hopefully they fix this problem.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The rooms are VERY old. Remind me of a motel six. Had a room along the road and it was very noisy. Breakfast was pretty bad. Left some clothes in the drawer of the room. Called the same day to see if it was turned in. Was told I would be called in 72 hours. NO CALL. Incompetent house keepers and incompetent management. Stay at either the Hilton or Marriotts in the area. Be forewarned.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
carlsbadgm, General Manager at Carlsbad by the Sea Resort, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear SDBuff, I apologize your stay did not meet your expectations. You are absolutely correct we have 150 rooms and there are 22 that are close to the I-5.
As for the age of the hotel, we are 30 years old with a Dutch style roof line along with the historical windmill. In 2010 we completed a 2 million dollar renovation which included all soft goods, case goods, flat screen TV's, carpet, tile, and granite sinks in the restroom.
I apologize it took longer than expected for our housekeeping manager to get back to you about lost and found, we do run into that problem once in awhile due to one manager having access to the lost and found items. We have this policy in place due to the nature of the items sometimes left in the rooms such as valueable jewelry and electronics.
When you have a moment please give me a call so I can arrange for you and your family to visit the hotel and see we meet your expectations.
Hector Becerra
GM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Our family stayed at Carlsbad by the Sea for a week and we had a great trip. First of all, the employees were great! Everyone I met had excellent customer service and went out of their way to assist us. The hotel has a shuttle to Legoland which was perfect for our family. The hotel is located accross the street from some very nice outlets. The rooms are a good size and very quiet. This is not a five-star resort, but if you want an economical place to stay with a family, then you have found it.

We will definetely be back!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The room was clean and the staff was very professional. Free breakfast was more than adequate. We stayed there three nights and have no complaints at all. We wouold recommend this hotel to anyone. Even though it is not a new hotel, we were happy with the upgrades such as the flat screen TV and marble in bathroom.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Carlsbad by the Sea Resort? Share your experiences!