“Trip of a Lifetime” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Carlsbad by the Sea Resort

You added Carlsbad by the Sea Resort to your Saves list
Carlsbad by the Sea Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   850 Palomar Airport Road, Carlsbad, CA 92011 (Formerly Holiday Inn Carlsbad by the Sea)   |
Ranked #28 of 37 Hotels in Carlsbad
Laughlin, Nevada
“Trip of a Lifetime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel. It was our 30 year romantic getaway and the hotel couldn't of been more romantic and nicer. Everybody was so nice and made this trip the best one ever. We stayed in the Honeymoon Suite and it was absolutely amazing! We will always remember this trip thanks to the great people at the Carlsbad by the Sea Resort and we will be coming back every year to stay in the Honeymoon Suite and celebrate our anniversary! I recommend this hotel to everybody!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

We were greeted in a friendly and efficient way by the lady at reception and this sets the tone of our entire 6 day stay. Efficient friendly at a very reasonable price. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012
Carlsbad, CA USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

First, this is NOT by the Sea. It should be called Carlsbad by the Freeway and outlet mall. They changed the name after losing the Holiday Inn status and remodeling the rooms, to copy the actual resort down by the beach in Carlsbad Village. This hotel is noisy, and has outdoor entrances. It is not a great hotel, though the rooms have been remodeled and are pretty decent. The service is horrendous. We were accused of not letting them know we had our dog, despite the fact it was on our reservation and I told the one front desk person upon check-in. The person who called us was unbelievably rude, obnoxious and accusatory. I wanted to punch him. The breakfast is okay. This is NOT a resort. It has a pool and jacuzzi, but so do most hotels, which is NOT enough to make this a resort. There is no security. I really will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the freeway, and away from the street. It's tough, as the hotel is right b...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

This is an amazing property! I loved every detail of staying here. Front desk staff was so very helpful. Let us check in early. Room was beautifully decorated and had many little touches that made it stand out. Very comfortable beds.Room had a balcony and chairs that overlooked the immaculate grounds and pool. Pool was spacious and inviting. Excellent breakfast, lots of variety, hot food choices and large dining area. Close to everything with large outlet mall and restaurants across the street. Good restaurant adjacent to the hotel. Less then 5 minutes to Legoland. By far the nicest place we have ever stayed for under $90 a night.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Santa Clarita, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

Stayed for one night and at first I was worried about the negative reviews but I had a open mind. Location was great, right across from all restaurants and shops. Room was nice, clean and updated. I requested a room with more quite and they gave me the 2nd floor. Breakfast was complementary but I wish they would have a better selection than just a few items. But I didn't mind. Overall it was a nice place.

• Stayed December 2011
Davis, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

I was extremely disappointed by the hotel's front desk person. Our room was not cleaned and needed fresh towels. When my wife called the front desk, the clerk was not immediately apologetic and instead referred to Housekeeping's records which claimed our "Do Not Disturb" sign was displayed. We were gone from 9:30am until 4:00pm, so this didn't make much sense to me.

My wife let the lack of room cleaning go and simply asked for fresh towels. We were told they would be immediately delievered.

We went out to dinner and came back two hours only to find that the towels had not been delivered. I went to the front desk myself and again the desk clerk pulled out Housekeeping's records and insisted to me that our room wasn't cleaned because the "Do Not Disturb" sign was displayed. I told her that this was immaterial at this point and that we asked for fresh towels, were told we would get them, and hadn't received them yet. I said I wanted them immediately and returned to my room. Five mintues later they arrived.

I understand that mistakes happen, but it seems to me that customer service should aim to insure a positive experience. The clerk was unfriendly, slightly argumentative, and far from helpful. Regardless of what their cleaning records say, shouldn't she have only been concerned about our room needs?

Truth be said: she was a jerk and I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

This is my 2nd time staying here, loved the service and location was great, right across from an outlet mall, within walking distance, and only a 2 minute drive to LegoLand. The only down side is it's a 2 storey building, but no elevators, so if you have large/heavy luggages, you should get some help because I almost fell back down the stairs while trying to haul my luggage up the stairs. First morning while getting ready to head out, spotted a cockroach on the mirror frame, freaked me out and had to kill it with my shoe and left the remains on the tile floor because I was too scared to clean it, but they cleaned it for me when they did the whole room, which is good, didn't see anymore during my stay.
Serves breakfast, not much to choose from but good enough to start the day, they have toasts, oatmeals, eggs, sausages, yogurts, cereals, milk, tea, coffee, juice, apples, oranges, and bananas, so depending the combination, it can be a very nutritious breakfast.
Staff was friendly and helpful, parking and internet was free, very quiet neighborhood and very little disturbance.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo