“What you would expect.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 34 hotels in Carlsbad
Upland, California, United States
“What you would expect.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

No surprises here. If you're looking for a place to hang your hat for the night, this is it. A little too close to the freeway because of noise but nothing horrific. Breakfast is a coffee and a danish, very basic. Room, bed and bath all acceptable. This is not a luxury vacation place but something good for a night. Property is older but interiors are up to date. You won't find too much wrong unless you're a professional nit-picker. Look at the price. Like I said, it's what you'd expect.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

73 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Good deal for the money. Staff was friendly. Very close to Legoland. Also close to other restaurants like Dennys and a Pie place, also a grocery store. Rooms were decent had fridge and microwave. Bed was comfortable, pillows are horrible, I would recommend bringing your own pillow. I did call for additional pillows and one of them was pretty decent. There is a little bit of freeway noise but nothing that kept us awake.
Breakfast consists of apple juice, orange juice, coffee and a couple pastries.
They do have laundry machines and vending machines.
All in all nice place and I would return.

• Stayed November 2012
Redlands. CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We received this stay as part of a "Free" time-share promotional gift. I most likely would not spend more than $70 per night to stay here. The pros: Room nicely furnished with warm decor, Large flat screen wall mounted TV, Microwave and quiet small mini-fridge. Bathroom has curved shower rod, and was clean with a "pressurized" toilet tank (must admit, really scared me on first flush). The grounds were clean and well maintained, as well as the front office and laundry/ice area. The weekend we stayed was very quiet.

My favorite part of staying in a hotel, is where this hotel lost me. The pillows were very small, and the cases were not very soft. We called and asked for additional pillows, which they supplied within an hour. We were very disappointed to discover that the continental breakfast consists only of a few pastries and coffee, hot tea, and juice. No Hot Chocolate or fruit (which is shown in the picture on their website). Fortunately, there is a Denny's 2 minutes away. There was not a "Do Not Disturb/Service wanted" sign to hang on the doornob. The first morning, we slept in late and didn't leave the room until after noon. No one came to check, which we were pleasantly surprised, however, upon our return around 8 pm, we discovered our room had not been touched. When we called the front desk, they said someone had put a note on our room file to not service. They said it was too late for housekeeping (no one was there) and that we could come get fresh towels if we like. A minute later they called us back and stated they would bring the towels too us, which they did within 5 minutes.

If your stay is more about visiting the local area, or a quick overnight rest, then this is the spot. Probably not the best for romance or being lazy in the room.

Room Tip: I think all rooms may hear freeway traffic, as the set up is a u-shape which allows the noise into t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Carlsbad, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I had to extend my stay there by the week and I felt the staff there despite the other reviews to be very pleasant. The manager, Robin was very accommodating especially when I needed new keys almost every day. Housekeeping I found to be amazing as well. They came to my door every day and asked if I wanted service. They were so friendly and always had a smile on their faces. The rooms are nice with a mini fridge and microwave. Will definitely repeat!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

After reading the reviews about this place, I thought I could give this place a try. I was wrong. The bad reviews this place received were true. My room was terrible and the staff there was nasty. I told the manager to change my sheets and he said that housekeeping did and they did not because the same stains on the same spots were there. I am disappointed that the hotel would give such nasty responses. People are entitled to their opinions on their reviews.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

While not located in a quiet area (freeway noise was very loud), we were pleased with our stay. We arrived very late on Friday evening and found the manager welcoming and friendly. Our room was clean, but I wish they had king beds available on the 2nd floor. There is a light breakfast offering on the weekend (cereal and pastries), but only pastries during the week (something about the police not allowing them to serve cereal so they only do it on the weekends). There is a fridge and microwave in each room, which was nice to have. The sheets are a bit on the rough side, and (as our son and future daughter-in-law warned us), it's best to bring your own pillow. The ones in the room are very small and not comfortable. All in all, the hotel served our needs for this particular weekend. It was unfortunate the cleaning staff did not replace the empty tissue container on our last evening there, nor give us an extra roll of toilet paper. Maybe it's a cost saving measure?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I stayed 2 nights and it was horrible. The staff is rude and very unprofessional. The manager there gives dirty looks to guests. Every time I walked in and out of my room to get ice, the staff gave me dirty looks. Even at breakfast, the staff was giving me dirty looks when I took the last muffin and an apple. There were spiders and cockroaches in my room. On the wall, there was a big spider cobweb on the wall. The other bad reviews about this place are true. I believe it now.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Hyland727, General Manager at Rodeway Inn Near Legoland, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
These accusations are false. It's ridiculous to think our employees would give dirty looks to anybody. We are under the impression that these last two reviews are by the same person and are looking into it further.

Been to Rodeway Inn Near Legoland? Share your experiences!