“Average experience...needs several improvements” 3 of 5 stars

50% off room rate
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersBronze level
Belleville, Michigan
“Average experience...needs several improvements”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

My husband and I recently exchanged our Santa Fe timeshare for a week at the Carlsbad Inn & Resort. If we had payed the going nightly rate to stay at this resort, I would have been very, very upset & disappointed. It's bad enough that we exchanged a timeshare week to stay here but paying over $300/night would have made the situation unacceptable.

As others have stated, the Carlsbad Inn has several positive apsects going for it. The resort is very accessible to Rte. 5 and other major highways, so getting in and out of Carslbad is a breeze. The resort is smack dab in the center of Carlsbad, so you can easily walk to shops, stores, restaurants, coffee shops, boutiques, a 7-11, etc, etc. The staff were friendly enough but not overly so. One morning, the computers & printers were down and a staff member went above and beyond to help me...but that was about it. No one was overly happy, solicitous or friendly...just average. The resort is 1/2 block to the beach...not right on the beach...which is a bit misleading on the website. Getting to the beach involves walking down a short alley and an incline...no biggie. Each guest is given one free underground parking space, which is nice 'cause parking around the resort and in Carlsbad is difficult. The property is pretty and kept relatively clean but as others have mentioned, the major problems for my husband & I involved the horrible odor in our room and the general run down & dated nature of the resort (some areas worst than others).

Without doubt (and I have traveled quite a lot), when we entered the room, my husband and I were overwhelmed by th odor. The room smelled worst than just about any other room I have encountered in all my travels. Our room was dank, dark, smelly and musty...there is no other way to describe it. And the temps never went above 67 degrees during our entire week...cannot imagine this place in August!

Our unit had been "partially updated," which seemed peculiar to me. What is the point of painting walls & updating a kitchen when the bathroom remains damp, moldy & mildewy, the furniture is worn and stained and the entire unit has an awful odor??? My husband said, "Well, timeshares do things in stages..." However, that made no sense to me. Our kitchen was nice enough and was cleaned once during our stay (mid-week) along with the rest of the unit. Long pieces of black hair were left on our bathroom floor after the mid-week cleaning (my hair is short and reddish-brown...husband's is very short & salt/pepper). Every piece of furniture in our living room & dining room was faded, torn, worn and stained. I didn't even want to sit on the couch or side seats during our entire stay. As others have pointed out, our living room & dining room furniture was OLD, probably dating back to the 80's (husband thought it was newer but poorly maintained). Nonetheless, furniture was worn out, faded, discolored & stained...even the curtains & drapes were discolored, dirty and smelly.

Our bedroom had a bed (of course), two end tables (which looked kinda new), two closets and a small dresser. The pull-back shades & curtains in our bedroom were gross...looked like they had dried up blood or chocolate stains on them. Some of the decorative pillows (in the living room & bedroom) smelled like dirty hair. I didn't DARE take a look at the matress. The carpeting in the unit looked okay (some looked newer, some looked older), but the entire room smelled like an old person's home that's been locked up forever...or a dirty nursing home room that needs to be aired out...you know the smell I'm talking about.

I think the odors were made worse by worn carpeting and OLD UPHOLSTERED furniture...not a smart idea when a place is 1/2 block to the ocean! The elevator to the "Condo" units (timeshares) was broken a few times during our stay. We were on the third floor, so walking to and fro was difficult at times. There is only one, old elevator servicing the entire timeshare area...definitely needs replacement. My husband thought the pool was waaaaay too small given the size of the resort...and it really was. The majority of the crowd was Senior Citizens or folks with young children. So, the pool was loaded first thing in the morning with towels strewn on chairs and irritable kids & mothers with blow-up floaties. If this was a true "resort...stay by the pool...sun...relax...read type of vacation," it would have been really, really bad!

I hate to give a place a negative review but I would be misleading if I said that this place was anything beyond average. Stains, smells & mold creep me out. Truthfully, if we were not able to keep ALL THE WINDOWS AND THE PATIO DOOR OPEN at all times, along with ALL CEILING FANS & THE BATHROOM EXHAUST FAN RUNNING CONSTANTLY, 24-7...I would not have been able to stay at the resort. With the temps dropping into the low 50's at night, DH & I were uncomfortable. Closing windows & the patio door made the room smell unbearable. We left doors/windows wide open during our absence during the daytime, too. I told DH, "I don't care if someone steals everything we have...the room smell is UNBEARABLE if we button up every door & window."

I would never stay at the Carlsbad Resort & Inn again...would never think of recommending it to others. My husband and I glanced at each other and had to surpress laughter when someone pitching timeshare sales said to us, "You know...this resort is such a 5-star RCI gem, you can only trade here once in a 4 year period!" When DH & I left the front desk, we simultaneously said, "Why would anyone want to?" For us, it was that much of a disappointment...sorry to offend anyone :0(

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

Your visit to Carlsbad Inn along California's beautiful coast line will be a step in to relaxation and enjoyment. The lush landscaping encompasses your senses of sight and smell. The resort itself is peaceful with a very attentive staff and updated and comfortable furnishings, the beds are FABULOUS and always bring a great night's sleep. When we say location...location...location..., Carlsbad Inn is within minutes of ALL of San Diego's attractions. The charming Village of Carlsbad offers a wide variety of sumptious restaurants, only steps away from the Inn. i recommend this resort to everyone. enjoy ! tabbytravelor

Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

Pros: We loved the location! Just walk down a few steps and you are on the beach. Each room has it's own balcony, which was nice, but the hotel didn't face the ocean, though so not much of a lovely view. Very quiet hotel. Didn't hear the neighbors. They have a really nice activity center which offers board games, a fitness center and a few video games. You can borrow bikes or jogging strollers for free, but can't take them onto the sand. They have a great cabana where we borrowed sand toys and boogie boards with no fee as well. That was really a plus for us. The hotel was very clean and I didn't worry at all that my baby was crawling on the floor.

Cons: They have a small swimming pool, but it was cold, cold, cold. We were there on a week that the weather was not great. I had called ahead to make sure the pool was heated, which they assured me it was, so I wasn't too concerned about the weather. Well, their idea of a heated pool and my idea did not coincide. Others who were there said the same thing too. We really couldn't enjoy it at all because it was too cold.

Also, we hated that there was no breakfast. It just felt like this kind of a hotel should have one, especially because the price isn't that cheap.

Overall, it was a nice place, I'd stay again, but only if the weather is hot.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Edmonton, AB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

We loved this hotel...reminded me of a resort from 1950s, not just from it's look, but the "activities" and the big communal lawn...this was a perfect place for a family with small kids as it was very clean, had everything you need to eat in, bed were comfy, big bathroom and we had a view of the ocean which was wonderful...the beach was down the back steps and across a side street and the beach was amazing...the hotel lent out sand toys which was a huge deal for my kids...

we had a great rate, less than $150 per night as a I recall but I would have paid more...

there were a couple issues, march was not the warmest and the pool was ice cold, the kiddie hot tub was cool, not even luke warm, so it made it really difficult to swim but of course, the kids want to...and the front desk was not very warm at all upon arrival...though they did google a map for us to a hospital when my son needed stiches...

We would DEFINITELY stay here again...can't wait to go when it's a wee bit warmer...

legoland was really close and easy to get to with our rental car...

Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

Quaint, quiet, safe and relaxing. This is an older resort which is often the case when it is so close to the beach. Smaller 1 bedroom unit with very small bathroom but very clean and kitchen was fully equipped. Very small pool and one outdoor hot tub. 1/2 block to the Beach and in the middle of Carlsbad Village. Popular restaurant on site. Underground parking. Walk to the Coaster and catch this train into San Diego for the day. Wander through the charming village of Carlsbad. Short drive to Legoland, Flower Fields, Premium Outlet Mall, Leo Carillo Ranch. 30 min drive to SD Wild Animal Park. We enjoyed our stay and would return.

• Stayed February 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

I love this hotel.. it is in a GREAT location... one of the nicest beaches in Southern California in my opinion. A lot of the rooms have great ocean views, and the staff have always been so nice and helpful. The complex is very beautiful also. There is a pool, two spas, a nice grassy area, Rec. room, etc. I would definitely recommend staying here. It's not too far from San Diego either, which is nice.

Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

The Carlsbad Inn is beautifully situated very near the beach and many shops and restaurants. Our kitchenette was nicely equipped. The rooms were sparkling clean and the housekeeping service was quiet and thorough. The beds were very comfortable with luxury pillows and linens. Our children loved the pool and the close access to the beach. This resort has been well-maintained and I liked the dark wood trim throughout the whole hotel. In all a very satisfying weekend for all of us. We will definitely return for another vacation at the Carlsbad Inn.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Been to Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort? Share your experiences!