“Fabulous Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Fabulous Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We had an absolutely fantastic stay here. Our only regret is that we didn't plan to stay longer. We arrived a couple of hours prior to check-in, and our room was not quite ready. The staff provided us with temporary keys that provided access to the pool and allowed us to check out equipment from the hotel. They also gave us the wristbands that were needed as well. We were told that the hotel upgraded our room, which turned out to be amazing. Our balcony overlooked the ocean from a distance. Much better than a parking lot or courtyard view!! The hotel is extremely close to the beach. You go down a set of stairs on the property and cross a very quiet side street. Another set of stairs...and you are on the beach. The hotel has a cabana on the beach where you can check out beach chairs, beach umbrellas, boogie boards, and sand toys (including Frisbees) at no cost. It was so wonderful to be spared from dragging a bunch of equipment from the hotel to the beach every day. At the hotel, there are daily activities posted. Our schedule didn't work out for us to participate in any of the activities, but they seemed like unique opportunities. The property is very kid-friendly. There is a Ping-Pong table, bikes to check out, and a nice pool and hot tub. There is also an adults-only hot tub.

The property has an inviting courtyard with so many lounge chairs and patio tables and chairs for guests to relax in. In the evenings, there are fireplaces that are lit in the courtyard. One night, there was a kids' movie in the courtyard. The location is perfect - walking distance to Carlsbad Village shops and restaurants. The parking was underground and complimentary, which was great.

The room itself was very spacious and the bed was very comfortable. We had to get a rollaway for our daughter, and it was probably one of the highest quality rollaways I have seen at a hotel. The balconies are roomy and nice. Though our room was outside the pool and the courtyard, the sliding doors in the rooms provide a soundproof environment. We never heard any noise. It was so peaceful! Though checkout was at 11, we were still able to use the facilities and parking for several hours beyond that. The staff was so great. Our daughter loved the sting ray made from towels that housekeeping left in the room. She also liked the Bath and Body Works bar soap and toiletries in the room.

The only negative was that the complimentary wifi was spotty and frequently disconnected. But with all the positives, that is easily overlooked.

For our next trip to Southern California, we plan to return and spend much more time here. I definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: The ocean view is beautiful, but you can see the ocean from anywhere in the courtyard. So, it may n...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Yesterday was my anniversary and that reminded me of my 10th anniversary a year ago at the Carlsbad Inn.

On the lawn, overlooking the Pacific Ocean, I remarried my friend, partner, the man I love. The setting was perfect, the rooms modern and comfortable and the event staff took gentle care in helping us receive orders, set up caterers, musicians, DJ's, crews there for entertainment. It was truly seamless making a wonderful celebration flow effortlessly from beginning to end. A beautiful summer afternoon of celebration flowed easily into evening as we headed upstairs to the reception hall. We used Wild Thyme catering. They were so good and held it down with us to the bitter end, so we called the next day and tipped them extra! We did the same for the event coordinator at this hotel because of her consistent service. Amazing experience all around.

Green Features: We did a balloon release after our ceremony outdoors. They will require that all materials are organic and bio-degradable.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GMonthebeach, General Manager at Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Hi mmgbizgirl,
Thank you for taking your time to provide us with your review. We're honored to have shared that special moment with you and your husband. It is always a pleasure to hear that our staff was able to assist you and help make your day even more special. We hope you come back to visit us soon!
Randal C. Chapin
Fullerton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I spent a week here alone. I am in an electric wheelchair and got around quite easily. I was not put into a handicapped room as they were all being used but the room I got was ok for me. I am able to walk a step or two. I was able to get into the bathroom and the bedroom and all of the rooms but could not get into the patio due to a high door opening. I was able to get into MOST of the shops in the area and the Daily News café is a great little place. There is also a few restaurants in walking distance. Lots of places to shop and it is a little ways to the beach but I cannot go there. The resort is lovely. Rooms are a bit small but who stays in the rooms all day.
Very nice. The people there were all very hwelpful to me.

Room Tip: I was in a one bedroom and it was good for me. My husband and adult son came to spend one night the...
Green Features: It is a nice place. Vry close to the beach, shops, restaurants, you name it.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

PROS:
- Great location! RIght across the street from the beach!
- Modern looking units
- Various & multiple food/entertainment within walking distance
- Super friendly staff!

CONS:
- Different rules for the "visiting" timeshare guests (in comparison to timeshare residents of Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort)
- Reactive in many instances instead of proactive

Room Tip: Choose a unit on the first floor if you have elderly or disabled individuals traveling in your group...
Green Features: It was quite obvious that they were very environmentally-conscious and encouraged their guests to be as well (ie, "please use towels more than once." While I appreciate the general concept, my family (me - a female - and 4 adult males) cannot re-use towels.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

We are a family of my husband and I, my four year old and two year old, and my mother in law. We were pleased with the one bedroom condo. They have been updated since our last stay. We enjoyed the festivities in the day of the 4th of July. Beach was nice with the chairs, umbrella and toys provided. I would not choose this place if I was kid-less. It can be noisy, the bathroom is shower only, and the tv is kinda blurry. But the place is comfortable. Clean. Great location. 400 a night for Carlsbad on holiday weekend was pricey but it was easy.

We will come back

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

We have owned a condo at this resort for 25 years. Most people trade their week for a different resort, but we have never missed a summer here since we find the Carlsbad Inn to be ideal place for our annual family reunion. The condos are nicely furnished, will a full kitchen (full refrigerator with freezer at the top, dishwasher, microwave, stove, real oven, plates, pots, pans -- everything you need to cook or prepare snacks). There are a few grills at the end of the two condo buildings where you can barbeque.

The resort is located across the street from the beach. Beach chairs, towels and sun umbrellas can be checked out by guests. The ocean is fairly warm and the water clean. We usually see schools of dolphins swimming past at least once every year.

Our unit is one of a few that sleep 6 adults. It has a bedroom with a king bed, a sofa bed in the living room, and a Murphy (pull-down) bed that can be isolated via a large curtain that draws across the large living room. The unit has a balcony that overlooks the green and that has an ocean view in the distance through the transparent wall around the back of the resort. The condo bathrooms were just remodeled this year (2014) and each one has a fireplace.

My fave activity is relaxing in the fabulous hot tub. It's therapeutic, with strong water jets and lots of room to sit and soak. There is a separate hot tub for children near the swimming pool.

There are three fire pits on the green, and on one or more evenings each week, there is live music for a few hours on the green. There are activities for kids and adults everyday of the week.

There is a well-equipped gym with sauna. You can borrow a bike for the day. There is free parking for guests in the underground garage. Restaurants and shops are nearby.

Part of the Carlsbad Inn is also a hotel (no kitchens or living room in the hotel rooms). Staff is friendly and helpful.

Staying at the Carlsbad Inn has been a fun and exciting highlight for our whole family every single year!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Corona, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I've owned a timeshare here for > 25 years but mostly exchange it out. One of the nice things about the resort is that they keep it well maintained and recently refurbished the units and landscaping so it always looks nice. The staff is very helpful and there are nice restaurants and shops nearby. I love to take the train from here to San Diego and wander around there too.

The wifi has been frustrating because log-in is required frequently.

Room Tip: All condo units are located well with second-story ones having balconies with view of the courtyard.
Green Features: The resort is very environmentally conscious with trash bins located strategically to place reclyclables. Water is also conserved.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort? Share your experiences!