“Excellent value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area

You added Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1661 Villa Cardiff Drive, Cardiff-by-the-Sea, Encinitas, CA 92007   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Davis, California
“Excellent value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Stayed here in February 2014 and had an excellent experience. The property is well managed, operated and maintained. The rooms are very comfortable with all necessary accommodations. The staff is highly professional and helpful. The included breakfast is as good as I have experienced with minor daily changes that make it interesting. Location is excellent, being only about a 25 minute drive to airport and easy driving distance to local communities such as Carlsbad and Encinitas as well as the beach.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Dr-Zach, It's so great to hear you had a great time with us this February! Thanks again for your wonderful comments about the breakfast and guest rooms. Also, it was really great to see that you mentioned our location, in regard to the I-5 freeway and the accessibility about getting around greater San Diego County. Really looking forward to welcoming you back soon! Take care and best regards, Andrew Nintzel, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

My family often uses this hotel for extra people around the holidays. My husband and I stayed at this property during Thanksgiving 2012 when my sister's house was overflowing and we volunteered to stay again this past Christmas (2013) along with a few other family members. Once again, for the price and location, the stay was perfect. The rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable, and the complimentary breakfast is more than you would expect. There is a very small gym with a few treadmills and a recumbent bicycle. We used the gym, and while there are no weights, at least you can get your cardio in :)
The breakfast is really over the top for a basic hotel in this category. The hot breakfast changes each day, so one day would be scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage patties, and the next would be cheese omelets and biscuits and gravy. For the more healthy options, they always had bananas, yoghurt, cereal, oatmeal, peanut butter, and toast/english muffins. Juice and tea/coffee are available with real milk or cream. It's a really nice touch!
My only complaint is the bathroom door. It opens out (towards the room) which means it needs to be closed for someone to use the sink. A pocket door would be more practical in that small space.
The property is right off the 5, making it convenient to get anywhere in the SD area. We will continue to use the property for extra bedrooms each holiday season!

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor, on the back side of the property which I felt was better then a first...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Hi Jewels1698, It is so great to know that our hotel has become your family's first choice when deciding on lodging. Thank you for taking the time to write a second review about our hotel, as it is always wonderful to hear that we are continuing to meet your needs. We have added several items to our breakfast to help make it even more enjoyable and I thank you for pointing this out! We very much look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Cardiff! Best, AWN, GM
Sebastopol, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Clean well maintained, excellent breakfast, friendly staff, convienent location, all around, great experience. This hotel will be my first choiice when I return to San Diego. Great value, coffee and tea available in the breakfast room 24 hours a day.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
We are so glad we could make your time in San Diego memorable this November! Thank you for pointing out our cleanliness, as our staff will be very pleased to hear this. The coffee and tea do make for a nice amenity, especially when you may need a blast of caffeine in the afternoon or early evening. We look forward to seeing you again soon! Best, AWN, GM
Tucson AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

The Holiday Inn Express in Cardiff by the Sea (North of San Diego) is the best choice for lodging in Southern California. We are repeat customers because the greatest asset at this hotel is the staff which excels in every facet of customer service. The rooms are comfortable, clean and spacious. The breakfast are good. The location of the hotel is ideal being situated mid way between attractions as Sea World and Legoland. But the main reason to stay here is the hotel staff.

My wife and I had booked a two night stay to celebrate our grandson’s 12th birthday. However, due to my wife having a skateboard accident on day two of our trip, it became a two week stay with my wife spending a week in the hospital while I stayed at the hotel.

Prior to the accident upon initial registration, we were greeted with a great smile by Edilie, the Front Desk associate. She excelled in her amicable attitude which made us “feel at home.” This feeling was prevalent with all the front desk personnel: Holly, Jason and Marlon who always asked my wife’s condition when I returned to the hotel from the hospital.

The hotel General Manager, Andrew Nintzel, is an outstanding manager and individual. He inquired about my needs while my wife was in the hospital and daily followed up on her condition. Upon her discharge, Andrew moved us to a handicap room and furnished it to our needs. My wife convalesced for a week at the hotel before we were able to return to our home in Tucson.

If you want to find great customer service which is genuine, Holiday Inn Cardiff by the Sea, should be your hotel of choice while in the San Diego area.

Room Tip: I have stayed in many rooms at this hotel and have found them all to be very good. Personally, I tr...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
It's always such a pleasure to take of you and your wife when you come to visit your family in San Diego! However, this year's trip was quite eventful and disheartening, due to your wife's injury. We are so pleased as a staff that we could do everything in our power to make sure you got through a tough medical process. We hope your wife is back home recovering and feeling much better! We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip! Thanks for such an awesome review!!! Sincerely, Andrew Nintzel, GM
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed here because it appeared to be in a convenient location. It was right off the highway and was definitely a good central location for our needs. The lobby area of the hotel was very nice, staff super friendly. The breakfast room is just off the lobby. Plenty of spots to eat and the breakfast was excellent. Cinnamon rolls and egg/cheese omelet were excellent. Our room was not great. We traveled with two other families and they said theirs was fine. In our bathroom there was mold all over the ceiling of the bathroom. GROSS! The corners of the room were not well clean. We thought about asking to switch rooms, but didn't want to cart our 10 pieces of luggage to another room once we actually saw the bathroom. We just dealt with it. The pool and hot tub were nice. Kids really enjoyed swimming in it a couple days. Would stay here again, but would ask to see a room first to be sure there isn't any mold.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your stay with us. I am happy the breakfast met your needs, and that you enjoyed the pool and jacuzzi. However, I am very sorry about the condition of the guest room. We take issues, such as mold, very seriously. After reading your feedback, we will be conducting a full inspection of all guest rooms, so that we can make sure this issue is resolved. Please do not hesitate to contact me at (760) 944-0427, so that we can discuss this issue further. Best, Andrew Nintzel, GM
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

One does not expect exceptional service in this price range, but this place has it, and I was pleasantly surprised.

The place is spacious, clean, comfortable, well located, the premises carefully tended, it has a great little pool and hot tub, a well cared for free breakfast that is noticeably above the usual breakfast I was used to in a hotel this type.

What stands out even more is the courtesy, eagerness to help, and attentiveness of the reception staff. It is at a level one is used to in luxury hotels. I was impressed by the dedication.

I booked a room through "a third party" (Starts with "T") for my daughter and me.

When I called for possible early check- in, they made it available to me.

Two of the front desk guys helped me with questions about the town, and helped me promptly when I called after check- out for something I left in the room.

It takes maybe 25-30 minutes to get to SeaWorld and the San Diego Zoo- ideal for visiting families who want to stay outside of San Diego proper.

Close to a lovely Botanical center- next exit to the North.

A five minute drive to the ocean, with restaurants, and access to the ocean to look at the sunset with your feet in the Pacific, surrounded by the surfing dudes.

I liked the water- saving toilet feature - maybe this is only new to me, living in the Midwest.

What I would have liked: a safe in the room, and a low- level nightlight in the bathroom.

The hotel exceeded my expectations and I would happily use it again.

Room Tip: No room location recommendations.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Wow, what a wonderfully written review of our hotel! Being comfortable while traveling is so important, and finding the right hotel near so many attractions is also a challenging task. With that said, we are so thankful for your business. Our staff will love hearing how impressed you were. Yes, saving water is very important, and we are pleased you noticed this feature in the bathroom. We most definitely look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Encinitas! Best, Andrew Nintzel, GM
Rancho Cordova, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is a nice, clean and friendly hotel. Check in is always easy. The rooms are nice. We had a king bed, a sofa, desk and tables. It is nice. Pool is nice. It is an outdoor pool. plenty of chairs and tables. Breakfast is good.
The only problem I had is at breakfast there were ants all around the coffee area. When I told the kitchen staff, she did nothing. I don't know if maybe she did not understand me, or was so busy getting herself food that she did not care, but she did nothing about the ants. Ants happen, I know that, but clean them up.
Still love this hotel!

Room Tip: This is nothing about the hotel... If you are on a floor with a room under you.. remember they can h...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Your feedback is very valuable for us and we thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so pleased your check-in process was easy and your room was comfortable. However, I am very sorry about the issue with the ants in the breakfast room, and I assure you the room has been thoroughly deep cleaned and our extermination company has completed its work on the room. We look forward to seeing you again when you visit Encinitas! Sincerely, Andrew Nintzel, GM

Been to Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area? Share your experiences!