“Been here before, and will come back again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area

You added Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1661 Villa Cardiff Drive, Cardiff-by-the-Sea, Encinitas, CA 92007   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Rancho Cordova, California
“Been here before, and will come back again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is a nice, clean and friendly hotel. Check in is always easy. The rooms are nice. We had a king bed, a sofa, desk and tables. It is nice. Pool is nice. It is an outdoor pool. plenty of chairs and tables. Breakfast is good.
The only problem I had is at breakfast there were ants all around the coffee area. When I told the kitchen staff, she did nothing. I don't know if maybe she did not understand me, or was so busy getting herself food that she did not care, but she did nothing about the ants. Ants happen, I know that, but clean them up.
Still love this hotel!

Room Tip: This is nothing about the hotel... If you are on a floor with a room under you.. remember they can h...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Your feedback is very valuable for us and we thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so pleased your check-in process was easy and your room was comfortable. However, I am very sorry about the issue with the ants in the breakfast room, and I assure you the room has been thoroughly deep cleaned and our extermination company has completed its work on the room. We look forward to seeing you again when you visit Encinitas! Sincerely, Andrew Nintzel, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Pie Town, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed here a couple of nights while visiting friends in Encinitas. It was clean, accommodating, and the staff were very friendly. The only odd thing about the place is the site it's on: it's really crammed into a tight spot, surrounded by the freeway, the Valero gas station next door, and the hill in back. It seemed a bit unwelcoming but I asked for a room away from the freeway and my friends told me that the taco stand in the Valero station has some very good Mexican food, and even the pool was OK (though it's right next to the Valero car wash). Anyway, the location seems to be reflected in the price, because the places on the other side of the feeway, closer to the beach, cost more. All in all I had a pleasant stay and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the freeway. Try the food at the Valero station next door (seriously, t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Thank you so much for such positive feedback. We are pleased you had a good time while visiting your friends in Encinitas and look forward to welcoming you back again soon! Best, AWN, GM
Upland, ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I have stayed here before and was really happy with the room and accommodations, but this last visit on Labor day weekend was disappointing. I was not happy with the room, it smelled musty and had large stains on the carpet. I felt the room was a lower quality than have had in past visits. The biggest problem of all was I used my American Express Card and had not used it anywhere before this stay since July 30 in New Orleans, and the next day Amex fraud alert called to say someone was trying to charge on my account and I needed to review the charges. I called the front desk immediately and told then that somehow my card was compromised by staying at this Holiday Inn or by Holiday Inn itself and asked that the manager return my call. Well it is a week later and the manager has never called me back. I have to ask why the manager or Holiday Inn has not called? Do they care that this may have happened there at their facility? Are some of their employees involved? Is their system secure? It would be nice if they cared enough to call and assure me that their system is secure!! I don't know how I can justify staying at another Holiday Inn unless they investigate this, or reassure people. Be very wary of this Holiday Inn and check out others before you decide to stay there.

Room Tip: Watch your credit card at this Holiday Inn, if you have to stay use Amex only and check your account...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear coosbaygal, We take credit card security very seriously at our hotel, and I am so sorry for the issue that occurred. Thank you for allowing me to research the issue at hand and confirm your secure transaction. We have also inspected the guest room in question and repaired all issues. Once again, as a regular guest at our hotel, I promise your next stay will be memorable and without issues. Sincerely, Andrew Nintzel, GM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Most of my review will be on the positive side, but at the end of this review, I will indicate my complaints.
I stayed here for two nights last week. Upon checking in, I was given 2 cold water bottles (equivalent to my 2 night stay). I've not had that happen ever at any other hotel. Upon going into my room, I noticed a mini refrigerator which obviously helped to keep the water cold. This is a great welcome to all travelers and very much appreciated.

At first, I could not figure out how to make the room comfortable but eventually I did. The room was fine for one person with a queen size bed, desk and side chair.

The free breakfast had a lot of choices and from what I chose was perfectly fine.

My two complaints are this: the location of my room overlooked part of the roof and as such - it was unsightly. There was also bird poop on the window so each time I looked out the window I had to see it.

The other complaint I have is the pools' location - in the parking lot. One is better off driving to the beach rather than use the pool if this location is a problem. The location of the pool is obviously not the management's problem, it's the original architect. Guess he/she did not like to swim otherwise they may have put the pool in a more attractive place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear 447Judyc, Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. First off, I am very pleased you enjoyed your two-night stay with us! It's wonderful to hear about the ways our staff attempted to make your stay memorable. I will be sure to pass along your feedback regarding the pool location and the view from the room. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Encinitas! Best, Andrew Nintzel, GM
Orcutt, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The beds were so comfortable and pillows. Room size large and very roomy. Breakfast had many choices. Eggs, pancakes, cereal, muffins, bacon toast etc...Very clean hotel. close to freeway. This is a great hotel if you had plans every day in the San Diego area. Its not the hotel if you are going to hang out by the pool all day. The pool is small, but good to enjoy after a day seeing the sights and cool off. Would stay there again! Great price for everything we got.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear chrissyhicks2, Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review about our hotel! We strive very hard to make sure all of our guests can stay in a clean, comfortable room. It’s great to know your experience reflected our efforts. Yes, while our pool is small, it’s great for a quick dip after sightseeing or a long day of work. We look forward to seeing you again soon! Best, Andrew Nintzel, GM
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

My two night stay for business was very comfortable, in a spacious king room with all necessary amenities. Even facing the highway, with the windows open, the steady hum of traffic was not disturbing. With the windows closed, it was hard to hear any sounds at all from outside. The staff was exceptionally helpful and cheerful, which helps make any hotel stay more pleasant. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Passage1333, It is really great to hear about how the noise of the freeway did not bother your stay. We are pleased that we were able to make your business trip memorable. Our staff takes great pride in being able to make your stay enjoyable; I look forward to passing along your praise. We hope to see you again on your next business trip. Sincerely, Andrew Nintzel, GM
Rohnert Park, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Good hotel for the price, if you make reservations early enough. If you are paying over $120/night, that's too much. It's clean, easy to get to and fairly quiet. Not very comfortable beds, if you are picky with that.
It was super hot and stuffy in the halls and room and it wasn't even a hot day. When you get there, go in and turn on the air right away and open the windows. The air is too loud to sleep with at night, so you want the room to be nice and cold, you should leave the air on all day.
If it wasn't for the stuffy rooms, I would've added a 4th star for their breakfast. Hot eggs, bacon, gravy and biscuits and pancakes accompany the normal cereal and milk, yogurt and muffins. Not usual for a cheap hotel breakfast.
About 10 minutes to LEGOLAND.

Room Tip: Suggest a quiet room and they'll put you on the top floor, farthest from the street.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear benandsophiesmom, Being comfortable while staying with us is very important and we are sorry we were not able to meet your needs, in regard to the air conditioning. I will have our engineer look at our in-room air conditioners, as well as the public hallways, to make sure all units are operable and noiseless. Thank you for commenting on our breakfast items, as we work very hard to make sure we can provide a full breakfast. We hope to see you again in the future. Sincerely, Andrew Nintzel, GM

Been to Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area? Share your experiences!