You added Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1661 Villa Cardiff Drive, Cardiff-by-the-Sea, Encinitas, CA 92007   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Plano
“Great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The hotel is located just a couple of blocks from a very nice beach. It is within walking distance even with 2 young kids. We stayed here as part of a 2 week road trip and it was one of 5 Holiday inns we stayed in, my husband is also a platinum member so we're very familiar with Holiday inn. Of all the places we stayed the staff here was by far the rudest. My husband went to the desk one evening to ask for a good place to eat and the man behind the counter passed him the local map! That's it. No one else was there, it was not a busy time. There was only one elevator and the employees act like you are bothering them by getting in with them! This happened with three times with three different employees!!! One lady actually rolled her eyes as my daughter and I enter. The room was large and comfortable. I did notice some really nasty brown sticky stuff all over the curtains. Pretty gross but the rest of the room seemed clean, hopefully just something over looked. Overall the room was fine, the location was perfect so if you can put up with the staff it's worth it!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear planomom8801, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your stay at our hotel. Our location to the beach is very convenient, especially for families. Our staff takes great pride in making sure our guests receive the best service possible, so I am very sorry you felt uncomfortable during your stay. I can assure you, that given your feedback, we will use this as an opportunity to improve. We hope you will return again in the future. Sincerely, Andrew Nintzel, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Tacoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was a good hotel for a safe and affordable place to stay. Jason and the other staff who assisted us were friendly and helpful with all our needs. While it is close to the highway, we heard no car noise. We did hear a dog barking in the hotel one night but not enough to be disruptful. This is a great place to stay if you are going to the beach or Legoland. This hotel met all our basic needs and we were happy.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor back side. Didn't hear any freeway or guest noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We are very pleased you had an excellent stay, and that Jason was able to provide outstanding service. We are sorry there was a dog barking from the house next to the hotel, but we are glad it did not bother you. We look forward to seeing you again in the future! Sincerely, Andrew Nintzel, GM
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

The property is located a few hundred feet off I 5, but I heard no car noise on my 2 visits here. A quick 5 minute drive gets you to some of the most beautiful beaches in California.
Although all rooms are identical, the team here recognize platinum members in other ways and it didn't get unnoticed!
The rate is very reasonable , ant it is a nice stopover for people heading down San Diego way. Yes, many kids, because of LEGOLAND, but they were all well behaved in my visits.
I'll be back!

Room Tip: Breakfast ends at 9:30, plan accordingly
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay this June. Even though our hotel is close to the I-5 freeway, it is very quiet nonetheless --- thank you for mentioning this! Yes, there are a lot of families staying with us this summer, due to our proximity to Legoland, but we are pleased this did not bother you during your stay. We thank you again for being a Platinum member with the Priority Club and look forward to welcoming you back again soon! Sincerely, Andrew Nintzel, GM
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We were headed to Legoland over the Memorial Day weekend, and was able to make a last minute reservation here at a very reasonable price. The staff and management, namely Andrew Nintzel, took very good care of us. Thank you Everyone! We would stay here again. Definitely.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Wow! Thanks for such a great review and the personal praise. It was a pleasure to get your reservation confirmed for the Holiday Weekend! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon! Sincerely, Andrew Nintzel, GM
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We're Holiday Inn members so we've stayed at lots of HIE's. They all have the same linens, fridge, free breakfast, and wifi - and yet, even still, some are great, and some not so great. Count this one among the latter.

The first thing to know is that this is Legoland country, so if you don't like lots of kids running around the hallways slamming doors, this is not the hotel for you. Not much you can do about that, but good to know nevertheless. Admittedly, we were there with our own kids and even we were overwhelmed with the sheer kid factor, but at least we knew what we were in for.

As for the actual hotel - it is also pet-friendly, and the staff seems to have not done a great job making up for that in the way of cleanliness. When we were there, the hallways had the odor of pets and dirty diapers. The vending area couldn't be used due to the smell. The rooms themselves were vacuumed and wiped down, yes, but not what I would call "clean" - carpets, etc could have used a good scrubbing. Our "view" was of the air conditioning unit, and the "view" from our second room was even worse.

The rates here are good so I expect they have a loyal fan base. Again, if you just need a place to rest after a long day at Legoland, go for it. But if you're looking for a quaint little place to reflect the beautiful Cardiff community, this ain't it.

Room Tip: Get a room as far away from the elevators as you can get. The rooms by the elevators have terrible v...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Dear noellossie,

We are sorry you experienced issues during your stay with us this May. Yes, our hotel's proximity to Legoland does mean that we have more families staying with us, especially during the weekend, and I am sorry you were disturbed by children running down the hallways. It is always our goal to make sure you are comfortable while staying with us, especially related to noise, and again, I am sorry this did not happen. Upon your feedback, we addressed the odor issue in the vending area. I am sorry you felt as though your room was not clean. The cleanliness of our guest rooms is very important for our housekeeping staff, so I will research why your room was not cleaned thoroughly. Once again, I am very sorry for the problems you experienced with us.

Andrew Nintzel, GM
Westminster, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

This was my first time at this location. The room did not have a microwave but one was available in the breakfast area. The room had a refrig and it was cold. The room was nice and the staff was pleasant. The breakfast area was nice and clean also. It seemed like possibly one of the owners was standing and staring at everyone to make sure they didn't take anything out of the breakfast area and this made me a little uncomfortable. I don't have time to sit and eat so I wanted to take a couple hard boiled eggs, a banana and a couple peanut butter with me and it might have been me but I decided to just get a cup of coffee. I didn't use the pool but it looked clean also. I did use the exercise room on the treadmill.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Andrew N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear carolyn v,

Thank you taking the time to provide feedback about your stay with us. Also, thank you for choosing our hotel. We are sorry it seemed as though somebody was monitoring the breakfast, but I can assure that we do not do this. Our breakfast is complimentary, so we encourage all of our guests to partake. I am very happy your room was comfortable and our staff took good care of you. I hope that the next time you come back to Cardiff you choose to stay with us again. Sincerely, Andrew Nintzel, GM
Springfield, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We spent 5 nights here and were very impressed with the staff- Edemlie and Holly at the front desk and the manager (Andrew) made us feel like family. The King room (262) was very big, but the bathroom was a bit small. The free breakfast was great and the location is perfect- just a 5 minute drive to the beach and a 1 minute drive to Interstate 5. This is our second time here, and we plan on going back next year.

Room Tip: We had room 262. Very quiet location facing the back of the hotel. We had a lot of privacy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Heidi S,

It was a pleasure to take care of you during your stay this May. We are glad we were able to meet your needs and I will be sure to pass along your feedback to our staff. Rm. 262 is a very quiet room and we are very happy it was private and big enough to make your stay comfortable. We very much look forward to seeing you again soon. Sincerely, Andrew Nintzel, GM

Been to Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area? Share your experiences!