“Great place to stay in Capitola” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Capitola
Modesto, California
“Great place to stay in Capitola”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Terrific hotel located on a main thoroughfare in Capilola, CA, shops and restaurants in walking distance.

The room was clean with a small living room, desk, wi-fi, lcd tv, microwave, and refrigerator.
Service was excellent.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Pulaski, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We were visiting family and friends in the Santa Cruz/ Capitola and this hotel was in a perfect location. One of the front deck employees called us prior to our stay to confirm our reseveration when she found out that we were traveling with a toddler she offered to make sure that we were on the first floor and upgraded us to a mini suite. The room was clean and comfortable. The bed was exceptional. All of the staff we interacted with was friendly and helpful, including the GM. We will be staying here on our next trip to Santa Cruz.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
san ramon, ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Upon arriving I was given a key that did not work, the in room refrigerator was so loud I had to unplug it in the middle of the night. But, that was minor compared to the service. I asked for a late checkout, and was told the hotel was completely booked they could only extend it by 30 min. Normal check out time is 12:00pm; @ 12:15 there was a knock on the door "housekeeping" I was just getting out of the shower so by the time I was able to get to the door, there was no one there. At 12:32 pm there was another knock on the door, followed by a key being inserted into the door. Lucklly, I had the latch on. Through the crack, I asked the man if the hotel had given my room away already. He just stared at me, then looked down at his watch. He finally said he was the manager and asked if I was going to be much longer. I told him no, and shut the door. I love Capitola and will definitely go back, but I will not be staying at the Best Western "plus" again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

They say they are friendly here and we found that to be true. Front desk was friendly and helpful. They have really embraced the Begonia theme in the decor - from the rugs to the lighting fixtures in the public spaces. Lots of framed posters of past Begonia Festivals and paintings of Capitola. Good breakfast - the pastries were fresh, the coffee was good - I made myself waffles! Lots of spaces to sit and eat - indoor or out. The walk to the village was quick and easy for us, a bit of uphill on the way back - we didn't notice it but if you are a non-walker you might. The location was convenient for the shopping errands we had to do - yet the hotel felt quiet once you are inside. We got a great rate with AAA discount, one room had King bed, and sitting area with sofa bed and fireplace (didn't use). This was on the ground floor and faced the pool, so not so private/quiet when people were using it if you wanted window or drapes open. Second room was an accessible room which had sitting area with sofa bed and TV and a separate room with King and TV. This room was big! On the corner (ground floor) so lots of light from windows. I would happily stay here again!

Room Tip: Corner accessible room was huge! Ground floor facing pool might be a bit less private/quiet
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
milwaukee, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

For some unknown reason we were given a complimentary upgrade to a mini-suite, which of course enhanced our experience here. There was a gas fireplace which we eagerly took advantage of both evenings after returning from cooler than expected outdoor wedding activities. The motel is easy to find though not as close to Capitola Beach as we had hoped ... but actually this might be a good thing because the central beach/downtown area is very busy. Breakfast was adequate, the grounds are lovely, the pool is great.

Room Tip: Third floor mini-suite overlooking pool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

At the front desk is a man by the name Jason. He is just so friendly and very helpful. I did not know the area- he explained exactly to me how to get to the places I was trying to get to. He explained all the services the hotel has to offer- so my daughter and I felt very comfortable with the hotel right away. Jason is a perfect person to have working for the hotel- hope we can come back and stay again sometime- beautiful town!!!

• Stayed September 2012
Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My parents stayed here for two weeks in July and it is no exaggeration to say that everything about this hotel made their holiday extra special. They had a great two-room King-bed mini suite. Before the trip, as I had booked the hotel for them, I called to let them know my parents would be checking in late, not only did Christine note the late-check in but told me which room they had and even gave me exciting details of warm cookies in the lobby and a brand new King bed in the room. Steve was also really fantastic at check-in (for which my tired jet-lagged parents were grateful).

During their trip - all of the staff were really lovely from the front desk team: Steve, Christine, Blake, to housekeeping, and groundskeeper.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who asked. I have stayed in hotels in many places in my time - I was genuinely and wonderfully surprised by how brilliant this place was.
I was very grateful too that I was able to join my parents for breakfast though I wasn't staying there myself (thanks, BW for the healthy hard-boiled eggs and cups of tea). The staff were just so welcoming.

Great gym (my Dad and Mum both used this during their trip). Secure, great location (v. close to everything Capitola-wise). Comfy bed. Genuinely nothing in the con column. Awesome place. Yay!

Room Tip: Room on the ground floor was v. quiet and with a door-bell!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Capitola By-the-Sea Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!