“The BEST in Capitola!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Capitola Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Capitola
Capitola Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Capitola
San Jose, California
“The BEST in Capitola!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

What a great hotel!! The rooms are really special and we LOVE the staff. We just got back from our second stay there this summer and will go again. We've stayed in the Paradise Island room and recently in the Grand Cayman room. (My only wish is that the Grand Cayman room had a sitting area - remove the bed by the window and put in a couple of chairs and a small table with a lamp?? End of my decorating tips!)

We can't thank Susan and Joanne enough for all they do for us - they're such wonderful assets to the hotel and always go the extra mile. We'll be back!!!

1 Thank sanfrancisco48

Bay Area, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

We stayed at the Capitola Hotel on a Friday night en route to a family event in Santa Cruz. The hotel is tastefully decorated with a small but charming private courtyard on the side where you can relax with a glass of wine in the evening. We stayed in Paradise Island which is a smaller room with a fully accessible roll-in shower in a large bathroom. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The ceiling fan kept the room at a comfortable temperature on a warm summer evening. Prior posts regarding the street noise from the bar scene across the street are not an exaggeration. We used earplugs to muffle the noise and had no problem sleeping peacefully. More noticeable to us was the sound of other guests, as our room opened directly off of the lobby. The location near the nightlife is a negative if you're an early-to-bed person, but along with that downside comes the convenience of the location a stone's throw from the beach and good restaurants. Parking in the area is challenging, but once we found a spot across the street we left the car there until we checked out. No need to drive anywhere---Location!! The rooms come with a parking pass that allows you to park in most of the metered parking areas in the neighborhood. We got a detailed description from employee Susan of where we could park with our parking pass, so no issues with unexpected tickets from vigilant parking enforcement officers. We had an outstanding dinner at the Stockton Bridge Grill just down the street. Breakfast pass to a nearby cafe was included, but the fare was unimpressive and did not include drinks. Fortunately there was great coffee and biscotti available in the hotel lobby. We were very impressed with the excellent service from the hotel staff and were pleasantly surprised when the lady at the front desk the next morning (sorry, can't remember her name) offered to let us stay one additional hour past normal check-out time to accomodate our family event. We will definitely stay here on our next visit to Capitola. We want to stay in the Grand Cayman room with its private street-front courtyard.

1 Thank Cali-Beach-Lover
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

I stayed at the Capitola Hotel on 8/17-8/18 with family from Florida. I live in California and was taking family to see the sites. We stayed in various places, but the Capitola Hotel had to be the best. The rooms are superior. The service was prompt and courteous. Susan who was working at the front desk was so professional and knowledgeable. The location is the best you can get for downtown, as it is right there in the heart of everything. She handled some disgruntled guests with some much patience and professionalism. Yes, I will be going back there anytime I stay in that area. It was a delight.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank CaliforniaTraveler52
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

I would NEVER stay here again! First of all I booked my reservation a month ago online and I spoke to the woman on the phone to confirm that I had indeed booked the Grand Bahama Room and the Matinique. Upon arriving Tues August 17th I was told I had reserved the Martinique (1 queen bed) & the Paradise (1 king bed). Clearly there weren't enough beds for everyone seeing how it was myself, my husband, my 2 kids, & my Mom. The woman behind the desk (she had short brown hair) felt bad so she gave us a "free" parking pass. Well the rooms were SO small my son slept on an outdoor cushion she provided. They make The Martinique sound so appealing it has it's own entrance and is in the front of the hotel. Not only did you hear the music from the bars across the street, the stairs are right behind the headboard so you could hear people going up and down. The next morning we were told our "free" parking pass was given away(kind of like my reservation) and Susan who worked behind the desk was HORRIBLE! She was out of her mind. She had the never to look at my 12 year old daughter & say "Don't turn out like them" referring to my Mom and I. Shame on her to speak to someone else's child that way is UNTHINKABLE! I was very upset to say the least! I have NEVER been treated so poorly by a hotel staffer and I have traveled extensively. WHATEVER YOU DO PLEASE DON'T STAY HERE!!! We checked out early & luckily saved our vacation

4 Thank Angie526
Albuquerque, NM
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

I had an awful experience in this hotel. I couldn't wait to leave. First we checked in and the room was so small we couldn't put our suitcase down and still have room to walk around the bed. The walls are super thin so I had to put the TV on just to try not to listen to the couples conversation in the next room. The parking is a nightmare. They give you a parking pass, with very complicated instructions about which color meters you can park at, and at which times. So, you probably guessed that we accidentally parked at a green meter when it was dark outside and are now saddled with a sweet $75 ticket. It's not just the outsiders that are targeted though, because when we complained to the front desk, we were told that the owner just got ticketed today and he was standing next to his car! Then there is the noise. I have no idea what the previous poster meant by the city shutting down early. Until 11:30 on weekdays and 12:30am on weekends the bars outside are thumping loud music and people are screaming in the streets. I guess the hotel tries to prepare you for this by providing complimentary earplugs and a sign on the wall about how to contact the police if the noise is still loud after 12:30am. The management leaves the property at 8pm. I am a light sleeper and it was miserable. I got some sleep until 6:30 am when the garbage trucks and some lady who throws glass bottles from the bars into her truck come out and make noise. The breakfast at the cafe down the street is good, but there are no drinks included. I couldn't believe it. So, not having brought my wallet to the "comlimentary" breakfast, I walked back to the hotel 3 times to refill my coffee cup in the hotel lobby. No drinks??? I mean seriously, vacation shouldn't be this hard. The staff memeber who checked us in was pretty rude, but the staff member who checked us out was very nice. Her name was Susan.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank jak51
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

We stayed in the Grand Cayman--great room, super comfortable beds, kitchen. The woman at the desk was nice and gave us a parking pass. There's a free breakfast at the cafe next door. It's right in dntwn capitola which closes super early at night!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

We just stayed at the capitola hotel this past weekend and had a wonderful experience. The staff was very helpful in recomending places to visit and seemed to really enjoy working there. The room that we stayed in
(Bonaire)overlooked a nice little courtyard . The room itself was clean and very comfortable,with the bed being the best! They use good quality linens along with the most comfortable mattress I have slept on. The bathroom
has two showerheads(loved it) and also nice & clean. The
lady at the front desk had mentioned that they had just
put new carpet throughout hotel and new tile in bathrooms-it definely shows!
The location was the first reason we looked at this hotel and it was great-right in the middle of everything. The
beach is right across the street along with several restaurants&shops. We chose to take the recomendation of the lady at the front desk and have dinner at the shadowbrook restaurant-it is a short walk and was a wonderful evening. Great food and beautiful location,right
on the river with a cable car ride to see the views.
There is a free breakfast at a restaurant down the street
which comes with the room along with gourmet coffee,tea and biscottis(yum). The breakfast has a somewhat limited menu-however it is a nice plus.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there and have already
made plans to return!

• Stayed May 2010
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Capitola
BEST WESTERN PLUS Capitola By-the-Sea Inn & Suites
Monarch Cove Inn
Monarch Cove Inn
#2 of 3 in Capitola
4.5 of 5 stars 182 reviews

Been to Capitola Hotel? Share your experiences!