“Great getaway or wedding venue!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Monarch Cove Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Capitola
Monarch Cove Inn
You added Monarch Cove Inn to your Saves list
620 El Salto Drive, Capitola, CA 95010   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Capitola B&B and Inns
Fremont, California, United States
“Great getaway or wedding venue!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I were married at Monarch Cove Inn in July, 2013. When you book a Saturday wedding, they require that you are able to book all of the rooms for Friday and Saturday night. They also give a complementary weeknight evening to the bride and groom so we tacked that on to the stay and were there Thurs, Fri, and Sat nights. Since we were required to book all the rooms for the weekend, it was great having our friends and family there with us the whole time.
Overall it was a wonderful experience! Of course there are many things to note so I will break it down for those interested in hearing more.

The Property:
It is beautiful all year round. We first saw Monarch Cove in March when we booked it and then came back in May and again in June during wedding planning. The grounds are gorgeous and maintained beautifully. There is plenty of parking for those that are staying there and it is at the end of a block so it is quiet and feels like being at home. Even when we were staying there on Thursday night and the other people who were on the property were not friends or family, we felt very comfortable walking around, it really had a homelike feeling about it. There is an amazing view of the ocean out on the main grass area which is of course a stunning view for a wedding. The flowers are gorgeous and blooming in the spring and summer time and they keep the grass maintained nicely as well. The large deck where we had our reception was great for our rehearsal dinner as well and the kids loved running around on the grass at the wedding. It made for a perfectly casual but beautiful day.

The Rooms:
The rooms are very large. When looking at the website, it appears as though the rooms are not that big because you only see the bed in some of the pictures. This is NOT the case. There are several pull out beds that are available for use. They keep one in each of the 2 bedroom suites and then I believe there are at least 3 other pull outs available to put in various rooms. As the bride and groom, we stayed in the ocean mist suite which I believe is the best room on site. It is a 2 bedroom suite that has a view of the ocean and the large grass area. As I was getting ready the morning of my wedding, I could see dolphins swimming in the ocean. It is such a peaceful area! The other rooms are also very nice and have various options for showers and baths. I went to take a shower one morning and the water was ice cold but I was able to take a bath and get hot water. The toilets were also a little tricky at times as well. Both our toilet and one of the other toilets got momentarily clogged but were easily fixed. It is an old property and the plumbing may not be the best.
Everything was very clean and comfortable. The bed we slept in was soft and cozy. There were plenty of pillows and towels and more were brought when requested.
There are also 3 rooms/cottages that have a hot tub in back of them. This was really fun to take advantage of during our stay. There are a few rooms that have a mini kitchen which also came in handy over the weekend.

Service:
The staff are truly top notch and over the top amazing! Everyone is so friendly and always willing to help out with a smile. Krista was so helpful with everything when we booked our wedding there and followed through with everything promised. I think that everyone there is really thorough and knows what is going on so there are never really any unanswered questions. Upon check-in, someone takes you to your room and shows you where everything is and what to do in the event of an emergency as well. Breakfast is brought to you at a chosen time from 8:30am and later and I didn't ever feel as though anyone ever expected any additional compensation for their actions. It was nice to feel taken care of.
Breakfast was delicious and there was A LOT of it. Scones, pastries, yogurt, juice, coffee and fruit delivered to your room every morning were so yummy!
I also really liked the fact that there is no staff on the grounds past 6pm. It was really a nice way to feel like you are in more of a home environment. There a phone numbers and such of contacts in the event anything happens but it doesn't have the hotel feel to it.

Location:
Since it is in a residential neighborhood, it is really quiet and calm. They have some strict rules involving noise levels and such but nothing that impeded on my ability to have a great time. Even with a DJ at a wedding, it wasn't a problem, the music was plenty loud enough and with a wedding of 125 people, no one had any difficulty hearing speeches or the ceremony itself.
It is perfectly located within walking distance to downtown Capitola. If you haven't been there before, it is a cute beach town with lots of shops and cute restaurants. It was a fun getaway for us and we only live about an hour north.

The Wedding Stuff:
My wedding was everything I wanted it to be. Monarch Cove was so great with attempting to accommodate what I wanted and needed for my wedding. By booking with the wedding, you are required to use their caterer (five star catering) which wasn't an issue because they were amazing. Their food is absolutely delicious and they are amazingly organized too. They know the property so well and work well with any staff that came in. We were able to bring in our own alcohol and use whatever bakery we wanted for our cake. The staff at Monarch Cove were great on the day of and everyone said they felt so comfortable and had a great time. The rules were reasonable and they were flexible with what we wanted to bring in. The DJ was able to work with their noise level and as I mentioned earlier, it was plenty loud. The only thing that was a little annoying was the microphone we had to use for speeches. It just didn't work that great and you had to have your mouth so close to it for the sound to register. We got used to it and it ended up being fine in the end.

Overall, we had such a fantastic experience and I would recommend Monarch Cove Inn to any of my friends or family to stay or have a wedding there!
Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Got engaged there on the grounds. Will definitely be returning soon. The grounds are beautiful and the location is amazing. Staff was very helpful also. Close to town and walking trails. The view is amazing.

• Stayed July 2013
Pleasanton, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

One note: My friend and I are active seniors in our sixties and negotiated the stairs OK but they are very steep and have very low railings! Holding onto a low railing with a suitcase while negotiating high risers on the stairs is a real challenge. Don't recommend this upstairs suite for seniors. Choose the one with the nice porch in front and only four steps to get to the room.
This is a lovely place with beautiful views of the water, sea otters and ocean below. I wish there had been a sitting area in MBR so we could sit and enjoy the view in the evening, having a glass of wine, before dinner. There is lots of room to add seating in the bedroom. The second bedroom has no view - OK if your are travelling with kids, but I was with a girlfriend who was sharing the cost and we both want master bedrooms. OK, we/re spoiled brats....but true. So, we loved the place, the view and the limo service from Shadowbrook that picked up and delivered us safely, to and from dinner, at no charge. We tipped generously, of course.

!

Room Tip: This was my second trip to Monarch Cove. The first one, breakfast arrived so late, my husband and I...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Our stay was fabulous! The view is amazing and the accommodations were comfortable and well maintained and clean.The grounds are beautiful! Also, it's within walking distance to Capitola Village and the walk is a breathtaking view of the ocean. We will definitely be back to this quaint little hideaway.

• Stayed June 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

The cottage was adorable and very clean. Being near the ocean, things can be worn looking and moldy smelling and this place was tops. The gazebo with the jacuzzi was so great and the view was one of a kind. All of the office staff was kind and very accommodating. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

This was my second visit to Monarch Cove Inn. It was even better than the first. My sister and daughter and I enjoyed the ocean bluff walk and the wonderful outdoor sitting area. The room was delightful as was the unobtrusive service. A gluten free option would have been nice for breakfast but still we enjoyed the fresh fruit and yogurt.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Cupertino, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Views to remember for a lifetime. Rooms are amazing and gorgeous.Staff are great. Amazing place to have a wedding! Wish I'd known about it earlier.

Walking Distance to 2 Beaches! And what a nice neighborhood! Price is very reasonable also.
Also Family friendly... Other B&B places are not kid friendly, they all want you to rent a room per 2 occupants... This place has no restrictions bringing your kids in the same room.

There's no pool, but we had a private patio and a jacuzzi!

Went as 2 families (Us and a friend's family) and we had a GREAT TIME!

Delightful experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Monarch Cove Inn? Share your experiences!