“stay far far away!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Capistrano Seaside Inn

Capistrano Seaside Inn
You added Capistrano Seaside Inn to your Saves list
Capistrano Seaside Inn
1.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   34862 Pacific Coast Highway, Capistrano Beach, CA 92624   |
“stay far far away!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2005

Stay AWAY from this hotel! All of these other bad reviews are aboslutely correct and I was very wrong for not reading them before I booked the trip- This hotel was mold ridden, old, dirty and disgusting. I was worried about everything I touched-the lansdscaping and bushes on the grounds were infested with Hybiscus white flies and the inn keeper was an idiot. There was just a wire coming from the ceiling for the fire detector- and the room's amenities were falling apart- there were three types of old broken window shades and the sheets/comforter were old and rotted- my feet were black with dirt from walking barefoot from the bed to the shower on very old black tile. I checked out after my first and terrifying night- and booked into another one up the street- more money, but worth the peace of mind- worst hotel I have ever stayed in- and I travel a great deal worldwide.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2005

Not at all what I expected. Saw it on an internet booking site. I drove in and out three times thinking "this can't be the same place pictured on the website."

The pictures made it look nice, clean and quaint. It wasn't. It was dumpy and looked like the outside hadn't been painted in about 15 years. While relatively clean (except for the hair on the shower wall), I found it to be run down, even though the room was "remodeled". The furniture looked like it had been picked up second hand and bathroom's window did not stay open and the grout and tiles were cracked and falling apart. When I checked in I discovered that my color TV was indeed color, but only one (green). The staff was very accomodating and quickly moved me to another room. I must say that the staff were very nice.

The trains and the traffic (complete with idiots that insist on honking as they drive by - not the hotel's fault) kept waking me up all night and I am not a light sleeper. I found that the beds and pillows were flat and lumpy. The faucets in the bathroom and the wet bar metal sink both leaked and the clink, clink, clink of the drops hitting the metal sink felt like a water toture treatment (that is, when I could hear it between trains, trucks, and load car stereos). I did enjoy the sound of the waves - the two times that I was able to hear it over the road, train and dripping noise.

This is a motel, a little run down and very noisy. At $80 per night, I didn't think it was worth it. I would have been happy paying $45 for the night. The thing that bothered me the most is that the online pictures were deceiving. Had I known the truth of what this place is really like, I either would not have stayed here or would not have been so shocked when I got there. Unfortunately, having booked online, I was stuck. It was already paid for. There are better places in town for the same price.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Capistrano Beach hotels

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2005

This little inn between Dana Point and San Clemente is a cute little inn with lots off charachter and is totally charming. It's right across the street from the beach, you can hear the waves crashing at night. The train comes by every so often, but it is not as bad as some people make it out to be. The rooms are small, but cute. The sunsets are wonderful. I would totally recommmend this place for anyone. I will definately be back. Also, the service that we received was excellent. The girl at the desk was really polite and very helpful with dinner ideas, and suggestions for day trips, etc.

Los Angeles, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2005

We just spend a Friday night at the CSI. We found it to be a typical, but rundown two star motel/inn.

Our biggest problem was the proximity of both the (4 lane) Pacific Coast Highway and the active commuter rail line. Both are between the Inn and the beach. The trains sounds their horn at a crossing maybe 100 yds away each time they pass. I remember trains at both 12:30 AM and 6 AM.

We felt that the location of both the PCH and the train lines should have been disclosed in the description. I'm a light sleeper, so I do look for a level of quiet when I'm hotel hunting. I would guess that the chain hotels that also share this stretch of beach also omit the train lines in their specs.

The rooms have paper thin walls and the (admittedly loud) conversation from the room next to us added to the lack of sleep. It's a noisy place. If you're a light sleeper, stay somewhere else.

We found the room to be clean, no evidence of mold as mentioned in many of the earlier reviews below. The bedding was just adequate, if you like nice sheets and fluffy pillows (ours were ffllllaaaattt) this isn't the place for you.

Each room has a nice little patio and chairs outside the french entrance doors. We were able to use the wood burning fireplace which was a free-standing round metal unit. It did a great job heating the room. I wouldn't suggest firing it up if you've got small kids, it's too easy to bump into.

If you do stay, get one of the 2nd floor rooms. It has a superior beach view.
I might add that if you want to walk to the beach you need to walk to either a crosswalk about 100 yards to the south or a bridge further to the north near the chain hotels.

If you're looking for an economical place and sleep like the dead this place could work. We would have stayed if the noise wasn't such a big factor.

We found the staff friendly and attentive. Again, nothing like the reviews earlier. They were even cool when we decided to check out around 6:45 AM on Sat. morning. I believe we woke them up.

I asked if we could get a refund for our pre-paid Sat. night because we found it too noisy. They understood and agreed to a refund. We are expecting a refund from Hotels at this time.

orange county
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2005

If you are looking for a charming beach getaway at a great price, this is the spot. Yes, it is across the street from the railroad tracks, but it's fun to watch the trains go by. Yes, it is right off PCH and there is traffic noise, but that goes for all ocean view places in Capistrano Beach. The place is newly remodeled, with new bathrooms, beds, and wet bars. Plus, you have a balcony (if you are upstairs, which we highly recommend) or patio where you can watch the sunset or listen to the waves roll in.
The staff couldn't have been nicer, the room was immaculate except for some stains on the carpet near the fireplace, and the grounds resemble a country garden. The breakfast is typical of a free continental breakfast, but you are within walking distance of many restaurants including an excellent Mexican restaurant called Olamendi's.
The beach is very kid friendly, with gentle surf and bonfire pits. There are walking and biking paths and volleyball courts right across the street.
All in all, if you want a place with soul, the Capistrano Seaside Inn is above average for the price.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2004

Hated it! It was creepy. The jacuzzi was from the 1970's and it was loud, small rooms and it has definitely made me very leary of internet bookings. To their defense, I think they are trying to improve, but...start by taking down Xmas lights and painting. The breakfast was fine.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2004

Hell would be better!!!!!!!!!! Literally! for starts I too was deceived by the internet photos........the photographer should have been paid a million dollars...then briskly whisked off to jail! The hotel is down on its luck and besides that there is MOLD everywhere 2 seconds after getting into my room my breathing became eratic......(note to self) contact the health department then get a tetanus shot!!! The bedding was pre Vietnam era and filthy. We lasted about 1 hour on the electric bull.....the owners wife was extremly rude and lied, lied, LIED to us to keep us there...just a matter of time before a lawsuit is filed!! this place should pay you to stay there (triple figures)....and if at all possible...... "DO NOT STAY THERE" and if this is your last resort "SLEEP ON THE BEACH"!!!!!

Been to Capistrano Seaside Inn? Share your experiences!