“It was fine!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Riviera Shores Resort

Save Saved
You added Riviera Shores Resort to your Saves list
Riviera Shores Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34642 Pacific Coast Highway, Capistrano Beach, CA 92624-1301   |
Pueblo
“It was fine!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

I put in a request for a resort near Anaheim, CA with Interval International and this is the ony resort available for the time I needed to be in CA. After reading some of the reviews on this site, I was weary about what I would find. However, from the time I arrived until the time I left my stay at the resort was very positive. The room I was in was clean and had everything I needed in it to be comfortable. Now I don't think I would stay at this resort if I just wanted to stay there and relax but that is only because of the traffic and the train that passes by it seems like every 10 minutes. It is a little noisy. My only complaint is that they do not have free Wifi other than that, I would return back!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

32 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Peoria, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

Time Share hotel right near Dana Point Harbor. The location is fine, right across PCH from the beach. You can access the beach via a walking bridge & you can ride bikes to Dana Point or San Clemente without too much difficulty. The positives pretty much stop there. The one bedroom has a wall around the bedroom that stops 3 feet from the ceiling as does the door for the bedroom, not private by any means. The Interval site lists a resteraunt on the 4th floor- not so, it closed more than 6 months ago! The doors for the rooms don't seal so every time someone else shuts their door your door rattles and it sounds like someone is coming into your room! The people in the room above can be heard very well as the place seriously lacks insullation! The train on the other hand was not a both- we could barely hear it but we were in a room in the new wing. The older wing has balconies that connect to the room next door and are only seperated by clear glass so you can be sitting outside and be literally joined by the folks next door just inches away! Also- no free wifi in rooms, they charge by the hour or week! Kitchen was fine but no oven or toaster oven. Grill on patio is a nice touch for cooking fresh food while on vacation. Workout room is filled with old equipment but there were enough free weights and machines to get a good workout, you'd be smart to get your cardio done via the beach or trails as the cardio machines were ancient.
The hotel was passable but clearly not what we expected based on the rating in the Interval book or web site. The hotel we traded for this is leaps and bounds above this one so that was dissapointing. I would not stay here again if I had the ability to choose more wisely when I put in for a trade.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Yelm, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

The rooms are clean, and everything you need to cook and eat are there. We stayed for a week so there was plenty of chances for a messed up experience, but none happened. Except for the fact that the wake-up call never happened is the only thing that was wrong with our stay, so maybe setting the alarm is suggested. The staff is extremely helpfull, coutious, and knowledgeable about the attractions near the timeshare. I also upgraded my ownership, so the service is top drawer. I would recomend this place to anyone. I'm even planning my next vacation which isn't until april, and this resort is ganna be my place to be.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

We stayed at Riviera Shores the last week in May with our 4 children, ages 8 to 19. The resort is older and kind of a no-frills place, however our 2 bedroom suite was extremely spacious and fairly comfortable with a living room, dining room, balcony with bbq, kitchen and 2 bathrooms. The master bedroom was enormous and included a double sink and jetted tub. The 2 bedroom suites do not have an ocean view but look out on a steep hillside. The pool was adequate and appeared to be clean. We were able to check out bicycles to ride along the beach. We didn't participate in any of the (very few) resort activities or eat in the restaurant. The restaurant didn't look too tempting. It wasn't an elegant place but was a good place to crash after a busy day at Disney, San Diego, or the beaches. It's halfway between SD and LA. Disney is about 30-40 minutes away, depending on traffic. Capistrano beach has lost a lot of sand because of high waves this year, so we didn't spend a ton of time there. We went up to Newport and Laguna and down to San Diego. All beaches were cold and windy the whole time we were there. Dana Point Harbor is 5 minutes away.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

This past week, we have stayed at the Riviera Shores Resort which for the most part was okay however the train that passes through is really difficult to sleep through. It also has really thin walls that betray every noise from your neighbors. And the room shakes a little when the train rumbles pass. A little discerning as it feels like an earthquake.

However the end of our trip was ruined. The second to last day of our stay, we decided to rent out bikes from the Riviera to go cycling. However upon trying to unlock the broken lock, the key snapped. We went back to the people to tell them and they told us we now owed $20 for a broken lock. After talking to the manager the lock price was reduced to $10.

On our last day we had to pass the bike rack to get to the parking lot and we noticed that the broken lock and been put back onto the bike. So just as a warning to future bike users, check the lock before you decide to rent out that bike, if it looks dodgy don't do it!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

I stayed here with my family for a week. The location was fabulous. We stayed on the 4th floor in a 1 bedroom since they are the ones with a view. Although it was only a 1 bedroom, it was plenty spacious for our family of 4. We particularly liked the fact that we had a kitchenette and our own bbq on our balcony. We were able to grill steaks and corn on the cob one night, and grill hot dogs and hamburgers for the 4th of July. We had perfect seats for the fireworks held on the ocean, right across the street from us! Doheny State Beach is also right across the way via a pedestrian bridge.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Riviera Shores Resort? Share your experiences!