“A must visit...” 4 of 5 stars

Activities: Group tours/train
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This museum runs a vintage train from Campo to the Mexican border. The experience offers open vistas, secluded valleys and spectacular views.
San Diego, California
14 attraction reviews
“A must visit...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The Pacific Southwest Rail Museum area is comprised of a train depot with a few restored train jewels, and many a wrecked trains just outside of the building. It also has a charming little shop where you purchase (or pickup) your museum tickets.

I bought tickets for the cabin and rode next to the conductor and the engineer -- had a great time because I also got a fun History lesson. The train does not go all the way to Tecate because part of the rail has collapsed (and I was told repairs are now in the hands of the Baja California governor). I hope the tracks get repaired soon.

I highly recommend visiting the Museum, and while you are there enjoy a train ride.

Visited July 2012

San Diego, California
21 attraction reviews
“Fantastic Distraction”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The all-volunteer staff was extremely friendly, helpful, and informative. They answered all my questions as if they'd never heard them before. I learned a lot about trains of various eras while waiting to board. The trip itself was slow and relaxing, winding through the mountains past a few farms and homesteads. The sounds of the train squealing and chugging made me feel like I was in an old-time western movie. The restored static displays were really worth taking some time. There are several rail cars waiting to be restored. I just can't imagine how they get the time and money for any of these projects. Looks like they have very few volunteers to do a whole lot of work. Overall, well worth the minimal cost and the drive from San Diego.

Visited September 2012
Plano, TX
13 attraction reviews
“Nice ride, 1.5 hours long”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

This is located about 1 hour east of San Diego. We did it when the weather was moderate, but I wouldn't want to do it in the heat of the summer. It was a nice museum all run be volunteers who are really dedicated to it. My husband loves trains and has always wanted to ride in the cab of an engine; he got this experience on this trip at a very moderate cost compared to other rare opportunities that he has seen elsewhere. We would recommend this. (To ride the train, you do have to use the steps on the train. I didn't see any handicap access.)

Visited February 2012
Concord, CA
21 attraction reviews
“Fun train ride”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Really enjoyed my visit, but I would only go if the train is running. There are a few trains on display in a building that is nice, and a bunch of trains outside that seem to be waiting renovation. All nice to see but I wouldn't make the trip just to see them. The train ride is pretty short and slow but still took 1.5 hours. The car was not heated and did not have a restroom. The nice part was that the trip was through some nice desert landscape and took you all the way up to a tunnel that is the border with Mexico. The locomotive was in the back so you got an unobstructed view out of the front to the tracks ahead, There was also a gate at the front of the car that was low enough that it didn't obstruct views but high enough that it was safe to let my 5 year old son stand there without worry for his safety. All of the people working there were very friendly. Note that this place is also known as the San Diego Railroad Museum even though it is about an hour east of San Diego. I'd allow for 3 hours here including the train ride.

Visited November 2011