“Worst Stay in Bhutan” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Tashi Namgay Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Paro
Tashi Namgay Resort
Damsebu, Paro, Bhutan   |
Ranked #6 of 22 Paro B&B and Inns
“Worst Stay in Bhutan”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was our last stay in Bhutan and our worst. It started by the staff giving us a twin room, and when I asked if we could have a double bed, we were told just to push them together ourselves. The food was also some of the worst of our stay, and foul coffee! Ask your tour guide to eat at one of the restaurants in town for lunch and dinner instead. The other downside to this hotel is the lack of privacy. The rooms all have large windows and the staff walk infront of them regularly, so your curtains need to be closed at all times.

The location is pretty cool, and you can watch the planes land and take off, and you have the river flowing right infront of your room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

109 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Spent one night at this hotel as the Zhiwa Ling was full (moved to the Zhiwa Ling on the second night and it is a MUCH better hotel, of course also MUCH more expensive). It is a nice hotel, by the river and almost on the runway of the airport. Reception desk was bad, they made such a mess with my bill that it took me a while to make them fix it. The breakfast buffet is really poor, very little choice - so remember to bring your cereal bars (life savers!). The room is not so bad, spacious but very basic. The worst thing about the room is the bathroom - not only does it needs to be cleaned more properly, they put small rocks on the floor of the shower (guess they want to make it look like the bottom of the river), but it just makes it very slippery and it hurts the feet!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Gypsum, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My partner and I spent four nights at Tashi Namgay, and overall, we enjoyed the experience. The rooms are reasonably large, and equipped with small but powerful space heaters you can plug in to warm the room overnight if needed. The bathrooms are fairly large, and generally clean, as the cleaning service throughout the hotel is good. The rooms are not well-lit, so it would be hard to read at night, for example, without a torch. The wifi service is fairly fast, at a rate of 50 ng. per person per hour (about $1 USD per hour). Large tour groups who stay overnight favor Tashi Namgay. The food is O.K., typical buffet fare; the service in the restaurant is friendly and good. The location is very good, on a hill overlooking both the Paro River and the airport.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, Holland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

For my last night before my flight back home I was booked in this hotel. Although the entrance is very impressive, the room is not. Room 140 was the furthest away from the main building. This would not have been a problem, but I think the service was because of the distance, very absent. The room was small, no bed lights, in the coffee-corner no water- heater, the shower with a concrete floor, dirty, and the shower wall with mold! I didn't use it. On top of this all, they didn't give me the wake-up call as requested. Although I had my own alarm clock as well, before flights I'd like to be sure, and when I mentioned this to the reception, no reaction was heard. Maybe other rooms are better and cleaner, with more equipment, and maybe the reception had its bad day, but I cannot recommend this place. Decor is not enough to make a client happy.

Room Tip: Don't accept room 140
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
TNRParo, Owner at Tashi Namgay Resort, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Thank you so much for your honest feedback on our resort. I am very sorry for all those inconvenience caused during your stay at Tashi Namgay Resort (TNR). I wish I could unwind the clock and make your stay a memorable at TNR like most of our guest; unfortunately I could only extend my apology.
You have rightly pointed out the reason for late service and other problems associated with the room where two of you were put up. Room No 140 (and other 3) is categorized as budget room meant for walk-in guest with tight budget. Since your booking was done at the last minute probably while you were on the way to resort and also at the time when all decent rooms were sold out. We had no option than to allot 140 – but were not done without the consent of the concerned person. With regards to wake up call we have automatic wake up call machine – I am trying to find out why that failed, anyway thank you for bringing this up.
Once again I apologize for spoiling your last night in Bhutan. The least I could do is assure you that we will give an extra attention if guest are put up in those budget rooms. Without a doubt rest rooms (superior, deluxe, suite and executive suites) at TNR are more comfortable and specious than what you pay for….Tashi Delek!
Bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Tashi Namgay was the first hotel we stayed during our visit to Bhutan.

Check in was a breeze. We were received and offered warm tea on arrival. Once we checked into the room we were pleasantly surprised at the simple looking yet very functional room. Rooms are large and very clean.

Bathrooms are large and very clean. However; it could have been better with some thought put in while designing the room.

Staff at the resort are very courteous and helpful.

Restaurant is nothing fancy. They have very limited items to offer. One would struggle to find local cuisine in the restaurant.

WiFi is available, but is not free. Eventhough its a paid service, its not the best.

View from the resortis nice. Location is pretty decent as its away from the crowded town. Resort is exceptionally quiet during the evenings. There could be noise when aircraft land and take off as its close to the airport.

Paro Dzong can be viewed from the room and it looks pretty nice in the evening.

I would definitely recommend Tashi Namgey Resort for stay in Paro.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

The Tashi Namgay Resort is located just across from the airport, but with the limited Druk Air service, this is not a problem. It is also just above the Paro River and the sound of rushing water permeates the facility. It's just high enough on the hill to have a nice view of the Paro Valley. My room was large and nice. I had a room with a balcony overlooking the valley and the river and I spend several of my most peaceful hours in Bhutan on the balcony reading, writing, and listening to the river. My bed was large and comfortable, the shower had hot water, and the meal in the restaurant was Indian, and fine. There were several large tour groups staying at the hotel, one Indian and one Chinese, but they arrived late and left early. Although not the Uma Paro hotel, for the value, it was a wonderful alternative.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony overlooking the river.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

My room was facing the river and it was pleasant listening to the river from the room. The room was very clean except for the river stones in the shower which had a foul smell. I asked for a lightbulb for my bedside table and three people showed up WITHOUT a light bulb. So the three took the lamp and brought a new lamp, again all three of them. There are no screens on the windows so you can't open them and one of the highlights is the sound of the river and you can't open the windows to hear it. When I got to my room, front desk called and asked what time I'm having dinner. I never really know what time I'll have dinner when it's the middle of the afternoon.
The food was very average. There was a buffet and I asked to see a menu and the response was that it will take too long to get the food if I order off the menu. When I got back to my room I got a call from the front desk asking what time I will be having breakfast. The calls were annoying.

The hotel was in a lovely location with beautiful views and very convenient to the airport.

Room Tip: Ask for a riverfront cottage.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Tashi Namgay Resort? Share your experiences!