“This could have been an excellent hotel, but...” 4 of 5 stars

Clarion Collection Bristol Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3341 South Bascom Ave, Campbell, CA 95008-7005   |
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Campbell
Tucson, Arizona
“This could have been an excellent hotel, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

This hotel is nicely located and priced well, especially for the area. The breakfasts offer a nice selection to please most palates. The room itself was quite large, but the bathroom was rather grubby and didn't feel like it had been thoroughly cleaned in quite some time. The carpet in the room was stained and equally dirty. The sheets on the beds, while appearing to be clean, were threadbare and so thin that they felt like they could be torn when one turned over during the night. Towels weren't much better. Room amenities were basic, but somewhat outdated (old tv, etc.). No view from the window (a wall about 4 feet away). Lobby and public areas had a very European feel with statues and art that reflected that. The room safe wouldn't lock.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise ask for a room towards the back of the hotel (away from Bascom).
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I'm in love with this hotel! Booked it sight-unseen based on so many positive recommendations. It's a small hotel, just two stories in a nondescript area. The hotel lobby is small and funky, with odd old reproductions of art and statues. We're thinking "whaaat?" Room 228 is HUGE. It could easily hold two king beds. The bathroom is all marble and again, huge. Also a nice closet with safe and a small refrigerator. Good sized desk, two phones and a comfortable sofa and chair. You would expect to pay lots more for a room like this. Again, the weird Renaissance artwork. My husband thought it was tacky, I thought it was charming. Excellent breakfast in the morning including eggs and bacon. My only complaint is the towels and sheets need upgrading.

Room Tip: We were in room 228, but the front desk said they are all the same.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Pros...
Great front-desk service with smile
Clean, large rooms
Gym has treadmill, bike, elliptical
WiFi is good

Cons...
Breakfast is limited, no fruits...closes at 9 AM (instead of 10 AM)
Gym has no towels, no TV, no water-fountain
Room has no coffeemaker, just instant coffee
Traffic noise from Bascom Ave can be an issue

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I was looking for an inexpensive small hotel, but one that was not in a risky neighborhood or one with rooms that are falling apart. The Bristol Hotel was a nice find for me. The value of what I got for the price was outstanding.

Pros
1. Located in a reasonably nice part of town. I felt safe in this area.
2. Parking was a breeze, and my car was always close to the entrance.
3. Staff was super nice.
4. The decor is nice. Maybe a touch on the cheesy side, but still nice.
5. I stayed in an "executive king" room and it was HUGE! I like some space, and this room had it.
6. The included breakfast was good, with both hot and cold food options.
7. The price was right for my budget.

Cons
1. My one big complaint was that I found my bed mattress to be very uncomfortable. No matter what part of the bed I moved to I woke feeling I was sunken into a hole. I don't know if the mattress was old or just way too soft for me, but this factor did reduce my sleep.

2. Though my room was huge in square footage, it didn't have furnishings to match. The desk was way over in one corner and the bed and TV were on the other end. Between them was basically a ton of empty space. I guess this is not really a "con" but more an observation.

3. The TV was an old CRT tube unit, and it did not offer the "sleep" function that I love to use in a hotel to help me fall asleep.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Marysville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Staff was helpful and polite, rooms were spacious and clean and the breakfast was good. Everything was delicious and hot. We even had some family that lived in the area come over and share it with us and no one said anything. The hotel was beautiful and I loved the high cealings, light fixtures, statuary and marble bathrooms. The parking lot was secluded and safe, unlike some of the other hotels in the area where I read they had regular break ins. We did not visit the work out room so I can't comment on that. The pillows on the couch were a bit stained, but all in all we had a nice stay while we were in town for the daughters wedding.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room that faced the street and it was a bit noisy.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mesa, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

As many have already said - the first impression is rather grand with the ornate decorations, large spaces, marble, statues, etc. I liked the dining room set up - very homey but we must have always arrived when the hot menu items were almost gone. My husband always hopes for a good workout room - poor. As others have said - some deep cleaning, attention to detail is needed by the housekeeping department. It would be nice to have a receptionist look up and greet you with a smile when you walk in. There were some stains in the carpet that detracted and the bed was very spongey. Not sure if I liked a fancy upholstery looking bedspread for hygienic reasons - I always turn those down because I can't trust if they would clean something as large as that after every stay. Overall, a very good value, close to the freeway, quiet and convenient.

Room Tip: Not applicable to the kids activities and swimming pool.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I thought I'd stepped into a time warp when I entered the lobby of this hotel -- chandeliers and copies of Roman statuary made me think I'd been transported back to the 50's. The clean, spacious room had a mini refrigerator, and the huge bathroom was tiled in real marble. Clearly, at the time this hotel was built these were signs of luxury. But the price was right, and the location was as well as I had business in Santa Cruz, Los Gatos and San Jose. For the price of what it would cost to stay in a Motel 6, I had this lovely room that reminded me of a simpler time long ago. Breakfast was good -- a full breakfast, not just the continental type you are given at one of the big chain hotels. One peeve -- they need to provide bigger bath towels. Mine was a little larger than a face cloth. For the location and price, this hotel is a great deal. If the over-the-top decor and smallish bath towels gets to you, better stay at a Motel 6.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor, and away from the carriage entrance -- you'll not be bothered by...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Clarion Collection Bristol Hotel? Share your experiences!