It's very nice being so close to the volcano area. Driving up to this area is a bit difficult since the roads are steep and rocky. So being closer so as only to have to make one trip is nice.
The grounds are kept up well with great views.
We got the "superior" room. Really nothing special about it other than being a little bigger than the rest. Normal cheap hotel room size.
Small bathroom with no caulking around windows, so lots of bugs and even a full sized lizard came in the first night. And a bee came in and stung me. We plugged it up with tp after we figured out where all the bugs came from. They didn't seem concerned when we told the front desk and bee sting.
The restaurant was fairly basic. Nothing wrong with it, but also nothing great to report. The free breakfast buffet had a nice variety.
We enjoyed walking around there on the nature trails. The websites we had looked at beforehand didn't make it very clear whether the trails were part of the hotel or not. Many actually are, but they dont give you good maps nor are they marked well. Even the big map in the lobby was confusing even after the front desk clerk tried to explain it. We saw a lot of lost and confused people on the property. Even just trying to find their rooms.
The thing I didn't like about the trails was that their horses also go on them. So lots and lots and lots of horse poop to try to avoid. Much of it smooshed into trail so it's nearly impossible to avoid. A monthly cleaning of the trails would be nice.
The volcano area is spectacular. You have to drive there though, but it's close.
It's like a little Yellowstone, but also has monkeys. Walk quietly to find them. They are super cute.
The hot springs area that you can get in for free with your hotel wristband is also nice. And more monkeys to be found there. The waterfalls are also fun to see and swim in. Also, not marked well.
We had a reservation for 3 in our room. Knowing that, it would have been nice if they would have given us more than 2 towels and 2 coffee cups. I realize we could have asked for more though.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hacienda Guachipelin is a comfortable hotel with 54 rooms, each with private bathroom and hot water. The best Costa Rican ecotourism lodge for adventure travel and nature lovers, located at the entrance of Rincon de la Vieja Volcano National Park. This is the most visited National Park in Guanacaste. For the adventurer, there are many activities like horseback riding, the Canyon canopy tour, Rio Negro Tubing, canyoneering, bird watching, as well as trekking to the crater of Rincon de la Vieja Volcano. Free transportation to the National Park and the hot springs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, Priceline, Despegar.com and Odigeo so you can book your Hacienda Guachipelin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hacienda Guachipelin Hotel Rincon De La Vieja
- Hacienda Guachipelin Costa Rica/Rincon De La Vieja