We stayed here for two nights during our trip to Costa Rica. I loved Hotel Borinquen and our positive experiences here were so great that they almost made me forget about the negative points. For that, I almost gave Hotel Borinquen a 5. I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend it.
First of all, this hotel is BEAUTIFUL! It is a little slice of paradise in the middle of nowhere in an already gorgeous country. My husband and I loved our room. It was beautifully decorated and was, by far, the nicest we stayed while in Costa Rica. The bed was so comfortable and I could not get enough of the porch with the most relaxing hammock. I wish I could have stayed in that hammock listening to the howler monkeys for a week!
We did a horseback ride that absolutely blew my mind. The hotel was so accommodating and arranged the ride for us right after we checked in in the afternoon. The hotel owns many miles/acres of land and the horseback ride through their property was incredible. The views in every direction were stunning. At one point, we tied the horses up and hiked down to a waterfall. We saw howler and white-faced monkeys at the waterfall. The white-faced monkeys followed us all the way back up to the horses. Then, as we were riding back to the hotel, we saw many toucans and parrots. We looked behind us and saw the most stunning views of the mountains and were able to get an incredible look at the large "Hidden Waterfall." When we got back to the hotel, the horses literally dropped us off right at our room. I cannot say enough about this experience. The horses were clearly very experienced trail horses who knew exactly where to go and what to do. It was actually my husband's first time riding a horse and even though there was a lot of steep uphill and downhill terrain, he and his horse did great due to the horse's tranquility and experience.
The mud pots, natural geothermic steam room, and thermal pools were awesome. I'm not much of a spa person, but we had a great time trying this out one night. It was just so cool to realize you were in a "sauna" over a volcanic vent!
There was only one restaurant on-site and the hotel is basically in the middle of nowhere. Obviously, this adds to the tranquility of the place, but it also gives the restaurant a monopoly. The food was alright and the prices were high. However, the views at breakfast are really nice and there were some beautiful birds who watched us eat in the mornings.
The one complaint we had about this hotel was not necessarily the hotel's fault, but more of an unfortunate circumstance. The entire reason we came to the Rincon de la Vieja area was to hike the Rincon de la Vieja volcano in the park. However, when we got to the hotel, we found out that the park entrance near the hotel had closed almost a month before because the road had washed out. This meant that we had the choice of booking a guided hike at the park through the hotel for $150 per person (!!!) or paying $160 (plus tip) for round trip transportation to the volcano. We ended up paying for the transportation and it took us 1.5 hours each way to get to the park. The park was great, although the trail to the crater was closed due to volcanic activity. Anywhere Costa Rica had helped us with our initial booking and they were very accommodating and understanding when I explained our disappointment with this situation. Just be aware that if you are traveling here to see the volcano, you will not actually be near an entrance to the park and it could be a significant additional expense to get there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hot Springs Spa at Borinquen Mountain Resort is your exclusive vacation spot located in Guanacaste in the North Pacific Region of Costa Rica.The Hotel was designed and created in 1999 with the sole purpose of unlocking the exceptional beauty of the Rincon de la Vieja countryside and bringing it to the world. When you visit Hotel Borinquen you are literally stepping into a world apart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Despegar.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Borinquen Mountain Rincon De La Vieja
- Resort Borinquen Mountain
- Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort Costa Rica/Rincon De La Vieja