“Big time family fun!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Buena Vista Lodge & Adventure

Buena Vista Lodge & Adventure
13 Kms East of the Catholic Church in Buena Vista de Canas Dulces, Liberia, Guanacaste., Rincon de La Vieja, Costa Rica
+506 2690 1414
Website
Improve this listing
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Buena Vista is a cattle raising Hacienda that changed part of its activity to dedicate itself to ecologic tourism in a rustic environment conserving the idiosyncrasy and culture of the zone. It is located 31kms from Liberia and it borders with the National Park Rincón de la Vieja. It has an area of approximately 2,000 acres, 1,400 of which are intended to regenerate the forest and where adventure activities take place, always protecting the environment. The remaining 600 acres are dedicated to cattle raising and the ranch produces the majority of the products that the Lodge consumes.
“Big time family fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We drove up from Playa Conchal in the morning and my wife, 10 yo son, and 6 yo daughter did the zip line and water slide. Absolutely amazing fun, great guides on the zip lines, we all loved it. Next time we'll spend the night.

Visited July 2014

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
“Fun for all ages!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We had a party of 8 ranging from age 8 through age 71. Everyone participated in all of the activities offered, including zip lining, water slide through the jungle, horseback riding, mud bath and hot springs. The lunch included is wonderful and yummy. We had a lot of fun laughing together!

Visited July 2014
New York City, New York
5 attraction reviews
“Overall Good, Was Fun, A Little Grungy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

My wife and I went here one day during our honeymoon and it was pretty good place and had a bunch to do. Zip-line, Hot springs, Mud Baths, Food, Water-slide. Overall was good but it was a little grungy. The mud baths weren't really baths and were more like rubbing mud on you and then washing it off. We had fun with it but wasn't what we expected. The hot springs were warm but felt like dirty water. We were in Tabacon so going from those beautiful springs to this place just wasn't the same. The Water-slide was fun and I went on it twice. In America it might get banned lol b/c it did feel like I was going to go right over the side but I guess it's safe since I'm still here to talk about it.

The worst part was waiting for this tractor to drive you from one part of the place to the other. We also made fun with this but it was kinda annoying to wait for this slow tractor to drive you around since you had to go over a river and through the woods to get from one part to the other. If you're a good sport and laid back this place might be good. If you enjoy the finer things of life, this place might not be it.

Visited January 2014
aocampo, Director of Sales at Buena Vista Lodge & Adventure, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Hello! First of all we thank you for your comments, as they help us to gradually improve what needs to be improved. We want to thank you for taking us as an option on your visit during your honeymoon.
Our hot springs are located in the middle of the tropical forest, where we did not altered or modified the existing flora on site and used simple rustic materials and tried to mitigate the impact caused to the environment. Here is only possible to hear the rivers that run under the pools in the forest. The hot springs are natural and crystalline; the water is not stored, and the pools are cleaned every day because no chemicals are used. We constantly run laboratory tests required by Costa Rica health authorities to analyze the composition of the hot springs.
Then we understand the difference between Tabacon, a resort; and Buena Vista Lodge, as we are a rustic lodge based and created from the beginning by our own love for the simple and organic, trying to be the best we can without altering our ecosystem and we stay at the edge of our rainforest allows us: these are all the details would likely change a bit your perspective from us.
Moreover, the hot springs can be reached by horseback riding, walking or by tractor; the tractor must go slowly in order to mitigate the environmental impact we cause to the forest and to avoid damage to wildlife around us. You may see many animals during the journey; deer, monkeys, coatis, agoutis, variety of birds, among many others, not to mention that some of our visitors have had the great opportunity to see pumas and jaguars even at daylight.
We are sorry to hear that you had to wait for our "Volanta Tractor". Every day we do our best to be at the right time, but thanks to your comments, we are more concerned and will take care of the waiting time for this ride.
We highly appreciate your comments. Remember that when you like, we are here to serve you and to provide the best of our charisma and Guanacastecan warm that characterizes us.
¡Hasta la próxima! ¡Pura Vida!
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
18 attraction reviews
“Buena Vista Combo Tour - Awesome Day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

The Buena Vista Tour was so great! We were staying at the Playa Flamingo, so we had to ride quite a ways to get there. We actually had a Turismo van come to pick us up early, and we got a ride into Liberia, where we waited and got on the actual bus for the tour. We had a guide, Jorge, who was an absolute joy. He spent the ride (about an hour and a half) telling us all kinds of things about Costa Rica; about plants, trees, the wildlife, the volcanoes, anything you can think of. He was very knowledgeable, extremely personable, and funny.

Once we arrived at Buena Vista, we started out with zip lining. We were in a small group, there were maybe about 10 of us. The zip lining is amazing. I wasn't nervous, and actually volunteered to go first off the first platform. You zip line over a huge ravine, several hundred feet above the trees. It's probably one of the most amazing things I've seen in my life. I think there were 10 platforms total, all of which were really fun! All of the zip line staff were really nice! I'm fortunate enough to know quite a bit of Spanish, so it was fun getting to gab with them in their native tongue.

After the zip lines, we went to the water slide. It's actually really cool, a cement water slide built into the side of the hill, that runs using natural water flow from the volcano. Be warned: this slide goes FAST. It was also surprisingly cold for the beginning of June. Going down the slide was fun at first, but I quickly realized that I was going pretty fast. I had water splashing up in my eyes, I couldn't really see anything, and at one point I was going up the sides of the slide, which was a little scary. One time was good enough for me! We dried off and walked over to a little open barn-type area where they have an urn that they use to make all kinds of snacks out of corn. You go over, get a plantain leaf, and they serve you these little snacks. They were all really really good!

We then got to go eat a traditional Costa Rican lunch, which did not disappoint. Beans and rice, a really good and meaty white fish (I wish I had asked what it was) with lots of veggies and fruits.

Next, we headed over to the barn where we got our horses to ride to the natural hot springs. The horseback ride itself probably took about 30 to 40 minutes through some rather hilly terrain. "Hilly" might be an understatement, as some of the grades were pretty steep. At one point, my horse did actually slip and began to fall, I hit a rock and got a little scratched up, but thankfully I didn't fall off, and the horse didn't fall all the way over. He was able to right himself and keep going. Needless to say, I was a little nervous for the rest of the ride.

My nerves disappeared once we arrived at the hot springs. We went to the sauna first to open our pores, then we went and had some of the warm mud. It was really relaxing and made my skin feel really great (though, the showers to was the mud off are VERY cold!) We then made our way down to the hot springs. The first pool is HOT, the second a little cooler, and the third was the coolest. I mostly stayed in the second pool. There is a bar with drinks available for purchase. We had a passionfruit cocktail that was very delicious!

We had some visitors while in the pools in the form of a family of howler monkeys. They were fun to watch, and I got to snap a few pictures of them (another word of warning, howler monkeys, if they feel that they are threatened, will throw feces...) At any rate, it was neat to see them.

All in all, the day was really fun. We learned a lot about Costa Rica, and we had a really great time. It is a full day, and we were exhausted by the time we got home. Would highly recommend!

Visited June 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
“Super Fun Day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

We drove to Rincon de la Vieja National Park in the morning, ( we were there when it opened) and hiked the rainforest, we did the Las Pailas trail by the Ranger Station. We went with our guide
Julio, who was Awesome ! the hike took us about 3 hrs, then Julio drove us to Buena Vista. I think the drive from the park to Buena Vista took around an hour. When we got there, Julio knew all of the staff ( I felt like we were with a rock star...lol) It was really nice to be in a private party, because we didn't have to wait to do anything, we got there around 11:00- 11:30 and started out doing the zipline. I was very nervous because I HATE hights, and wanted to get that over with. ( ziplining was on my bucket list lol) Julio even did part of the zipline with us, then he took pictures for us. I must say, the zipline was Awesome, you don't really know how high you are because you can't see the ground, just tree tops, I even did the last cable upside down. The zipline guys/ staff were wonderful, I felt very safe. After that we did the waterslide which I thought would be a breeze, I was not nervous at all, Well, let me tell you, it was an Extreme waterslide, at first I was really enjoying it, then I hit a bend, and was kind of going up on the sides of the walls of the slide, I actually felt a bit frightened because I felt like I was out of control, but over all it was fun, a "Thrill Ride" for sure. after that we ate a traditional Costa Rican lunch, which was very good. After lunch we went Horseback riding (in the rain ) it took around 30-40 mins to get to the" Nature Spa " there was a sauna, warm mud bath, and the pools, the first one was warm, it over flowed into pool #2 which was cooler, then pool #3 was the coolest.
there is a bar by the pools, and they make some excellent cocktails, prices are average around 6.00 a drink. I can't say enough about the staff and the place it self. It was a Super Fun Day.
If you want to go there with a guide, Julio's contact info. is jguadamuz22@yahoo.com

Visited May 2014