My husband, 8 year old son and I stayed at Blue River for 3 nights this January. First the positives: beautiful setting, awesome hot pools that change every day as far as the temperature is concerned. This was nice so my son could enjoy them all. The cold pool with the "rocket slide" is so fun for kids and adults alike. Very well engineered. The food was fine - we mostly ate the casados. One night I chose the special - mahi mahi, which was absolutely delicious and came with a glass of wine! No need to worry abut the cost of bottled water as their tap water is potable as in all of Costa Rica. And finally, having a frig in our room allowed us to bring our own beer and cheese and crackers to have an afternoon drink and snack from our relaxing porch. We loved the butterfly garden, the hummingbird garden and the entire botanical garden. The mud volcano bath and sauna were fun too. We loved our cabin and especially the gigantic bathroom and huge closet. Very nice. No, we never turned the air conditioning on as the cabin also had an effective ceiling fan. It rained every day we were there for a little bit either in the afternoon or evening and it was fun to listen to the rain crashing down on our roof.
Now for the negatives: when you arrive you don't see any of the beautiful resort, rather you arrive at the maintenance shop. The staff were friendly but it did not feel inviting when we first arrived. The beds in our cabin were nice but the sheets were horrible. They were thin and a yucky fabric. If you toss and turn even just a tiny bit the sheets will become untucked and you will find yourself sleeping directly on the mattress. This could be solved by a new bottom fitted sheet made of 100% cotton. We were sorry there was no place to hike from the resort. We were restricted to hiking up and down the access road. This was ok for one afternoon but would not have been for a multi day stay. We did not pay for the tours as we do not like zip lines, etc. Rather we prefer to do things on our own. We like bird watching and there are lots of beautiful birds to see at the resort if you walk around a bit with a pair of binoculars. Our second day we drove to the beach and had a lovely day at the Junquillal Wildlife Refuge beach and then returned in the late afternoon to enjoy the hot pools once again.
All in all this place in an engineering marvel from the hot tubs to the rocket slide to the beautiful botanical gardens. Whomever designed it gave it much forethought. They really only miss on two points: the cabins are duplexes and if your neighbor in the adjoining cabin is loud you will hear it. Also, the unimpressive entrance needs to be overlooked as once you get inside the resort proper it is beautiful. Staff were great and helpful.
- Also Known As:
- Blue River Resort & Hot Springs Hotel
- Blue River Resort & Hot Springs Hotel Rincon De La Vieja
- Blue River Resort And Hot Springs
- Blue River Resort & Hot Springs Costa Rica/Rincon De La Vieja
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blue River Resort and Hot Springs is an authentic Costa Rica experience in the rainforests of Rincon de la Vieja. Our jewel is the spectacular natural mineral "green" hot spring pools – but that’s just the beginning. There is a large fresh water pool & bullet slide, the spa, botanical gardens, butterfly farm, iguana and frog pond and much more. Set out on several authentic eco Costa Rica adventure tours, all nearby. Eco-tours include visits to gorgeous blue volcanic rivers and waterfalls by horseback, nature walks, volcano hike, zip-lining across waterfalls and much more. The breadth of eco-nature tours will amaze you. Blue River Resort & Hot Springs offers luxury accommodation in new, spacious 720 square foot cabanas. Book your dream Costa Rica vacation! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, Priceline, Hotels.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Blue River Resort & Hot Springs reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.