“Wonderful Adventure!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blue River Resort & Hot Springs

You added Blue River Resort & Hot Springs to your Saves list
Blue River Resort & Hot Springs
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   600 metros Oeste del puente del Rio Azul, Rincon de La Vieja, Costa Rica   |
Whitefish, Montana, United States
“Wonderful Adventure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I had the perfect combination of adventure and relaxation at Blue River Resort. We stayed for 3 nights which was perfect. Our room and bathroom was very large and everything looked new. The best part was the porch with rocking chairs and a hammock. I loved the botanical garden with Hummingbird area and butterfly house. We both got a massage, went horseback riding and whitewater tubing while. Tubing was my favorite and such a fun time. My smile was ear to ear the entire time!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
San Rafael de Heredia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Blue River resort for 3 nights in October, and are still talking about the wonderful time we had! The 1st thing I want to say, is that we have never been treated better anywhere! The personal service, courtesy, helpfulness etc, was incredible. The villas were very comfortable & we'll appointed. Seeing all the butterflies & hummingbirds are wonderful, the hot pools are great and of course, the "Blue River" incredible. It's a great place. Laura

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Centerville, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I spent five days and four nights at Blue River Resort and Hot Springs. The trip was truly amazing. The cabanas were overly spacious and very clean. Each cabana has two queen size beds (which were very comfortable), a desk, a miniature refrigerator, a large flat screen television with cable, a large closet and a separate bathroom where the shower could easily accommodate four to six people. Each cabana has a covered front porch with two rocking chairs and a hammock. The property is very well maintained and the staff is extremely attentive and exceptional with their kindness. The food was excellent and of great variety. The property has five pools total, four hot springs and one cold. The cold pool and three of the hot springs were open during our stay. Unfortunately the slide to the cold pool was closed. My husband and I did the zip line and tubing tours and had a fantastic time. The only suggestion I have is for travelers who use their own transportation. Make sure you have/or get an SUV because the 20km drive on gravel roads can be treacherous and very difficult to navigate in a regular car. Also, be aware that cellular reception is non-exisistant at the hotel if you are from the US and WIFI is only available in the restaurant or front office. I honestly can not say enough good things about this place and the service I received. Thank you Blue River staff! You definitely understand hospitality and get an A+ in my book!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I spent four nights at the Blue River Resort and Hot Spring after spending nights on the Pacific Coast. It was the perfect escape from the large resort and craziness of an all-inclusive. I much prefer smaller properties with personal attention. There are some people who prefer the non-stop food and frozen drinks. So I think that you need to be aware of your travel preference. I like to relax and read a book, have a few beers at the pool and not check email except when necessary. It is an eco-friendly resort which was also so refreshing. I have never thought that travel was all about excess (hence, I don't care for places like Las Vegas). Again, this is a personal preference. I don;t mind getting up and getting my own beer from the bar rather than a cocktail waitress bringing them to me in buckets.

The cabins are rather large - 2 queen beds, mini frig, a walk in closet, a huge shower. The front porch has two rocking chairs and a hammock, perfect for relaxing and listening to evening rain.

Breakfast was included with the room price. The choices are american breakfast (eggs, ham or bacon and toast) or traditional Costa Rican breakfast (sweet plantains, eggs, rice and beans, and cheese). Each starts with a plate of delicious fresh fruit. It goes without saying, but of course there is the Costa Rican coffee! I alternated between the two, though prefered the Costa Rican. We were so well cared for at the restaurant. The breakfasts were large enough to not even need lunch, besides the occassional shared plate of nachos. We thoroughly enjoyed dinner - the fish casado is wonderful and the portion is very large. The Devil Chicken is wonderful if you want something with a kick. Again, we were treated so kindly at the restaurant.

I enjoyed a hot stone massage and facial at the spa. It was very relaxing. The gym facilities are very nice - all windows looking out to the grounds. I went for a run outside of the property. The hills are challenging. But the scenery is breathtaking. We went horseback riding and hiked the base of the Rincon volcano. This was a challenging hike. I enjoyed it immensely, but most of my friends would not have been able to complete the hike. Be sure you have proper shoes because you will be climbing. But it was so worth it to see the waterfalls!

The afternoons were spent by the pools and wandering the grounds. The mud bath left my skin so smooth. Some mornings we played with Echo, the super friendly dog who resides at BRR&HS. He even went with us on the hike. The Blue River is just a few feet away from the property. Take the walk down and just relax and take it in. There is some kind of imcredible flower that perfumes the air as you climb down.

I went with a friend but I cannot wait to come back with my husband to the BRR&HS. Everything about BRR&HS reminds you that there is so much beauty in the natural world.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Quite the drive from the airport. When you finally arrive one would definitely wonder is this what my money has paid for. Please look past the decor of the entry gate and reception desk/office. Just take the ride around the corner (past the sports equipment, workers' lodging and past the soon to be ridden horses, to the many villas with welcome hammocks on every veranda. The beauty of costa rica's fauna is a site for any eye. The vibrant colors is sure to shine through any rainforest shower or cloud cast.
The villas are wide and spacious, albeit very dark in decor and bedding. The showers are large enough fit a family of 8, although their is only one shower head. (I will say, I wish they had a shower string for hanging our bath suits.) There is an in-room safe, be aware it can be lifted and carried out of the room, however, I do believe there should be any concern of theft. The beds are comfortable and provide great rest. Rooms have A/C and fan. There is a major ant issue. So do not leave out any opened food. Cable on tvs. WiFi is a WASTE of time, unless you're in the main office which is as small as a desk and 2 chairs, consider it absent.
The spa massage was divine. The massage therapist does wonders despite the simple decor of the room. Toiletries and volcano clay for sale.
Dining room is open air. Food options VERY limited, especially for vegetarians. Meals not included and overpriced for lack of flavor and/or variety.
Hot springs were nice and hot. One was closed but there are many on the compound. The winding water slide was enjoyable. The clay cabana was an interesting experience. Disregard the clay stench which dissipates after it drys.
Butterfly garden, hummingbird sanctuary and floral garden was a wonderful taste of nature.
Sports excursions- very fairly priced! Horseback riding into the neighborhood, past the tilapia farm; water tubing (only when water is high from rains), and yes, zip lining (even better, longer, higher lines than Banning Mills in Georgia, USA). They also have various tours, including walks for the base of the volcano.
All in all the place was an absolute pleasure. I would recommend to everyone.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We had an amazing time at Blue River! The breakfast each morning was the perfect way to start the day (I loved the queso fresco) and the service was top-notch. The cabanas were huge and we felt right at home lounging on the hammocks on the front porch. Our trip (September 2013) was in the off season so we had the whole resort pretty much to ourselves. The excursions (horseback riding and tubing) were fantastic and the guides really made sure we were having a blast. Our tubing guide even took pictures and videos throughout our excursion. As expected, the food was quite pricey by local standards, but average by American standards. The quality and the portions, though, were fantastic. The fish was our favorite and tasted extremely fresh. The fruit was very fresh as well with some (all?) of it coming from the actual property. The ONLY bit of stress the entire trip was getting to the resort from Liberia. Determined not to pay $100 for a shuttle ride, we hired a taxi who was unsure the location and was wary of the road and the distance; we arrived only after a bit of negotiating. The road from Liberia is long and bumpy and probably not recommended without 4-wheel drive. I would highly recommend Blue River to anyone coming through this part of the country and would recommend at least 3 or 4 nights to unwind (and to justify the journey up the mountain). Very pleased!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Alajuela, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I live in Costa Rica, and have visited many interesting places, but I must say Blue River was a nice SURPRISE. It is different, Many folks might be put off by the trip into the interior from the main highway but the vistas were absolutely great. You won't get lost..the way is marked well.

Mow for the best part, when you arrive as get a glimpse of the river as you cross the bridge...WoW! you will be greeted by the host and will feel right at home..I like the cabinas, the put us in #10 since I can not walk a lot , no problem getting all over the property. was easy. The hot pools were a great pleasure for me, The Spa was gorgeous and the Staff friendly and very helpful and not intrusive. The three night s that we stayed the resort was full but it felt like you were alone in a tropical garden. Birds every where, flowers galore, Hot springs waters are filled with natural minerals ...aahhha! I hated to leave, It was just what i needed. I felt so relaxed, We will be going back again... Like a pleasant adventure a little different try it... If you want disco don't go. Blue River Resort and Hot Springs spells tranquility and relaxation in the true Costa Rica...

Room Tip: If you are physically impaired, # 10 is very large and easy to get to everything. The whole Resort...