“Paradise found!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blue River Resort & Hot Springs

You added Blue River Resort & Hot Springs to your Saves list
Blue River Resort & Hot Springs
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   600 metros Oeste del puente del Rio Azul, Rincon de La Vieja, Costa Rica   |
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Paradise found!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

After hearing of the inception of this resort 5 years ago and seeing the progress on their website over the years, I can only say how amazed we were once we arrived at the property

I can say that the ride to the resort on the last 20 km of gravel road was an adventure in itself as you did have to drive slow but it gave you the chance to see the natural beauty of the land along with all of it's wildlife.

Upon reaching the resort we were greeted by a very friendly and accommodating staff that what seemed went out of their way in making sure we were comfortable and happy but after talking with other guests, everyone seems to have gotten this same great service,

The cabins are unbelievable in size and comfort. There is no telephone to call for any thing you might want from the office or restaurant but the cabins are so close it wasn't inconvenient at all to walk. If walking isn't for you then the resort isn't either. There are so many well maintained walkways and paths to the natural gardens and springs that walking is a major part of this resort and something you will want to do. Even at night the pathways are nicely lit to make it comfortable.

While we were there for our short 2 day stay, unfortunately the cloud coverage didn't give us the chance to see the volcano but the pictures we saw of what it looks like on a clear day makes me want to go back.

The staff were exceptional. Always trying to make sure you were happy. The food I found was very reasonable for Costa Rican standards and had actually thought they would be higher considering the location of the resort and the fact you are captive to what they offer. The quality of everything we sampled was fantastic.

in closing I highly recommend this resort and will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Fargo, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We spend a week beach side and then drove up to Blue River Resort for the final weekend of our stay. Was very relaxing and the staff was excellent. Room was conveniently located and very spacious. Only problem was the sheets didn't stay on the bed overnight. Really enjoyed the flowers, butterflies and hummingbirds.

Room Tip: Drive from Liberia is slow and rough.
Rosemount, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Just came back last night from Costa Rica last night. Blue River was a perfect end to a great vacation. Our group of 6 adults enjoyed our massages, all the pools, mud bath and natural sauna and a Canapy Zip Line tour.
Pros: Awesome staff thanks Edwardo and Eric. The Pizza was great.
Cons: Bedding doesn't fit. Food was a bit expensive for what you get.

Room Tip: Get a 4 wheel drive vehicle.
Leominster, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This resort has wonderful customer serveice from the entire staff. From the front desk to the owner to the employees you meet walking down the path to your cabana, everyone is friendly and very informed.
If you want to relax and pamper yourself this is a great choice BUT there are also tours you can take part in. I was with a group of 11 rotarians for 2 days of R & R after a work project in Nicoya.
We went horseback riding with a hike through the rainforest - fabulous! after a break for lunch we experienced the 9 zip lines through the rainforest and over the waterfalls. The guides were so helpful and very well trained and patient with all of us.
The resort is only a year old and has many plans for expansion. I believe it will only get better judging from the owners passion.

Rochester NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Bring your rain gear as you are in the rainforest. The rooms are large and homeywith a wonderful porch. I loved sitting on the porch to read and watch the world go by. My husband enjoyed napping in the hammock.
We spent time in several of the hotsprings, walked in the arboretum, which had a good variety of trees and shrubs, loved the butterfly hutch! The mud bath was even fun.
I thought the food in the restaurant was very good (no, it is not 4 star, but good) and breakfast has a good variety.
We did do the horseback ride and it was fun and reasonably priced. The horses also seemed well cared for and well behaved.
My only complaint was it rained almost the whole time we were there so we did everything in the rain however, it is the rainforest so what did I expect.
It was a very relaxing 3 days.
It was a nice blend of families and couples, young to old, staying during out visit.
The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

To my delight, the room was incredibly spacious. We had a balcony, hammock and a great view of the volcano.
My kids loved hanging out at the pools - yes there are about 5 of them. They really liked the bullet water slide.
Great tours. We LOVED the river rafting tour, and had a lovely and very responsible babysitter for our younger kids. We all went horseback riding together to the Blue River and even tried ziplining. Although I was nervous at first about the tours with young kids, the guides were super safety conscious and made even me feel at ease. Plus they knew so much about nature, that my kids learned a ton.
My daughter especially loved the butterfly garden in the morning and was fascinated by the frog breeding centre.
We had great food experiences. My husband loved the chimichanga steak (as did my boys) and I loved the tilapia which was freshly caught each day. My kids feasted on burgers, chicken nuggets, pizza, etc... thank goodness there was a big selection of kid foods since mine are horrible eaters. So - we were all happy.
All in all - wonderful memories and a great family vacation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I just returned from a two night stay at this resort. The rooms, bathroom and closet are very large and clean. It also had a desk, mini fridge and coffee maker. The five pools were wonderful, one warmer than the next, all very relaxing. The restaurant on site had the best service anyone could ask for. They found a gem in our server Edwardo. I didn't have a chance to take in the spa services but others in our group did and enjoyed the massage. We all (11 of us) went horseback riding with a wonderful guide, very knowledgable. The tour was much longer than expected, but the hike in the rainforest was breath taking. The river really is blue! The zip lining was great if you can get past your fear( I barely did) But Eric and crew made me more comfortable. They were very professional and kind. They don't tell you ahead of time that there are 9 zips and once you start you have to go to the fourth to touch the ground. Price for zipping and horseback riding were very inexpensive, I would highly recommend. Great job all around. The only recommendations I would have would be that they need a gift shop! Sell tshirts, post cards and small trickets. I would have bought many, since souvenirs are no where to be found in the whole country!! Only at the airport, which is a total rip off (understatement!) I highly recommend the Blue River Resort! Don't forget your raincoat and an umbrella!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Blue River Resort & Hot Springs? Share your experiences!