“Best place in the area for the money” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cameron Park
HIghland Park, IL
“Best place in the area for the money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

This motel has a number of positive features: It has a beautiful pool area, a good continental breakfast, nice staff, clean rooms, and it's well-located. The pool has attractive potted plants in a lounging area around it. It is nicely lit up at night. The breakfast is in a small room, but it's quite inviting, with a door open to the outside in warm weather. The breakfast area attendant was very helpful by bringing in extra seating as needed, and even offered us freshly boiled eggs one morning. The rooms are very clean and attractive. The bed is comfortable. The bathroom has a discrete little window which opens to the outside for fresh air instead of a rattling fan.

To be honest, there are a couple of negative features: our air conditioner did not work well. We had to turn it down to 64 degrees to get the room to 74 degrees. Cameron Park is so hot in the summer ( in the 90's and 100's) that decent air conditioning is absolutely essential. Hopefully the manager will have the unit in our room ( 231) fixed soon. The other criticism would be that the railings need to be painted. The strong sun is hard on the paint.

All in all this is a nice place, especially for the money. You could pay a lot more for the Best Western in Placerville or stay in a really nasty place near the Quality Inn, so this is the best value for the money in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Northern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

Was on a business trip in that area so I thought I would try this hotel. Never stayed at a Quality Inn so I thought I would give it a shot. Arrived early evening and the location was excellent. Right off the freeway. There is more than enough places to eat at or grocery shop and to get gas as well. Hotel has a McDonalds directly across the street if you are a McDonalds fan. Check in was quick and easy and the gal at the front desk was nice enough. Went to my room and was able to park right in front of it so it made unloading nice and easy. Room was spacious enough, but this room needed some TLC as some of the walls were in bad shape. The bed was on the softer side which I like so that worked well for me. Each bed had 4 pillows on them. The Heater worked fine and wasn't noisy at all. Internet was free and was nice and speedy. What was bad was the shower. Water pressure was horrible so that is a no no for me and the shower head was very low. The other bad thing was the TV's. They were flat screen TV's but the picture on all channels were horrible, just horrible. Lucky for me, I came in late and left very early so I didn't have much time to watch the tv. Overall, I wouldn't stay here again myself, as I like a decent shower and I like my TV watchable and this was just a failure in both of these. I felt safe however and it served it's purpose which was to get some rest. Oh, check out was fine and I didn't eat the breakfast so I cannot comment other than to say just a hand full of people would be able to fit in the breakfast room.

Room Tip: Pick a downstairs room and hope you can park in front of your hotel room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Heading home along the 50 hwy. Have had so many good experiences with Quality Inns, decided to give this one a try after a long tiring drive. Was not disappointed Good internet clean clean clean nice bed. walking distance to variety of food fast and sitdown.

Room Tip: if possible - rooms away from the freeway, but if not, still a good value
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

The room was spacious and clean - no complaints there. The problem was someone above me was up all night long - loudly pacing the floor and I did not get a minute of sleep... The bed and pillows were great and I was so disappointed that this person left me with a sleepless night. They ruined my visit. I went to the room where they serve breakfast and that was extremely disappointing. The room was the size of a walk-in closet and the selection of food was extremely limited. You could barely walk through the room as the chairs and tables were in the way as well as other guests eating. There was no hot water for tea just coffee and a few pastries and that's about it and I was there at 7am. At the end of the room was the laundry facilities which was open to the dining area and people were walking through with dirty laundry as we sat there. I just got up and left without anything to eat. I've been at many motels that offer a complimentary breakfast but this was the worse ever. I'm sorry my review isn't a better one, the hotel over all was okay just my experience there was not.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Older motel, central location just off the freeway ramp, near shopping. Friendly staff. Room had MW, small fridge, TV, desk, table, and 2 beds. Window AC/heater was noisy. Large bath area, with full bath tub. Room and bath were clean. Bed was comfortable . Free continental style breakfast.

Room Tip: Its a 2 story motel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Sacto area
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Very good place and stay except for unheated pool (though early Sept.) and clock radio/alarm that kicks on at 5:55 a.m.(!) and cannot be reset. Even unplugged, that setting remained, leading to conclusion it is built in to get those doggone guests out of there early. Bad, regardless. The guy clerk next a.m. wanted to argue about it. Not p.r. savvy, at best.

But overall the area and hotel are just fine. Across the local road are restaurants (the Kobe Surf & Turf gave us purely the best fish & chips meal we've ever had; also a large draft beer was possible because we could walk "home"; and why would the place be closed on Sundays, when checked last weekend!), beginning with a McDonalds, ending with a Denny's a block away, and some small locals in between. Not sure about the little Mexican place by Kobe, as I got queasy (but not my lady friend) from something, perhaps the chip dip, at one that locals said they love and have used for years, so I'll not name it. Stick with Kobe--and use the back room, if possible, which has a great atmosphere much nicer than the sparse, large main room. Much nicer. Much. Cooler too. Fans too. Very good, and we'll return.

The hotel's small exercise room was under construction--overhead lights--but should be fixed by now. However, the pool will not be heated. The hot tub/spa was just right and we enjoyed it.
Oh--the TV. It had the cheap-motel programming with the godawful roll-through-the-stations mode of finding what's on. A cycle takes about the length of a program--so then you start over! But the excellent check-in girl said "We haven't upgraded all rooms YET," so what could possibly go wrong....

The light breakfast was fine--waffles, coffee, juices and hardboiled eggs, and the attendant was great--and interesting to talk to.

A bargain rate made up for much, but that d___d tv.....and the 5:55 alarm are hard to forget. Those two items might keep us from another stay. Not sure about that yet, as much of the rest of our stay was fine and good.

Room Tip: Freeway is several hundred feet across the courtyard. Presumably you'll want to be away from it...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Port Angeles, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We visit family in the area, and this hotel is probably the best that's logistically available for us. But it's not a great place to stay. It's adequate ... clean enough, but not necessarily "sparkly". The breakfast is nauseating (in fact, we couldn't face it this trip, so we opted to pay for a 'real' breakfast elsewhere). The location is convenient. Everything about this hotel is "dated" -- the drapes were sun-rotted and gross. The linens are cheap and cheesy. Then again, I guess you get what you pay for ... the price is good, but expect "sacrifices."

Room Tip: Be careful not to get a room that backs up to the highway.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!