“Salad Bar is a Meal” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
El Dorado Hills, California
“Salad Bar is a Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Sizzler is a favorite standby. Good food served quickly. The salad bar is always kept fresh and with the hot food offerings and dessert, it is a meal unto itself. Service is usually good and the manager always checks on you.

Visited June 2014

Shingle Springs, California, United States
“GREAT FOOD GREAT PEOPLE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This place was clean the food was very good and the staff was awesome! Very nice clean and fun place to eat. I will def. go there again and recommend it to others

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Second Time Around, Much Better Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Another return trip, this time a winner. On my previous visit, a dog had been brought into the restaurant and had caused me to have an allergic reaction. The staff, especially the manager, were deaf and blind to my very apparent suffering, and I left, without having enjoyed my meal. After a complaint was filed, more than once, as corporate never did respond, I was offered a refund for my visit as well as a gift certificate for a future stopover. That was back in November of 2013, and I have been so busy since, this was my first opportunity to revisit this property. I dropped corporate management an email note, saying I would be in the area and would like to have lunch. Mr. Downs, the regional manager, replied and said he would be there that day, and to ask for him.

I arrived about 12:45 pm and the place was hopping. I asked for Mr. Downs and he and I spoke about my previous time there and how I really enjoyed this brand and wished what had occurred had not. He assisted me in a wonderful selection for lunch, graciously eschewing the certificate and taking the order personally. His suggestion led me to enjoy an 8-ounce boneless steak with 6 large fried shrimp, rice pilaf, unlimited salad bar and dessert. Except for the beef being a tad undercooked, all was very appetizing, delicious and well-presented. Service was solicitous but my server never saw either my empty beverage glass not the cup on the floor. More attention needs to be paid to details. Mr. Downs, however, came by to check on my progress, and it was all good.

While I shun most buffets, ethnic and otherwise, as I feel they water down the dining experience, I do enjoy Sizzler, very much. The salad bar offerings are always more than enough to sate any appetite, the food is fresh and nicely arranged. I shall return to Sizzlers, including this one when I am nearby, and hope that my future dining experiences are more in line with this one that last year’s.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Very pleasantly suprised ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

We both got the sirloin which was just average...but the Salad/Hot Bar is the real treat...Broccoli Cheddar soup was the best I've ever had not to mention the hot wings and taco bar...the salad had a wide variety of fixings plus amazing broccoli slaw...I may never be thru here again but if you're reading this give it a try...hopefully you'll get Tiffany as a waitress who was a ray of sunshine!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Doggone It!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

I did not have the opportunity to eat here. I had one plate of food from the seemingly well-stocked hot bar and then disaster struck. I was minding my own business, eating alone, having PAID for my meal, when an elderly couple walked in, with the wife holding a dog! This was neither a service animal nor particularly small. She passed by my table, and was seated directly behind me. My allergies started up full force. I walked to the counter, in obvious nasal distress and the manager offered to move them, but it did me no good. This was AFTER he asked me to move to another table. I was unaware of CA law, allowing non-service dogs into public eateries. I asked the manager for the name and number of the regional manager. Mr. Ditler, the store manager, handed me a store business card on which he had written, on the reverse, a first name only - Hector - and a phone number. Never once did Mr. Ditler apologize or proffer a refund, at the very least.

I called Hector about 15 minutes after exiting the restaurant. That was on a Monday, at approximately 12:15 pm. I finally heard back from him on Thursday. In the meantime, I sent in a complaint via the Sizzler website and never heard back from them, at all. When Hector finally did deign to return my call, he explained, apologetically, about a switch in phone systems, etc. Whatever the case may... please! I said I wanted a refund, nothing more. And perhaps an explanation as to why 1). Dogs are allowed into restaurants and, 2). Why the manager, Mr. Ditler, was so... unaware? Dispassionate? Out of touch?

Hector explained about CA law and animals, service and otherwise. Fine. But why seat a patron with an animal right in the midst of a busy serving area? Why not place them in a corner, where, hopefully, no one will trip over the animal. Or have to smell it altogether? He said I was correct, and offered me a comp. I said no, just a refund. He asked to buy me lunch and "we could talk." About what, I have no clue.

I said we could meet the next day, at the same eatery. I arrived early and waited. Hector arrived on time and all was cordial. However, it was up to me to again ask for my refund, which he dutifully retrieved, $10 and change. I then told him that my stomach was not in good shape, my having taken an antihistamine before coming and yes, I would take him up on his offer for a comp. Again, he complied. But now, since we were not eating, schmoozing and trying to forget about unpleasantries, he was suddenly in a hurry to leave for another store. I sensed this and bade him farewell.

Upon returning to my office, I noticed that the gift certificate he handed me was good only in the Los Angeles region. I had my assistant email Hector, asking about this. He said no, the printing was wrong, it was good only at this location, a place I do not plan on visiting again. So, we'll see just where I get to 'enjoy' an animal free meal.

A note about the peripheries. Alora, the front counter cashier/hostess, is very nice and accommodating. Both the hot and cold/salad bars seemed well-stocked and fresh, although who can tell, as I sampled nearly nothing. One complaint: Hot Sauce needs to be requested from the back. Condiments are not on the tables.

• Visited November 2013