“Excellence in Cameron Park” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Californian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
California
“Excellence in Cameron Park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We've eaten at ZacJack Bistro a number of times and for breakfast, lunch and dinner and with only one minor hiccup, the food has been excellent every time. This is a real find and it's pretty amazing to find such quality in little Cameron Park. The service is always relaxed yet good and the wait staff seem to appear at just the right times, without hovering. The food is elegant and beautifully prepared and seasoned. Our most recent visit was for Easter dinner and we had the lamb and prime rib. We couldn't decide which was better…they were both perfect. This little bistro is a true find and our only hesitation in giving it the highest recommendation is that we hope it doesn't become overcrowded or too pricey. AND…a little tip: Tuesday evenings they have beautiful live jazz with a trio that could perform anywhere and be well received. This place is a true oasis of excellence in an otherwise pretty lackluster area.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Great fresh food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I have been to Zac Jack Bistro many times. Have had Breakfast, lunch and dinner. All great.. Reasonably priced....So few places to go in Cameron Park. In the Applebees shopping center, but so much better. Food is really fresh and expertly prepared.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
rescue
“Local gourmet bistro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Zackjack has both small plates,pizzas wonderful croques and specials.We had most recently the special a seared ahi on a bed of slaw with tempura type asparagus.It was great.They don't serve huge portions just great food.Desserts are awesome .I had chocolate cake ,wonderful,so rich

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Folsom, California
“Gourmet Duck”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

This the second trip to ZacJack in recent weeks. I am very impressed with the quality and presentation of the food. With another couple, we enjoyed some of the finest breast of duck with a cherry glaze, I have had in many years. My wife and friend had the duck confit also very good. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone traveling up Hwy 50 to or from Lake Tahoe, you won't be disappointed or broke by the bill.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Coos Bay, Oregon
“A great deal; don't pass it up.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

First, an admission: I detest the way review sites like TripAdvisor enable cranks and snobs and narcissists and know-it-alls to heap anonymous slander on conscientious restaurants. No food establishment is perfect, but as long as it does a serious job, I will not give it less than 5 stars, and save my criticism for the end.
Five of us had dinner for five at ZacJack’s bistro in Cameron Park, just off Highway 50 west of Placerville. Its theme is an inventive mix of French and Californian. But their food presentations are not prissy-fussy as in nouvelle cuisine, which is fine with me.
One of us, a very elderly lady, had the stuffed artichoke which she greatly liked, and took half of it home. Another had the chicken cordon bleu, her husband a fancy Kobe-beef burger, my wife the trout almandine, and I decided on that night’s special, the ahi tuna, cooked rare. Oh, my wife and I also split their spinach salad, which was wonderful, not overcooked but barely tossed, with candied walnuts, julienned, marinated apple, sautéed mushrooms and red onions, and a sweet balsamic-bacon-dressing. All of us loved our food. Unlike much farm-bred trout, my wife’s trout was firm-fleshed, and came with home-made sweet potato fries and very fresh green beans. I also loved their prices, since I was paying the bill. They have hardly anything over $20. All told I spent about $160 including drinks, a dessert and the tip. A good deal; don’t pass it up.
Now, for the criticism (which not everyone may agree with; that’s why I get so annoyed at restaurant reviewers who think the entire world should conform to their tastes): 1. The waitress could have asked if I wanted a second glass of wine, but I let it go; 2. Somebody forgot about the side of fries I had ordered, and when they finally came they were limp, not crisp like the others; 3. During all the time we were there we were forced to listen to a wailing banshee by the name of Underwood, who should have stuck to making typewriters. Apparently they were playing one CD that repeated endlessly. When I finally made my unhappiness known I was told the music was the department of somebody not present that evening. Seems a poor excuse to me, but I’m not privy to the internal management structure.

• Visited January 2014