“We Love Cambria Pines Lodge!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Cambria
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fullerton
“We Love Cambria Pines Lodge!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2008

Everything about Cambria Pines Lodge is amazing! When my wife and I arrived, there was some construction going on, as they were adding and fixing rooms on the property. There is a certain room that we always request because of it's amazing view, and wouldn't you know... It's under construction! So, the desk clerk apologized and asked me if I was willing to upgrade at no extra charge. Uh... Yeah? I mean, why would I not? The room was beautiful and it made our stay even better.
On top of that, where else can you go and they throw in dinner for two at their restaurant, a complimentary bottle of their house wine, which is from Castoro Cellars, a local Paso Robles winery (Very Good). And, to top that of, they throw in a breakfast buffet every morning! And the price? All for under $120.00 a night. Now of course you have to go mid week in order to get that deal, but why not? It's much more quiet, and less crowded. We can't wait to go back!

• Liked — The size, cleanliness, and dcor of our room.
  • Disliked — Maybe just the fact that I didn't get the view I wanted.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
SoCal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

We stayed at the Cambria Pines Inn for my Valentine-Birthday celebration recently. To book, I responded to an email of 'specials.' we had a huge, new suite for $79! I was worried bacause of the negative reivews I had read of the Inn, but thought that the bargain would make up for any problems.

There were no problems: everything was very well run, and the front desk service was polite and profesional. There was free high speed internet access (makes up a little for there being NO cell phone service in the town of Cambria!), and a full breakfast was included in the cost. My husband ate the breakfast one day and pronounced it 'too greasy and heavy,' but it looked good, and most guests appeared to chow down with enthusiasm.

In all, it was an excellent trip: the suite was NEW and beautifully apointed (except for a lumpy couch in the living room), and I would recommend this resort to anyone. Note: do get on the mailing list for Moonstone Hotels to get the best deals.

• Liked — big suite, free internet
  • Disliked — lumpy couch in living room
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
santa barbara ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2008

My husband and I began staying at this hotel about ten years ago,we stay three or four times a year and since having children have found that their suites were great for the family, the food at the restraunt is so so but eating in the lounge with the live music was great how many places can you take children to eat and enjoy live music on the centeral coast. Well I guess the answer is none because on this trip after ordering dinner and it arriving at 9:00 we were told we must leave even though our food had just arrived the oh so kind (new?) restraunt manger informed us that children are no longer allowed in the lounge after 9:00 so we could box our food and leave. This did not make sense to me we always have eaten around nine and watched the music until about 10:00. So I questioned her as to why we needed to leave she went on to inform me not only was it not appropriate to have children in a (bar) but what kind of parent feeds their children after 9:00..The kind on vacation? Needless to say that was our last stay we left the next morning even though we had booked the room for three nights.

• Liked — the gardens
  • Disliked — the rude staff and new policies
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ParadiseInThePines, Assistant General Manager at Cambria Pines Lodge, responded to this review, February 26, 2008
It's great to read that this family has enjoyed staying at Cambria Pines Lodge three or four times a year for 10 years. It's a shame that one experience in our lounge has altered those good memories. It has been standard operating procedure at the Lodge for some time that we allow only guests over 21 years of age in the Fireside Lounge after 9pm. Of course, if a table with children is served food just before 9pm, we allow them time to eat before asking them to honor this rule. In fact, this family was served their appetizers a little before 9pm and was asked to finish up about 9:40pm. I deeply regret that this incident caused "ColleteMarie04" to become angry. We appreciate that most of our visitors trust us to act on behalf of the wellbeing of our guests.
Walla Walla, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2008

We booked this hotel because we thought it would be "peaceful". It was anything but. We got to our room which felt like and sounded like a mobile home (echos when you walk) and they were doing construction on the building that they put us in. There was this constant loud banging and shaking from the time we checked in (about 1pm) until 4pm. At that point, and after numerous calls to the front desk (who promised it would stop "any minute"), we decided we were leaving. The room was also dirty (walls and carpets need a good scrubbing) and unbearably cold. The little old wall heater wasn't any help. This place was a dump. We were lucky to find a great bed and breakfast in town that had an opening for the same night-- thank god.

• Liked — There was a fat cat in the lobby, everyone seemed to be delighted by that.
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, customer service, noise, quality of accommodations.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
At Cambria Pines Lodge, we have two goals: Treating our guests as we would want to be treated, and making our property better every day. To achieve the second goal, we occasionally have to undertake construction, which can cause some noise during and between check-out (11am) and check-in (3pm) times. We accommodated these guests by allowing them to check in at 1pm. Unfortunately, this early check-in meant that, instead of their being exposed to construction noise for only about an hour, they listened to three hours of noise before giving up and leaving. The room they stayed in was one of our older rooms, which will be remodeled soon. Reviews by other guests amply demonstrate that Cambria Pines Lodge is a beautiful property with many different room types, one of which is sure to please almost any discerning traveler. We hope these guests will reconsider and give us another try.
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2008

I admit, I hesitated booking with Cambria Pines Lodge and started looking into other options in the area. However, I am glad I stuck with my reservation (for a really great rate - $59/night) and journeyed down to Cambria for an overnighter.

The grounds are very well kept, with ample parking and beautiful gardens. I appreciated the morning buffet breakfast - it was crowded, but the lines moved quickly and courteously.

Our room was in a small two-story building opposite the main lodge. I liked the complimentary Duraflame log in the fireplace. We received a phone call requesting us to turn down our television - the walls are obviously thin for such a complaint to be lodged! Also, if you are a light sleeper, I'd suggest requesting an upstairs room to avoid hearing people trample on the ceiling.

A very good bargain for the area! I booked a wonderful meal at Robin's for dinner... outside is much better than inside. I would definitely stay at the hotel again if I were passing by. I've already recommended the Lodge to my parents for their upcoming trip north to see the elephant seals.

• Liked — buffet breakfast, garden maze, ample parking
  • Disliked — thin room walls, temperature control
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Signal Hill, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2008

My Wife and I travel to Cambria 4 to 5 times a year for the past eight years or so. We for the most part, stay at the Cambria Pines Lodge. We now have a dog and like to take him with us. They do have some pet friendly rooms. The older large suites. Dogs are also welcome on the patio for dinner by the fireplace. Good food.

We have had a couple of times when we have requested a certain room and it's not available. That's fine though.

The staff use to be very nice and seemed to like what they're doing. Over the past year or so, we've notice, the staff being a little grumpy, especially the night crew. Don't know why that is, new management?

Sometimes there are weddings and receptions on the property. Sometimes it gets a little loud, but no real complaints. Just a heads up.

We've been pretty happy staying at the Lodge and would recommend it.

• Liked — Location and large suites
  • Disliked — Not so friendly staff
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2008

I was wary booking this hotel as I had read so many mixed reviews but I succumbed due to the large rooms offered for families. We booked from Dec 28 for two nights so I figured that we would ‘survive’ the experience however bad this place might be! Fortunately for us we had a very pleasant time indeed. We booked only ten days in advance and were offered the largest suite (2 rooms) for $239 a night, which was much cheaper than the advertised price of $309. The hotel was easy to find (Google maps do help though!) and beautifully situated in a forest overlooking the quaint township of Cambria. The Christmas lights and garden of the lodge were spectacular and our family was delighted by the historical and cheerful atmosphere of the resort. We were placed in a four-room block on the lower floor. Our large suite consisted of two rooms: a living room with two convertible double beds, TV and gas fireplace; and a second, equally large magnificent king sized suite, also with TV and gas fireplace, which overlooked the forest. Positives: our kids were happily ensconced in their own room (which was not as attractive as ours) and had their own beds. Negatives: the bathroom was old, compared to the standard of the bedroom, and the towels were scratchy. Fortunately, I did not hear any noise from our ground floor neighbors, but I did hear and feel people walking overhead from the upper level. If this is likely to unduly bother you, request an upstairs room. I heard no noise through the night and the bed was excellent. The dining room is very homely and offers both hot and cold items for breakfast. We ate dinner there one night and enjoyed the ambiance. It is upscale and pricey, but the food is tasty and well presented. After dinner you can enjoy live music in an attractive lounge near the restaurant. Our kids were made very welcome. The pool area is new, and in winter super-heated – possibly too much so, as the kids complained their eyes were stinging after swimming in over chlorinated water. Overall we enjoyed our time here (possibly because I was expecting the worse!) and would recommend our large suite for people who need more space and privacy than the usual cramped hotel rooms on offer. It’s close to Hearst Castle, the elephant seals and many other local attractions.

• Liked — Historical ambiance, beautiful location and grounds, size of suite
  • Disliked — Bathroom is old and disappointing compared to room; could feel vibrations from upstairs guests
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Cambria Pines Lodge? Share your experiences!