“Over-rated - did not live up to expectations...” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 42 restaurants in Cambria
Cuisines: International
Description: Our menu is based upon locally sourced and seasonably available products. The best organic food is what's grown closest to you - and it tastes better! Come taste for yourself. - Chef/Owner David
Sussex
“Over-rated - did not live up to expectations...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

Went on recommendation of hotel receptionist but found very average food and poor value. I had veg soup which was OK and a pasta dish which was a bit runny and over-priced. My wife had a salad which was over-powered with blue cheese and a dab main course that she thought was OK but I found over-poweringly peppery. I would question the chef's palate but my wife feels that I am being harsh. She does agree with me re poor value for money. Would not go back!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

85% Recommend
Pasadena, California
“Wonderful meal and cozy ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

We recently stayed in Cambria for one night on our way to Monterey. Our hotel recommended Madeline's as a place for steaks and seafood and gave us a coupon for free appetizer. We ordered crabcakes, rib eye steak and seafood. This was the best meal we had in our entire trip. Reasonably priced for the quality of food.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Paso Robles, California
“Madeline's is a must stop restaurant when in Cambria”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

My husband and I were fortune enough to go to a wine maker's dinner at Madeline's this past week. We've known about the restaurant, but since we live in Paso Robles we've not gotten a chance to dine there till now. Wow! So glad we had the opportunity because what we experienced was absolutely divine! The food is indescribable. Every bite was exciting and tastey. Loved the presentation on all the courses served. The atmosphere is quaint, cozy and you can't beat the location. Just go...you'll have a memorable experience through and through.
Patti Massaker

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Santiago, Chile
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

We shared the scallops, they were cooked perfectly (and free with a coupon found on their website). Hubby had the lamb and said it was delicious. Cooked perfectly and tasty. I had the risotto and we liked it, although this was my first one.
Didn't have wine since we had a tasting at the hotel.
Cozy atmosphere, the Chef checked on us, which was nice, and the service was professional. A smile on our waiter's face would have been better though, this guy was way to serious.
Scallops > $12
Lamb > $30
Risotto > $20
I believe it's the average price for that kind of food but yeah, I found the risotto to be expensive.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Southern california
“Good food, but not as good as the hype”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

It wasn't that we didn't enjoy our meal - we did. I think I was expecting something more. We had an oddball of a waiter, we asked a few questions about the food and he didn't really want to describe anything. He did come by a lot to check on us, which was nice. I ordered Risotto which I normally love - it was kind of bland and goopy, and it was expensive! Their meals dont come with any side dishes, you must order salads, or whatever you want. They do bring you a basket of bread, though. I dont mind paying for a meal, we typically eat at the more expensive spots, but I dont feel like this was worth the money they charged. My husband had seafood gumbo which he enjoyed, but he left still feeling a little hungry. The atmosphere is really nice, lots of couples sitting enjoying some wine and the ambiance. They sit you really close to the other guests, so its kind of hard to have a private conversation. We did enjoy our meal, and would probably go there again, but we didn't feel it was as great as others, I guess.

• 3 of 5 stars Food