“Great things come in small packages” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 44 Restaurants in Cambria
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: International
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Doing business
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Our menu is based upon locally sourced and seasonably available products. The best organic food is what's grown closest to you - and it tastes better! Come taste for yourself. - Chef/Owner David
“Great things come in small packages”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

We went to Madeline's on the recommendation of a close friend and was she ever right! I had an amazing fish dish with wasabi butter - Who doesn't like butter or wasabi right? and my husband thoroughly enjoyed the pork chop. We almost didn't get dessert but decided that a little decadence was in order. Do Not.......Repeating....Do not say no to the chocolate chocolate chocolate pie/cake/mousse. David, the owner/chef, was our waiter....Hello? Does it get any better than that? When we asked for the receipe he quickly offered to send it to us which was so charming. Can you tell we were impressed? One word, it is not cheap but we deserve it.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Cambria, California
“always better than the last”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

I am a local in Cambria and this is mine and my boyfriends favorite place to Dine. Every time I go its always better that the last. The food is spectacular and fresh. I'm not a fish fan but their halibut is amazing. I love going and chatting with David (owner/chef). Last time we went I got the Stuffed chicken and by boyfriend got the rabbit. the Rabbit meal was prepared beautifully and it was Dam good!! I will recommend this place to everyone I know. I have never had a bad experience! can't wait to go back.... I never wait to long to go back!!

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
UK
“Misery at Madeline's”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We were on our honeymoon and after reading the reviews were looking forward to dining here after saving ourselves through the day for some great food! Unfortunately this was not the case from our perspective. We got there to be greeted by a very busy front of house service, who prioritised phone calls before attending to face to face guests. Eventually we got shown to our table and were greeted by a waiter who seemed bored and uninterested. We asked advice about a specific type of wine as wished to try before we buy. The waiter was uninformative about the wines and it seemed like a chore that we asked for a few tasters to decide on the right one for us. One table near to us were getting, what sounded like, a better experience than us with in depth info on the wines. We however got a blank and bored look with no conversation whatsoever. We ended up going with something safe as we felt uneasy asking for further help and advice. Before ordering food I asked if the mash could be made without the garlic and he said no with no come back. I asked if it could be replaced and he said yes - scalloped potatoes or rice (getting somewhere slowly but surely). I ordered the chicken and my newly wed husband got the halibut special. You would think that having requested no garlic in the mash that our waiter may have thought to inform me that the scalloped potatoes were doused in garlic alongside the veg and chicken (not being on the menu) so I ended up with a dish that wasn't enjoyable in the slightest and the Brie had been replaced by a stronger more pungent tasting cheese. It was awful for my personal taste which I had originally tried to avoid. My hub kindly offered to swap as it was only the veg on his that was lavished in garlic. I enjoyed the halibut but felt guilty for my hub who ended up with a meal he hadn't chosen and admitted it was very garlicky. Service lacked by our waiter throughout. We would never return to this restaurant or recommend it to anyone we know.

Los Angeles, California
“Simploy Scrumptious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Mmmm, just thinking of the food I had here makes my mouth water! My mother and I ordered the crab and lobster cakes - never ever had better tasting, high quality cakes like these, the jambalaya (I think that's what it's called) - so full in flavor with large, plump scallops. We actually shared everything and were quite satisfied..not stuffed like usual. I'm going back in September with my sisters and will definitely take them there.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Huntington Beach, California, United States
“An almost hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

We almost passed up on this restaurant because the signage is too shiny with the floodlit sign outside. We had no idea that the food was so good and the lateness of the hour made us think about just having an appetizer. Those two appetizers were enough to convince us that we had to come back for dinner the next day. Allow me to back up time-wise.
We had come to Cambria after imaging the elephant seals just up the road from Cambria. There were over a thousand seals resting on that beach and we spent an extra amount of time imaging them. That is another review to be posted on Trip Advisor.
The next day we came back after having an appetizer dinner the evening before. We had also tried a Cabernetfranc wine from Madeleine winery in Monterey, Ca. the night before and we were impressed enough to buy another glass and eventually buy a bottle to bring home. The previous evening we both were very impressed with the menu and our server the night before gave us enough ideas to make sure we were going to check out this restaurant this evening. When we came back the following evening, the menu was pretty much the same with one or two items not on the menu. We had the California Halibut and the Fettucini Primavera. The halibut was very good and the sauce was superb. The primavera was truly excellent as the shrimp were done to perfection and were bigger than expected. Yes, we had the Cabernetfranc and chose to purchase a bottle. Yes, we are going to order a case from the winery. Overall I am quite impressed with Madeline's for the size that it is. The bill was what we expected based upon our stop the night before. As we were leaving we noticed how many people were showing up at their reserved time. There is another part of this restaurant that is a wine bar tasting area. They have a couple of tables to accommodate overflow walk-ins so we realized that Madeline's has both a tourist trade and a good number of locals. This place is on our list of places to eat in Cambria. I do recommend setting up a reservation, especially if you are going to bring a larger number than four or six. I did notice that the kitchen has a stove capable of ten burners so the owner does expect large number of patrons. Talked with the head chef and am impressed with his whole layout of his kitchen. He could be a victim of his own success if he starts getting a large summer/ vacation crowd. We were further impressed with real fabric napkins and table cloths. The spacing of the tables also allows relatively personal conversation.

• Visited April 2014