“Down comforters and hardwood floors!” 5 of 5 stars

Cambria Palms Motel
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   2662 Main Street, Cambria, CA 93428   |
Ranked #14 of 31 Cambria B&B and Inns
Half Moon Bay, California
“Down comforters and hardwood floors!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I recently stayed for one night at the Cambria Palms and was very pleasantly surprised - I think this will be the motel I use from now on when I visit Cambria, and I go there a lot.

I had stayed at the Palms a couple of years ago, when they were still in the process of renovating it. My experience was good at that time, but even better now, I was happy to see that they have added down comforters and that the floors are hardwood. They also have upgraded the TVs to flat screens instead of the little ones they supplied before. They added a bike rack outside with "cruiser"-type bikes the guests can ride into town.

My room and bathroom were clean, clean, clean - check-in was easy and pleasant, and the front desk person was very nice and helpful. Since I was just passing thru and only spending one night (and traveling alone), I didn't spend much time in the gardens in back, but they looked beautiful. They added a fire pit that was lit at sunset, along with chairs to relax in. I also took a walk down the street to the vacant lot/dog park (about a half block away) in the evening, and totally enjoyed myself listening to the owls in the trees, the creek, and enjoying the view. I found myself wishing that I could stay another night, but was unable to do so.

If you haven't been to the Cambria Palms for a while, I'd encourage you to visit it again - wonderful!

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the motel (it's one-story) are the ones that lead directly out to thega...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

137 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Julian, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We made a spontaneous detour on our way back from Santa Cruz and couldn't believe the good price on this motel. We drove up, half expecting it to be a dump....but it was exactly the opposite. Very clean and tidy! The woman at the desk (I'm sorry but I've forgotten her name) was very friendly, helping direct us to an awesome place for dinner and making the reservation for us. Walkable to town and in a town so beautiful and charming (and in California) I can't believe there are places this decent for less than $100. Wow! No frills (pools, weight rooms) but we never use those things anyway, so it's nice not to have to pay for them.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and I took our parents on a surprise road trip up to Hearst Castle from Los Angeles. We wanted to keep our expenses as low as possible when it came to lodging. When researching hotels and areas to stay in Cambria Palms was the lowest price. I researched the hotel and neighborhood since we have never been. I liked what I read about the town and even with mixed reviews of the hotel I figured we would wing it because we were just staying over night literally to shower and sleep.

When we pulled up to the hotel it was exactly what I expected, an old style motel with a modern flare. When we checked in the 2 men at the front (possible owners) were welcoming and informative about the town. Since we requested 2 rooms we asked for a joint room and we got one no problem. The door was locked when we first got into our rooms but the hotel clerk quickly unlocked it for us.

The rooms seemed newly updated, clean and the bed was comfortable. It was walking distance into the cute little town of Cambria and about an 8 mile ride to Hearst Castle. It was a relatively quiet hotel. When we first arrived around 5pm there were dogs barking since it's a dog friendly hotel. I don't mind though, I'm a dog person. Thankfully the barking all died down and by bed time it was quiet! My husband and I and the parents (in their 60's) all had a very good nights sleep.

My only request is that there be more outlets in the bathroom, made it hard to dry my hair.

I would for sure recommend this motel to anyone staying for the weekend especially if you have a dog.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I stayed two nights in a room without air conditioning, telephone, any kind of door security (not even a peephole or chain lock) and very basic furnishings. The best part of this place is the exterior, which looks inviting and has good parking. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Santa Barbara, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

This motel was built in the 1950's and has been fairly recently updated to include new baths, flat screen TVs and great beds. The location is on the outskirts of Cambria and within easy walking distance to restaurants, bars, grocery store and a great bakery. The property is extremely clean and the landscaping is beautifully kept. The rooms are a comfortable size and fairly simple. The one caveat I would point out is the possibility of having an "adjoining room". We had the misfortune to have one of these rooms the first night we were there and the family next door sounded like they were in the same room we were. On the other side we had a solid was and heard no noise from our neighbor. Fortunately the second night, the adjoining room was vacant. You do hear noise from the parking lot but fortunately, everyone seems to go to be about 10pm and it is very quiet after that.
The office is only open a few hours in the morning and then again at 3:00pm until evening.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask if the room is an adjoining room. If you are not sharing it with your party, opt for...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Maria, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Using Groupon coupon we got a two nights lodging. The lady I talked to to make the reservations was very nice and professional. When we arrived the desk clerk asigned us the room in the back. I asked about making reservations at a local restuarant which he agreed was a good idea. When we entered the room the first item noticed was a large number of pillbugs on the floor both in the bed room and bathroom. The bedrom was small with a bed and one chair plus a very small table that held the coffee pot, clock and two glasses. There wasn't any place to put something on such as an end table. With the sowbugs on the floor, putting luggage anywhere but on the bed seemed out of the question. The bathroom was a nice size but lacked any counter space. The bed was excellent and vey comfortable.

Room Tip: Maybe paying full rate would make a difference.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Monrovia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

We got a great deal for a 2 night stay, so the price was right. The property has gone through a remodel, but it could still use a little more help. The room was clean, and the bed was comfortable; but the rest of the furnishings were old and tired. The grounds have some very nice landscaped areas, with a nice back area and a fire pit. The parking area could be softened by more landscape, particularly right next to the rooms; there is no buffer from the cars. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back yard and fire pit would be my choice.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cambria Palms Motel? Share your experiences!