“Loved Our Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
California
“Loved Our Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This was the first time we traveled with our dog, Bradley. Frankly, it was only because our dog sitter was not available, but it turned out remarkably well. I was somewhat concerned about a place that allows so many dogs and was worried that the rooms might smell. I can assure you the rooms were clean and fresh. I'm not quite sure how they manage it, but it's a testament to their housekeeping staff! Our room was a bit small, but lovely. Nice bedding, very comfortable bed, nice fireplace, microwave and mini fridge, beautiful bathroom with a large soaker tub and rain shower head. They provide a simple fruit, yogurt and pastry breakfast hung on a basket outside your room daily. Wi-fi was fast and reliable in the rooms and outside on the patio. The property has lovely gardens and comfy chairs facing the ocean..which is literally steps away. I would highly recommend this place and look forward to going back again someday.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Had wanted to stay here a few years back when we drove through and admired the succulent landscaping. Finally did in March, and it was delightful. The vintage CA ranch style B & B has lovely updated rooms. Fireplace, kitchenette, bedding are lovely. The staff and owners couldn't be nicer. (And the brownies are delicious!) A nice breakfast is left in a basket near the door. A quick walk across Moonstone Drive takes one to a lovely meandering boardwalk walk along the Pacific Ocean. Downtown Cambria is fun to tour, and the innkeepers provide excellent dining recommendations. We'll be back.

Sunny California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

“Every dog has its day” as the saying goes, and I can’t imagine a better than a day spent in Cambria. In addition to the dog-friendly Cambria Shores Inn, a number of restaurants in Cambria are pet-friendly and the nearby Fiscalini Ranch Preserve is a great place for dog walking. Dogs may be on or off leash depending on which trail you choose. The long boardwalk opposite the inn, however, is also great for walking, with or without a four-legged friend.

My wife and I, along with our English Setter, stayed at the Cambria Shores Inn for two nights in April. The inn is located on Moonstone Drive, with a spectacular view of the Pacific, just across from the boardwalk that runs along the road. You get great views of the rugged coastline everywhere. Like many of the inns on Moonstone Drive, Cambria Shores has a nostalgic, retro-vibe, hearkening back to the days of motor inns. It is comfortable and relaxing.

From a canine point of view, I have no bones to pick (sorry). The rooms and grounds are neat, clean, and well-manicured, remarkably so considering that dogs tend to track everywhere. Fortunately, the inn includes a dog-cleaning area and towels for wiping paws. There are several lawns for pets to take care of business and doggie bags for picking up afterward. The inn even provides flashlights in case nature calls your pet at 3 AM. You can run your dog ragged at a nearby Lampton Cliffs park, which is on the beach, or at the preserve mentioned above. Our setter was dog tired (sorry again) by the end of the day.

From a human point of view, I can’t complain either. The rooms are quiet thanks to double paned windows. I was worried that I would hear dogs barking, but this was not a problem. I didn’t hear yapping or see (or step in) any dog dollops on the grounds. The room had a convenient kitchenette, cozy fireplace, comfortable bed, and a tub/shower with good water pressure. A breakfast basket was delivered each morning with OJ, fresh fruit, bagel, pastries, and more. Fresh coffee was available in the lobby and each room also had a coffee maker. Cheese, fruit, and crackers were served at 5 PM, followed by brownies at 6 PM. There are plenty of Adirondack chairs for watching the sun rise, or set, or for reading a good book; a great way to hit the “paws” button on life (and again).

On a side note, there are a number of dog friendly restaurants in Cambria on Main Street. The Cambria Pub & Steakhouse, just off Main Street, had an enclosed patio with overhead heaters—nice if it’s blustery out. They make a much better burger than Main Street Grill.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
West Covina, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We have stayed at various places at Cambria and they were all great...Cambria Shores Inn is another one of those great places. It has charm, excellent services, a super comfy bed and one of the best views of the ocean. They offer appetizers in the afternoon and delicious brownies and cookies at night. They bring breakfast at 8am and place it on a hook, just outside of your door, filled with OJ, pastries, fruit, yogurt and bagels. If you have a dog, bring Fido with you...this is a dog friendly establishment. This is horseshoe shaped Inn, with a nice grassy area in the middle,with lounge chairs so you can sit and enjoy the beautiful Pacific. We found a new Place to view the ocean. Book a room at Cambria Shores.....it's awesome!

Room Tip: Rooms 11 thru 16 offer the best views of the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Admittedly, this was our first trip with the pooch, so it is also the only place he has stayed, but what a great little place.
We had a King room with Patio, room 21. As most rooms, it had a fireplace and separate shower and tub, microwave, and refrigerator. While we ate out the frist evening, we took advantage of the fridge, micro, and table for some other meals. You don't get the Cambria Shores Inn's view when you go into town! It can't be beat!
I just loved the doggie welcome basket. Our dog was remembered each morning in our breakfast basket with 2 Milkbones.
You've read about the cookies at 3 pm, appetizers at 5 pm, and brownies at 6 pm. All were excellent; at least treat yourself once during your stay. Take a small plate and enjoy the view from an adirondack.
Everything was clean. I never detected a dog smell.
All dogs were friendly. It seemed like responsible dog owners were drawn here.

Some of my less favorite aspects:
I'll admit, we are hard to please when it comes to a bed. Our bed and pillows were too soft for our liking, and seemed a bit broken down. But the bedding was lovely.
Oh, and if you rely on a hairdryer to style your hair, you may want to bring your own, as the one in the room wasn't very powerful. This is just a tip... I wouldn't expect a full size hairdryer in a small hotel. It didn't upset me, just more of a note for next time.

I'm sure our pup will insist on a next time. He really seemed to take to the vacation way of life!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I came here for a long weekend getaway. We rented a car from Santa Barbara and stayed at this wonderful b&b for 2 nights. The rooms are recently remodeled with cozy fireplaces, and jacuzzi bathtubs. In the morning, your breakfast is hanging in a picnic basket outside your door (coffee, juice, fresh fruit, and pastries). We took a hike in the morning across the street and wandered around the town of Cambria for the afternoon.

For the evening we took a tour of Hearst Castle (a must do in my opinion). This was THE perfect place to stay... quite, relaxing, romantic, and beautiful! I would recommend this to any of my friends visiting the California coast.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are recently remodeled so you can't go wrong!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I couldn't wait to share my review with others looking to stay at this wonderful hotel! At first I was a bit worried because I didn't realize this was a dog friendly hotel. I thought it was going to be noisy but it was quite the contrary. Our room was modern and comfortable. I loved the fire place. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful. We were giving brownies and coffee upon our arrival. In the morning we were given a breakfast basket that was full of breakfast goodies. No cons that I can think of.. We would defineltely stay here again!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cambria Shores Inn? Share your experiences!