“Lovely hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Cambria
Townsville, Australia
“Lovely hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed for one night on our way down Hwy 1 to LA. Lovely hotel, beds super comfortable, loved the cheese and crackers in the afternoon, and buffet breakfast in the morning. Very clean, and very spacious. Across the road from the beach, if we ever come back to the USA wouldn't hesitate in staying again

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
So California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We had reservations for an Ocean Front Suite for three nights. Husband had eye surgery 2 days previous so this was a "Recovery trip" . We have been visiting Moonstone Beach for several years now and our old favorite hotel is not what it used to be so we gave Pelican Inn a try. It did not disappoint. We were looking for peace and quiet in beautiful, comfortable surroundings. We were checked in on Thursday by Jon and he was very accomodating and pleasant. The room was beautiful and warm, we slept like babies. The hot breakfast was nice, as was the wine and cheese in the late afternoon. The staff working in the dining room was consistently pleasant and gracious. We could not have asked for a nicer stay! I usually spend a good amount of time shopping the villages of Cambria, but not this trip...I didn't want to leave the hotel. The grounds are landscaped really nice also. I have already reserved our next trip to Moonstone Beach and the Pelican Inn!!

Room Tip: Pay the extra and reserve the Ocean Front Room, well worth it.
San Luis Obispo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I spent the night here a couple of weeks back for my birthday. I must say it was a wonderful birthday for me!

Even though we are SLO County locals, I felt like I was in a far away land on Moonstone Beach Drive! When we checked into the hotel, the staff was really friendly and gave us great directions to our room. Our room was beautiful! We had an view of the ocean and a nice little balcony where we watched the sunset! The room also had a jacuzzi tub and a fireplace, but we didn't get a chance to use them because we were too tired from our day of exploring Cambira and seeing all of the Scarecrows!

The next morning we had breakfast at the hotel as well and it was great! I loved the scrambled eggs and potatoes, and they served Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf coffee which was amazing!!

Thanks again for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: The Ocean View is worth it!
Palm Desert, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We spent a night a this lovely hotel and had a wonderful time! The room was recently redecorated and we found it very comfortable! The bed was also very comfortable with very nice linens. At night they had a free wine and cheese happy hour and a very nice breakfast in the morning! We can't wait to come back for another lovely stay, and hopefully we can stay longer!

Room Tip: We always enjoy an ocean view the beauty and for a relaxing time!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed at the Pelican Inn & Suites for our anniversary. The room was perfect! It was newly remodeled and nicely decorated with a modern beachy feel. Cozy fireplace and the bed was really comfortable. The private patio off our room was awesome, we sat outside and watched the sunset. Hot breakfast the next morning was also great. We'll be back again for sure!

Room Tip: We stayed in the building closest to the road so our view was amazing!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

This was basically an average motel with a nice position across from the ocean in a rather dead zone of Cambria. The staff who greeted me made me feel like I was some kind of strange alien: I've never had such a docile and unfriendly reception. I went back foolishly later to inquire about the local area and whether there were any shops close by, and the response was so hostile: it was almost as if I was mumbling in another language. Maybe my English accent threw them out, but their attitude was as if I was an escaped convict trying to case the joint.

The room I had was on the second floor (first for English/Australians) and was supposedly renovated. It reminded me of a maiden Aunt's lounge with a slightly outdated 1970's ambiance. I wouldn't want to have been on the ground/1st floor: you would be basically looking at the car park.

A redeeming feature was the breakfast: very tasty and varied, and the staff on check out was a huge improvement.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Charlie320, General Manager at Pelican Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to write a review. I’m truly sorry about how you were treated. We honor and respect all guests and want to treat them like family. As the General Manager I take all reviews seriously, and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay with you. I would invite you to contact me directly cyates@pelicansuites.com or call me at the hotel so that we can work to understand this challenge and help to make the Pelican Inn and Suites your hotel of choice again.
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I booked two nights at the Pelican Inn at the end of August as a result of the website pictures and good TA reviews. I was really disappointed when I arrived after a long drive down from Napa the room I was assigned looked nothing like the pictures on the website. I booked a partial ocean view room and it was quite expensive and what we got was a basic Motel 6 room that looked out on a parking lot. Everything looked old and worn out with the exception of a new headboard. There was one bed and no where for my son to sleep the pictures had showed a pull out couch. My husband ended up sleeping on an air mattress. There were scuff marks on the walls in the hall this really turns me off how hard is it to throw a little paint on and cover them up. Tiny pool, breakfast buffet fine but when there is free food people act like they're in a herd of cattle. I don't need a free waffle that bad. Worst part of the whole experience the front desk clerk Jonathan. He was horrible so much so that I had an altercation with him at the front desk while my son was with me. My son is still talking about the experience with his friends and family. I ended up canceling my second night and changing my Hearst Castle reservations. We had been traveling all over CA and had wonderful hotel experiences this was the worst experience I have ever had at any hotel. I have sent two emails to Charles Yates, Manager and Alie Gaffan Employee Development and have gotten not response from anyone. For over $300. a night guests should be treated much better.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to write a review. I’m sorry that we did not exceed your expectations. As the General Manager I take all reviews seriously, and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay with you. Unfortunately neither Ms. Gaffan nor I have received your emails, but I would invite you to contact me directly cyates@pelicansuites.com or call me at the hotel so that we can work to resolve this challenge and help to make the Pelican Inn and Suites your hotel of choice again.

Been to Pelican Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!