“Mixed feelings about Sand Pebbles Inn” 3 of 5 stars

You added Sand Pebbles Inn to your Saves list
Sand Pebbles Inn
6252 Moonstone Beach Drive, Cambria, CA 93428   |
Offers & Announcements
20%OFF any room, any day.
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Cambria
England
“Mixed feelings about Sand Pebbles Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights and had booked an ocean view room with a patio. The patio feature was nice but the room felt tired. It had a sort of canopy above the bed which looked neither one thing nor another.......... in other words, either you have a proper 4 poster bed or you don't. So the whole room looked terribly dated and wrong. We felt it was expensive for the quality of furnishings offered, despite the view. In other words you are paying mightily for the view. When we peeked into other rooms further back from the front of the hotel they looked much nicer. However, the mattress was extremely comfortable, probably the most comfortable bed of our holiday, and that's saying something. Also, there was a jacuzzi in the bathroom but we could not find the on/off point and there were no instructions about it. When we checked out and mentioned this, the very nice lady said that you have to get out of the bath to a switch on the wall by the basin to turn it on................ no comment! That said the staff were very helpful (staff is always plural in England) and were very pleasant with anything we required like restaurant reservations.

Breakfasts are served in a small room which gets pretty full at around 8 30 so there are tables in the hallway which, I am afraid, does look tacky. I suppose what they should really do is relinquish a bedroom for a bigger breakfast room, which would not be so economic but would look far more professional. Most people were having waffles but we prefer muesli type cereals and fruit for breakfast and the choice of cereals was limited and you had to eat them out of their carton. We found the coffee not very good quality, rather watery, I'm afraid.

So, disappointment on 2 counts which was a shame because the situation of the hotel demands better. Don't think we would stay here again but would possibly suggest friends try their newly refurbed sister hotel, Blue Dolphin.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
U.S.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

First impressions are important. The guest services host in the lobby was friendly and helpful. The lobby was clean, warm, and welcoming.
This is the first time that I've stayed in a hotel with a fireplace. It was lovely. We had an oceanfront room with a beautiful view. My husband and I like to listen to the ocean at night.
The bed was comfortable and I especially want to comment on the shower. Although the showerhead was environmentally friendly, there was good water pressure coming through.
The complimentary breakfast was very good. Fresh pastries from a local bakery, Numi Tea (my favorite), Kashi Cereal (healthy and delicious), great coffee (not the average discounted brand), belgian waffles, fresh strawberries, whipped cream, etc.
I definitely would recommend that you stay at this hotel. I'd also suggest staying at the Blue Dolphin a few doors down. It was recently renovated and the rooms are beautiful. Check out their website and and you can see for yourself.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

We stayed at the San Pebbles Inn on the 22nd of April as part of a 22 day trip from Las Vegas to San Francisco. Although we nearly didn't! I booked the hotel in January and after some issues with the website (it flickered a lot and the calendar changed itself a few times) I booked in for the 22nd of April...or so I thought.

When we arrived after a long day of driving from LA via San Luis Opisbo the lady at check in couldn't find our reservation. No problem I said here's the letter that I was sent (I booked in January it arrived maybe 4 weeks later) ...umm that says 22nd of March - DAM! For some reason I had not checked the letter when it arrived and just threw it into my holiday file and as this hotel was the only one that didn't send email confirmation, I hadn't re-checked prior to leaving.

The lady at reception was lovely and very understanding and said 'don't worry we'll sort this out for you'. She then called on another staff member and the hotel manger who were also lovely and they agreed that the website was a bit old and was in the process of being updated. They offered us a room (actually they physically showed us 3 rooms and let us pick what we wanted!) and said that they would only charge the difference in price ($50 odd between March and April rates - we checked their web rates and this was correct). This was amazingly gracious of them as, having worked in hotels before, a no-show (when someone doesn't turn up for their reservation) is basically tough luck - you don't show up they take your money.

The room we had was a partial sea view, although 'partial' is misleading - in a good way, as the view was amazing, a wide view of right out to sea (clearly so amazing we were stunned and forgot to take pictures of inside the room and the view!) The room was lovely, clean and cozy, with a comfy bed and a fire. We kept the windows open all night, and kept the fire on (it was freezing!) so we could hear the sea.

The area around the hotel is beautiful and even though there was no sunshine (we just missed it!) and it was chilly, it was so lovely and peaceful to walk along the beach (yes we did even paddle).

The hotel even offers free tea/ coffee/ cider and cookies from about 3pm which was lovely and the included breakfast the next morning was fab, with fresh waffles/ cereal/ pastries etc.

Overall this was a lovely hotel with amazing staff, which went out of their way to be helpful and were always happy to help, i'm looking forward to going back one day.

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night on our way to LA. We loved the place from the moment we stepped in. The staff was very nice, welcoming and helpful. Our ocean view room 208 was very cozy, clean and comfortable. Breakfast was very good. Will stay there again and recommend it to my friends

Berkeley, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in one of the ocean view rooms. The view is terrific! The complimentary breakfast was far better than we expected. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The decor was tasteful and the rooms were nicely updated. Our bed was incredibly comfortable! Bring your surf boards as it is right in front of a terrific beach. We were able to do some nice hikes right from our hotel. They are also remodeling another inn down the road - The Blue Dolphin. It looks really nice. I would definitely stay here again or try one of their other properties.

Temecula
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

My wife and drove up from Temecula to spend a long, overdue getaway for the weekend. I called and made reservations and explained our situation of needing a break from life. The manager, Tano, took the time to make sure our stay was to be the best it could be. He set us up in room 218... I highly recommend it(check my photo's)....It has a full view of the ocean, which is 50 feet from the window. We arrived in the later evening and as we opened our room door, we were greated with the lights off, and the room was illuminated by the fire in fire place. you can't ask for a better entrance to start a romantic weekend. To our surprise there was a delicious chocolate cake setting on the table ready for us weary travelers.

Nice king size bed, garnished with 6 of the most comfortable pillows and mattress. We slept like royalty, with the sound of the Pacific waves coming from outside. In the morning we went down to the Tea Room for an exquisite continental breakfast. Homemade waffles topped with strawberries, whipped cream and a touch of butter. Also available were muffins, bagels, fruit, juices, coffee..etc.

Although we didn't have our children with us, if we had however, there is a large selection of DVD's available and a good assortment of board games to choose from in the lobby.

On Saturday at sunset, we shared a bottle of wine, cheese and crackers and watched the sunset from the comfort of our room(see pictures). It was great...we sat nice and warm in our room and witnessed the a beatiful sunset.

We capped our Saturday night with an awesome dinner at Madeline's on the west side of town. Madeline's is a must when in Cambria. Dave, the chef and owner, runs a twelve table, intimate restaurant and the food was outstanding. This restaurant is up there with some of the best you would find in anywhere. Plan for a 1hr plus or so dining experience.

We will be back in a few months to do it all over again....Thank you Tano, and staff for well needed weekend away for my wife and I.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

My husband, my 15 year old and I stayed here one very rainy night in February before a visit to Hearst Castle. The staff was very helpful and friendly, the rooms impeccably clean, well decorated and with the most comfortable beds I've every slept in. Our room over looked the stormy ocean complete with a gas fireplace which we took full advantage of. It was very homey and comfortable, especially in the blustery February rain. The price included a hearty continental breakfast complete with deliciously huge home made waffles. An excellent wooden foot path skirts the edge of the beach cliffs just across the street from the hotel offering great views and a bit of exercise to walk off all those waffles.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family

Been to Sand Pebbles Inn? Share your experiences!