“When is an Inn, not?” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 10 hotels in Cambria
Los Angeles
“When is an Inn, not?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

It seems that the Central Coast uses the work Inn to mean any accommodation. This is a large motel. In a row of large motels. Across a quiet street from a lovely beach.

Staff were OK, room was small and not very well equipped. I did tell them I had two kids and they assured me the room I booked was a suite. Not sure that's the word I would have used. It was a rectangular room partially split by building a cupboard and a fireplace. We ended up having a fight to see who would have to sleep on the very poor sleeper sofa - the kids lost.

There is nothing charming, characterful or interesting about this place. When I hear the word Inn I have in my imagination something romantic and picturesque. Wrong.

Breakfast was exactly what I expect from a motel. We took one look and went elsewhere. In my opinion, it was an expensive mistake.

If you don't get a room overlooking the sea, you could be anywhere. Its probably better to get somewhere less high profile and drive to the beach.

Room Tip: There are rooms with balcony's overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Karen F, General Manager at Sand Pebbles Inn, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We recently purchased this Hotel from a previous company. Our goal is to improve upon the décor and ambiance of the rooms. We have already expanded the continental breakfast by adding bagels and fresh baked scones. We realize there is more work to be done, so please give us the opportunity to accommodate your lodging needs in the future. I think you will be pleasantly surprised the next time you visit Cambria.

Warmest Regards

391 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

My husband and I just spent our wedding anniversary at the Sand Pebbles Inn in Cambria. The hotel is right across from the water and the hotel was very clean and the rooms were big. The bed was extremely comfortable and we loved the cookies left for us each morning. Breakfast was downstairs and the food was very fresh with lots to choose from - including made to order waffles !!! Seems to be a popular place to stay and we can now see why. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Karen F, General Manager at Sand Pebbles Inn, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for choosing our location for celebrating your Wedding Anniversary. I am glad that you enjoyed your accommodations. It is such a nice time to be in Cambria, with the warm weather and bountiful sunsets.
Thank you for your comments!
Sincerely
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

The Sand Pebbles Inn is one of my two favorite places to stay in Cambria - the other being its sister hotel The Blue Dolphin Inn. You can't go wrong staying in either hotel, but if you are traveling with family, I would recommend The Sand Pebbles Inn, which seems to be more family-friendly. It's location, right across from the ocean, couldn't be more perfect. There's nothing better than going to sleep listening to the waves. The rooms are spacious and the beds heavenly!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a room with an ocean view. It is definitely worth it!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your very nice comments. I am glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay at one of our Moonstone locations. It is our goal to provide a superior customer experience. I am happy that we were able to do so while staying with us. We hope you return soon!
Pacific Grove, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We have stayed at this Inn 4 times since January of 2012. All the rooms have been great and clean. The bathroom amenities are awesome!! The beds are comfortable. The ocean view rooms with the patio are amazing. The breakfast has so many choices and the waffles well those are the best. So you are wondering why only a one star review: In January I got engaged at the Sand Pebbles so naturally when we decided to pick a honeymoon place we decided on the Sand Pebbles Inn. We made our reservation in March. In October 1.5 weeks before our honeymoon stay we called to confirm our reservations. At that time we were told that the hotel would be closed due to roof repair and that we would be moved to the Blue Dolphin Inn!! THEY did not call or email to let us know the change so we wonder if we had not called what would have happened. My partner asked for a confirmation to be sent via email. The next day nothing....so a few days later she called back to check on the status and her call was met with a very rude person who proceeded to argue about the confirmation being sent. She was not understanding about the situation at all. Even had the nerve to tell us she was disappointed with the whole thing as well......it was not her that was disrespected!! My partner got the number of the Blue Dolphin as we sadly decided after the rude customer service and not contacting us in the first place to cancel our reservation. When we called we were delighted that our favorite front desk person, Sandra, formerly from the Sand Pebbles Inn answered. She apologized and said she would let the general manager know about what happened. Well it has been a month since that conversation and still no email apology or phone call....this is how repeat customers are treated? That is not ok in our book. We are saddened because this was our special place to stay and favorite weekend get-a-way spot. We were looking forward to many more stays at this Inn but after this situation we will have to find another place to stay. (Our honeymoon stay would have been October 16-18 of this year)

Room Tip: In our opinion there are no bad rooms. If you decide to stay here splurge on an ocean front patio r...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Karen F, General Manager at Sand Pebbles Inn, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
First of all, thank you for your feedback. I apologize for not getting back to you to inform you of the Roofing Project prior to your stay. Once I was notified, I made every attempt to call and notify guest prior to their arrival that this was going to occur. I am sorry that I did not contact you prior to you calling to confirm your reservation. My intention was to accommodate our guest at our Premier Property, also located on Moonstone Beach. We strive each and every day to provide our guest with a “superior customer experience”. I have taken the necessary steps with the employee who was rude to you so that this does not happen in the future. This is unacceptable and will not be tolerated. As you may know, no matter what you physically do to a business to make it beautiful, it is wasted without staff that care. I appreciate your business and your loyally to our brand. I hope that you give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.
Linden, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Sand Pebbles is in a beautiful spot, just across the street from Moonstone Beach. The person at the check-in desk couldn't have been more pleasant or helpful. You could tell she loved her job!

The property is very clean and well maintained. We were in room 204 and didn't purchase a ocean front room, but we had a fireplace in our room, a refrigerator and microwave and the room was spacious. The hotel is also quiet and in walking distance of the Sea Chest Oyster Bar (great food) and another Moonstone Bar & Grill.

We would stay here again and only wished we were staying more than 1 night! A great property that obviously is taken care of with TLC.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Karen F, General Manager at Sand Pebbles Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay! Every day we strive to provide a superior customer experience. It is wonderful to hear that the Guest Service Host made you feel welcome and that your accommodations were comfortable.
Please come and see us again soon!

Sincerely
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Spent one night here on the way to Monterey from LA. Staff were very pleasant and but the continental breakfast could be improved. Stayed in room 212 with a nice view of the ocean. A little pricey but on par with most hotels in the area. Could use a vending machine in the lobby for pop or bottled water. Would stay here again if the price was right.

Room Tip: Stay on 2nd floor near the front good ocean views.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Karen F, General Manager at Sand Pebbles Inn, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your room. I appreciate your comments regarding the vending machine and breakfast selection. I am planning on some additional items for our breakfast selection. The suggestions that we have received from our guest has made an impact on our management team. We look forward to providing our guest with some new items in the future.
Thank you for staying with us on Moonstone Beach. I hope that you return soon.
Regards,
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stopped here for a night on a Hwy 1 drive from San Francisco to LA. Overall it is nice for an Inn style hotel. Couple of downsides, not air-conditioning so was very hot at night on a 27 degree day. Rooms are quite small with low ceiling, and breakfast was nice but no savoury options. Service was very good, but make sure you don't arrive after 10pm as you have to go down the road to check in.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sand Pebbles Inn? Share your experiences!