“cosy inn on route 1” 4 of 5 stars

20% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 10 hotels in Cambria
“cosy inn on route 1”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed here on our trip down route 1 from SF to LA as we were going to Hearst Castle the next day. This was one of the more expensive places we stayed at during our trip and i think you’re paying for the beautiful location more than anything else. The rooms are very clean and modern but not as spacious as some of the other places we’d stayed in. However, they did have some lovely cookies on arrival and a fire in the room, which made it really cosy. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast the next morning was good, they had everything you could ever want for breakfast from cereal to waffles ... although the room was a little cramped.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

391 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Settled on the Sand Pebbles Inn for a night whist on our way to Hearst Castle and then onto LA.

The place is very cosy and is well located across the road from the beach. Not much of a beach though if you like swimming, but is good for a walk in the mist. Many people stroll with their dogs along the walkway that extends from one side to the other.

Room was very comfortable. Furnished more country style than city-chic, but it suited the place and the the Inn. Enjoyed some ice cold water on arrival and they also presented us with some cooikes int he afternoon.

There is a very small breakfast area on the lower level that serves waffles with fruit as well as yogurt and some bread and coffee/tea/juice and hard-boiled eggs. Not fancy, but good enough.

My negative would be a lack of airconditioning in the room. There was a fan on the roof, but it was not above the bed, so we needed to sleep with windows open as it was very hot, so did not get a very good rest unfortunately. It was soothing heraing the waves breaking late at night however. I assume the gas fireplace will be handy when it is cooler, but it was not needed on our trip.

If we travel in this area agin, we will stay at this Inn

Room Tip: Don't stay on the lower level if you can. I think the King Suite has full ocean facing view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Palo Alto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is a great Inn in Cambria because it's right on the coast. The room was nice and very clean but in need of some updating. The bed was great though! The staff was helpful and booked a table at a restaurant for us.
Breakfast was good, with waffles etc but the breakfast room is pretty small.
Overall this Inn is pretty good value for money and just has a great location!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Berlin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We where driving down from San Francisco back to Newport and wanted to make a stop for the kids, since it is such a long drive. We booked the Sand Pebbles Inn and we did not regret it.
The whole village is really cute and it IS a real beautiful place on the ocean.
It feels like vacation, it is vacation. The stuff was very friendly, the rooms are fairly large, they have a nice light and you just have to cross the street and you can walk on the ocean. i did my morning run there and it was ver beautiful.
The breakfast room is in the basement, I think they should offer and outdoor area as a second option. The breakfast was ok, the service really nice.
I like the complementary tea and coffee in the little lobby, and the bench on front of the lobby.
Even it is a small hotel and our kids where quiet noisy the night we arrived, everybody was really friendly and patient. I would stay there again.
Style wise they could do better and a renovation is needed in the coming years - its definitely not a four start hotel - the location, the service and the whole atmosphere are great.
So, again - for that price it is a really nice spot, but more on the expensive side if you consider the interior, breakfast etc. I would still stay there again.
Oh, and definitely make a reservation at the Sea Chest Restaurant & Oyster, BUT NOT AT THE The Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill, ITS ONE OF THE WORST PLACES I EVER DINNED!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I booked a King Oceanfront room on the first floor for 2 nights for my visit to Hearst Castle. When I arrived, the staff was friendly and directed me where to park, how to get to my room, and the breakfast hours. I was very happy with the comfort level/cleanliness of the room and especially thrilled with the view. Of my patio/open door: I enjoyed watching a sunset, watching the sunrise light hit the wave and hill tops, people-watching - folks (and dogs) walking the Moonstone Beach boardwalk, sipping my hot coffee wrapped in a wool blanket (December), and listening to the waves anytime I wanted - which was often! The Inn is set slightly up and back from the street which gave it a better view than I expected of a 1st floor room and I didn't feel intruded on if someone walked by on the street. Of my room: On the second day it rained a lot, but thanks to my room, I enjoyed reading by the gas fireplace; after a very wet & windy tour of Hearst Castle - taking a hot bath in the big tub (first floor/oceanfront only I believe) with the provided bath salts, and sleeping in the cozy bed. My only constructive criticism is that I would have preferred more artwork on the walls, the 2 prints across from the fridge/microwave nook were nice, but that was it for the whole room. Of the breakfast: Nice continental options with the addition of fresh waffles. I didn't experience any noise from the breakfast room/ice machine as other reviewers have. Of the location: just perfect. As a solo gal, I felt very secure and comfortable here. And at check-out, again warm and friendly, staff asked me about my stay. Thank you Sand Pebbles, I will return.

Room Tip: If you like a patio with a fabulous unobstructed view and a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom, then ask fo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Sadly we only had one night at this hotel as it was lovely. The rooms were beautiful and the little touches like cookies in the room and having the fire lit when we arrived really enhanced our experience, the staff were friendly and the breakfast was of good quality. Stay here, you won't regret it!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Fayetteville, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Very nice clean room. Beautiful view! We enjoyed our stay, comfortable bed. The price was pretty much the same as other places in the area $240 per night. We weren't in one of the front rooms but still had an excellent view.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sand Pebbles Inn? Share your experiences!