“My boys said they "Liked it a lot better than Hearst Castle"” 5 of 5 stars

+1 805-927-2690
Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 22 things to do in Cambria
More attraction details
Owner description: California State Historical Landmark No. 939 is the creation of Arthur Harold Beal. An Artistic, funky house designed, sculpted and built by one man, Art Beal. Considered one of the finest examples of Folk Art.
A TripAdvisor Member
“My boys said they "Liked it a lot better than Hearst Castle"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2005

So intriguing, interesting and fun! Mike the tour guide packs the tour with lots of stories creating a quaint portrait of a wacky, resourceful, poetic individual. My sons, 9 and 13 yr.s old found the house and the tour much more enjoyable than the Hearst Castle tour. And this is quite an endorsement coming from my hard to please/entertain 13 yr. old. The 9 yr. old would have loved to live there - plenty of room to roam and "create". Personally, it reminded me so much of my "Jichan"(grandfather) who also loved to create, reuse and recycle, like many others from his generation.

My family gives Nitt Witt Ridge 4 thumbs up! L.B. : )

Beverly Hills, California
“Avoid This Lame Hype”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2005

With all the beautiful sights to see in and around Cambria, why spend time at this eyesore? I have heard it is not at all liked or supported by the community of Cambria and I uderstand why. It is uninteresting, unsightly, and quite frankly...lame. Like I said, there are a million hikes to take, photos to take, shops, beaches, and so much more around, why go here? I did not enjoy it, neither did the rest of the group I was with. Stupid.

A TripAdvisor Member
“A testiment to one man's ingenuity and energy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2004

I went to Nitt Witt Ridge after seeing it in California's Gold and boy, did it live up to its promise! The passion and energy that went into building Nitt Witt Ridge is only matched by Michael O'Malley's passion to preserve this wonderful example of folk art.

O'Malley gives a wonderful tour and you can really tell how he really loves the place. As I walked around listening to him, Art Beal came alive again. It's definitely something you need to see and experience for yourself.

A TripAdvisor Member
“I liked everything about it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2003

this place is really cool - some cool people there, too!! - My parents liked it too. My mom cried, later, when we talked about the old guy that built it and all. My sister liked Hearst Castle better, cause its all modern with snack places and she got a klondike bar - Hearst Castle was ok, but like a school trip to boring museum. this nitwit is not like anyplace we've ever been. Mike is really cool. We got the video of him on some tv show, so now we can watch it over and over.

A TripAdvisor Member
“authentic, folkloric. little "eerie", historic, funky, rugged individualism, a blast!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2003

Hey we were coming to California for semester break and a gal in our Historic Folklore of America II class saw this on Trip Advisor and printed out the reviews for the class, so we decided to include it in our sunshine getaway (it's cold in Oklahoma in the winter). So after the Rose Bowl (Go Sooners!!) we headed up - great drive up coast, and Nitt Witt topped it off. This guy Art Beale (and nobody knows him like our tour guide Mike) was a historical gem himself - the things he did, in life, and in this mansion, are amazing - we (college freshmen/women) loved it, my parents, AND my grandparents loved it, but the capper is, my 2 sisters (5 and 9) loved it, and my 15 year old teenage brother (who doesn't like anything "older" people like) said it was 'phat' and 'way cool', and that he loved it, too!! - he even grinned a lot while we were there - Prof Rhinehart showed the California Gold video we brought back to the class and he's already put it on the list for academic credit tours!! - and yes, we got credit for it, this year, too. There'll be a bunch of us back either at spring break or next Rose Bowl. (Sooners will be there) maybe we'll bring the winning team up, too!!