“Great waffles!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Gulf Shores, AL
“Great waffles!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2005

Loved this place. Quiet, lovely view, Mike at the front desk was very courteous, nice bottle of wine in the room. Breakfast room was roomy and uncrowded. Wife made herself a waffle without whining about it and seemed to enjoy it. Highly recommend this place and we'll be back!

• Stayed June 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
upstate new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2005

The hotel is on a strip with many others. We had a good rate - about $85. The room was large and clean. No view, but the boardwalk and access to the beach is right across the street. Both boardwalk and beach are very nice. There were seals on the rocks, including a pup born the night before. Lots of driftwood and quite beautiful. The hotel has a small garden by the breakfast room. The buffet breakfast was a cut above the usual - eggs and make-your-own frsh waffles. Wewould definitely stay there again. Be sure to stop at Piedras Blancas, maybe ten miles north, to see the elephant seal colony.

• Stayed April 2005
Shreveport, LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2005

My husband and I definitely recommend this precious inn right across the street from Moonstone Beach. We stayed there recently when we visited Hearst Castle - it's only about 10 minutes away. The Fog Catcher had the feel of a cozy little English country inn. We had a great room especially for the price we paid - $109, I think. The bed was great - a four poster comfortable king with nice bedding. Our room was spacious and also had numerous little extras like a fireplace, bath robes, a microwave, and refrigerator. The grounds had beautiful flowers in bloom and the walk on the beach we took when we first arrived was delightful. We also had an excellent dinner just a short walk away at the Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill. Had to wait a while for a table, but it was worth it. Best oysters Rockefeller I've ever had. This could be a very romantic getaway for couples.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2005

We stayed one night at the Fog Catcher (March 24) during a drive down the coast from San Fran to LA - and found it to be a wonderful place to stay. Stayed in a Garden View Room for $84.00. My wife and kids loved the place - and thats saying alot! Wished we could have stayed longer. It was very quiet and appreciated the very comfortable queen size beds and spacious room. Staff was very helpful and pleasant. We had a ball walking the ocean boardwalk across the street on a beautiful sunny morning - kids rolled up their pants and played in the waves. The breakfast was great (can't believe how nit picky some people can be in some of the other reviews) - it had a good variety, including fruit, cereal, toast, waffles, etc. If we ever come through the area again we definetely will attempt to stay here again. It gets an "A" from us.

• Stayed January 2005
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2005

The reception upon arrival was polite to the point of rudeness. "May I help you" in a monotone is not the way to greet a guest. I had been on the road all day so I headed for the shower. The showers are supplied with pump dispensers of shampoo and conditioner. After I was in, I found both dispensers empty. No bottles anywhere, but while looking, dripping wet, I noticed a lot of hair in my sink and around the faucet handles. Down I went to the front desk where I was greeted by the same drone of "may I help you". The room was adequate. We had the ocean view room, but the window was small, and the room stuffy. The bed was average. For the price, this place does not present a value. I don't mind paying a premium rate, but I expect premium service. The buffet breakfast was awful, and I took the kids to a restaurant to get something healthy to eat. The gardens arount the pathways to the rooms are quaint.

• Stayed September 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2005

My husband & I went for our birthdays with-out the children. The room & bathroom were clean and comfortable. Fire place was nice. It was a cuddly place. It's not your marble floors & crystal chanderlier hotel. Breakfast was better then the average bread/dry creal free breakfast. We would stay there again.

Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2005

Stayed at FogCatcher over the Valentine weekend. What a wonderful place! Last time I was in Cambria I stayed in the Blue Dolphin and payed much, much more for nothing really much nicer.
The room was big. The beds had big, fluffy comforters that were actually clean!! The fireplace was nice and added a lovely light, but not much warmth, I ended up putting the little electric heater next to my bed at night.
Staff was wonderful. I was in a room alone and asked to be moved closer to the rest of my group and they were very apologetic that they were full and could not move me.
Breakfast had a lot to choose from and despite the other post regarding the waffles, it was very nice. Easy to use the waffle maker (never needed directions..) and the other guest either offered extra seating or quickly moved out when they were finished.
Perfect spot for my weekend away from my kids! Plan to take them with me this summer!!

• Stayed February 2005

Been to FogCatcher Inn? Share your experiences!