“Charming, will never stay any place else in Cambria” 5 of 5 stars

Save 15% on New Rooms!
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Cambria
Certificate of Excellence 2014
California
“Charming, will never stay any place else in Cambria”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

This place was absolutely perfect for a relaxing weekend away. The room was awesome. We stayed in the double queen oceanfront (with a complimentary upgrade) and the bed was so comfortable!!!! I could have stayed in the room the whole trip and been extremely happy! Everyday included a buffet style breakfast with all the basics. I will never stay at any other hotel when I go to Cambria ever again!!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Culver City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

I just wanted to comment on the FogCatcher Inn staff and manager Charlie. I had planned an overnight trip with family/friends and the morning that we were supposed to leave Los Angeles for the 4+ hour drive up to Cambria, a pretty bad storm hit the L.A. area, so I absolutely did not feel comfortable driving on the freeways. (I don't feel comfortable driving in L.A. if it's drizzling outside). I didn't have time to give the 48-hour notice but I wanted to mention that I called and spoke to Charlie and he was gracious enough to waive the $200. fee. When we do drive up to Cambria next, we will definitely be staying at the FogCatcher Inn.

Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

We spent 2 nights in the Honeymoon suite @ the Fog Catcher Inn. It's the only room they have with a balcony that over looks the Pacific Ocean & it was so worth the extra $$$.
We left the windows & door open to sleep by the sound of the crasing waves. The road wasn't too busy to be distracting with cars. There is a gas fireplace in the room & a big-screen TV. There were 2 good restaurants within walking distance & the pool was open til 10 or 11 pm for a late-nite dip.
Staff was very nice - we were even able to check in at about 11:30 am, our room was ready & we arrived early.
I would highly recomend the hotel to anyone looking for a long weekend - anymore than two days or so & I imagine cambria may become boring.

Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

We stayed at the Fogcatcher Inn for two days at the end of January. When we arrived, we were able to quickly check in, and we received two cookies that were still warm. The staff was very nice and helpful throughout our stay - we stopped by a few times to ask for directions and suggestions, and they were always able to answer our questions. The hotel itself is actually a series of smaller buildings, and the landscaping/walkways between the buildings made it so we never felt like we were at a typical hotel while we walked around during our stay. There is a pool, but we did not use it.

We had a king upstairs room with a full ocean view. The nightly rate for this room was rather expensive by our standards (but right on par with similar rooms in other hotels on the same road). You are definitely paying a lot for the view, but since we were kind of splurging for these two nights of our weeklong trip, it was totally worth it. The views were amazing, and the sounds of the waves crashing were nice to fall asleep to at night and wake up to in the morning. If you do book a full view room, you have a choice between upstairs and downstairs...if you want the best view, be sure to choose the upstairs room. The windows in the downstairs room are smaller and right at ground level (you actually go down about 6 stairs to get to these rooms)...while the rooms upstairs have full size windows, vaulted ceilings, and an amazing view looking out over the ocean. (although, to be fair, I was never in the downstairs room...but based on what I could see from the outside, my opinion is that the view wouldn't be as good)

The room was very large and had a fireplace, which we loved. The bed was big and comfortable and the complimentary wireless internet in the rooms was very convenient. We enjoyed making coffee in our room in the morning, and then sitting at the table by the windows and watching the waves. One complaint about the room was that the ventilation in the bathroom was not the greatest - when you took a shower, water would condense all over everything, and it took a little while with the windows open for it to dry out. Not sure if this was true of all rooms, or if it was just ours. In addition, water through the pipes was a bit loud when neighboring rooms were using the shower (although closing the bathroom door aleviated some of the noise). However, we were early risers during our stay (still on eastern time), so we were up long before our neighbors and this wasn't an issue for us.

We loved the free breakfast - eggs, sausage, make-your-own waffles, pastries, fruit, oatmeal, toast, cereal, coffee, tea, juice, and other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. We had a nice big breakfast every morning, and we usually weren't hungry again until late afternoon. It was also a nice touch that you could either eat in the dining room, or if you preferred, use the provided trays to take your food back to your room. We ate in the dining room both days. Breakfast was offered from 7am-10am...and we arrived both days at 7:15am to find everything fully prepared and ready.

The location of the hotel couldn't be better...access to the boardwalk right across the road. After breakfast we would get a to-go cup of coffee and walk for a while. We made easy day-trips to Hearst Castle, elephant seals, Paso Robles for wine tasting, and a short drive up the coastal highway to see the southern end of the Big Sur coastline.

Check out was quick and easy - we were able to do it right on the tv in the room.

We hope to visit Cambria again on a future trip, and would definitely stay at the Fogcatcher Inn next time.

Anaheim
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

We needed a place to stay for a last minute turn around trip to Hearst Castle, and for 99$ - you couldn't beat the Fogcatcher. Had a room with no view, but it was very cozy, clean, and the bed was extremely comfortable. Nice sheets, bedspread, etc. And the fireplace in the room was a great addition. Opted for the continental breakfast in the morning...and it was good. Great pastries and the wafle machine was fun. Grabbed a few bananas and an orange for the walk along Moonstone Beach...and it was perfect! I would reccomend this place to anyone looking for a place to stay. The man at check in was polite and pleasant, and we had no problems at all (got there at about 10:30 p.m., and were gone right at check out the following day.

• Liked — romantic
  • Disliked — nothing
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ventura, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

I'll start with the staff. From arrival to departure they were very friendly and helpful. I don't think I've encountered better staff at any hotel. If you're going for an anniversary, be sure to let them know. They'll have a nice surprise for you.

Our room was huge! It had a small frig, microwave, coffee maker, fireplace and wireless internet. Even though it was by the parking lot and the office, it was still quiet. The location is great; right across the street from the beach.

They serve a buffet breakfast every morning; eggs, sausage, cereal, fruit etc. I read a couple of reviews that panned the breakfast. I thought it was just fine. After all, it's a buffet at a reasonably priced hotel, not a Michelin 3-star! BTW, it's free. If you went out to breakfast you'd pay around $20 for two.

We had a very nice stay and would gladly return.

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rancho Murieta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

It was our first stay at the FogCatcher Inn, but I can assure you it won't be our last. I had a good feeling about this establishment when shortly after I booked our reservarion online I received a phone message inquiring about our preference of wine (or sparkling cider) One of the offers was complimentary champagne and I readily accepted noting that were visiting as part of our anniversary celebration. Upon arrival I was informed that our room had been upgraded and the gentlemen at the desk then asked if I would like him to phone and make dinner reservations for the important evening. Let me just say that my wife and I travel frequently up and down the California Coast and we have fortunately received a great deal of excellent service, but the people at this establishment were extremely willing to go above and beyond. We ended up with a great room with a breathtaking view...a splendid bottle of wine...and an offer to take care of our plans for dinner at a wonderful restaurant. As I said in the title...absolutely overwhelmed.
Thank you FogCatcher staff for helping us with our special celebration...we will see you again soon.

• Liked — The view and the exceptional service
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to FogCatcher Inn? Share your experiences!