“A delightful surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Savannah, Georgia
“A delightful surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

An unexpected Great value for this impeccably clean, modern renovated motel. Room was decorated in a modern decor with a great bed and linens. It was a great price with a modest breakfast included. A good nights sleep after touring wine country.

Room Tip: Asked for a quiet room since it is on a main road. We got one in the back but I had brought ear plug...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Casey K, General Manager at The Sunburst Calistoga, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Margaret M,

I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Sunburst Calistoga and that you loved the retro-modern accommodations for our newly renovated guest rooms. it's also great to hear that you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast served in our lobby every morning and we hope when you return to beautiful Calistoga in the future that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back as our guest once again!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Napa Valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

great decor, fantastic shower, and great channel selection. The morning breakfast is limited but of good quality. Coffee makers in room are first class. N o restaurant on site but with walking distance of downtown Calistoga.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear SleeplessinNapa,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments from your recent stay with us at The Sunburst Calistoga! I'm so pleased to hear that you loved our newly renovated rooms as we continue to improve our complimentary continental breakfast with the goal to improve your complete guest experience. We're just a short walk into downtown Calistoga where you enjoy all of the local shops and restaurants. We hope to see you again soon at The Sunburst Calistoga!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

All very smooth, easy check-in and plenty of parking.

The room was brand new with trendy decor and a very comfortable bed. Great air con/heater and rainforest shower. Lack of shelving in the bathroom has already been flagged and really does need to be addressed. I'd also suggest to mgmt that they add a separate, lower towel rail for the shower mat to save it dripping on the clean towels or lying damp on the floor. Could also do with a waterproof shower curtain as the fabric became very damp.

Was a little disappointed by the motel-feel of the place outside with rooms facing onto the car park and road. The website was a little misleasing on this front, in fact, aside from the great pool, the website photos carefully avoid including a shot of the external premises. Nothing against motels, but we weren't looking to stay in one and it feels a little out of place somwhere as quaint as Calistoga.

Breakfast in the lobby was uninspiring to say the least. Good if you're on the move immediately and want a muffn/boiled egg/peelable tub of cereal (no bowls for the porrige) but underwhelming for tourists. So much so in fact that we avoided it the second day....

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Casey K, General Manager at The Sunburst Calistoga, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Kat110601,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your recent guest stay and experience with us at The Sunburst Calistoga. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed the newly remodeled guest rooms and everything worked perfectly. We are currently addressing the lack of shelving in our guest bathrooms as the pedestal sinks do not offer enough space for bath amenities and we are continuing to install new shelves this week. In addition, I appreciate your comments regarding waterproofed shower curtains or curtain liners as I have been researching available options to preserve our shower curtains.

I apologize for your disappointment of the 'motel-feel' of our hotel and our photos published online on our website are in no way meant to be misleading. We simply wanted to capture the best images of the hotel from a variety of angles as unique as the property itself.

Thank you for your comments regarding our continental breakfast in our lobby as we have only recently introduced our complimentary breakfast. We are always looking to improve upon the breakfast offerings so that you may fully enjoy a full selection of items to choose.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments with us at The Sunburst Calistoga and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when your travel plans bring you back to beautiful Calistoga.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Not sure how much longer this place will be obscure.
For it's price, location, and offered amenities it is great value. Just don't expect luxurious hotel. From the outside it looks like what it is... a newly renovated motel. It just opened about 3 months ago. The units are all single story and spread out laterally from the registration area. There is ample free parking.

You can't beat the price. I called around 10+ hotels in the Napa, St. Helena, Youtville, Calistoga area. This place is much much cheaper. There was even availability on a busy weekend. They were giving a grand opening 20% discount. Cheaper than what I found on HotelTonight ipad app.

It is a newly renovated motel, but don't let the outside looks fool you. They did a great job on the inside. They use very bold colors and patterns in a very contemporary almost art-deco style. The bathrooms have bright black and white tiles. I rented a queen single and a king suite. Both rooms are quite roomy. The king suite also had a pull out sofa bed. It even had a very faint new paint smell. (Can be deemed good or bad....) The only drawback to this place was that the because of the contemporary furnishings, although there was a lot of room in our king suite bathroom, the pedestal sink offered almost no counter space. Reportedly they are putting in shelves this week to offer more space for toiletries.

You get free breakfast. It's pretty weak... but what can you expect when you are getting great prices. You get a few choices but we ended but with can of generic fruit cup, 2 packaged boiled eggs, carton of Tropicana OJ, small yoplait yogurt.

The pool area is great, especially for a cold night. All from naturally hot mineral springs. It reportedly comes up 200 degrees so has to be cooled. here is 1 larger pool that doesn't seem to be warmed too much. Nice sized kiddie pool 2 feet deep that was warm, even on a cold night. ?80-90 degrees. The jacuzzi is pretty large and is about 102 degrees. They supply lounge chairs and towels.

The TVs are flat screens with actual HD programming. There is a Keurig coffee maker.

What I really appreciated was free wifi with speeds that were actually usuable. I measured 5mbs download on my iPad in the evening.

Location is pretty good. It's about 15 minutes from St. Helena, 30 min to Yountville, and 40 minutes from Napa.

If you don't go in expecting much you will be very pleasantly surprised. I would definitely stay here again, especially with a family with kids.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Casey K, General Manager at The Sunburst Calistoga, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Nahlalee,

Thank you for choosing The Sunburst Calistoga as your preferred accommodations and I'm delighted to hear that you loved our retro-modern accommodations. Our Grand Opening 20% discount will be available through the end of the year, so we'd love to welcome you back to the hotel again, too! We are installing the new shelves in the guest bathrooms this week and we hope to have all 50 rooms completed by this weekend, if not by early next week. In addition, we have introduced our newly revamped complimentary continental breakfast that is now featured in our lobby and we offer fresh baked goods from the local bakery along with coffee, tea, orange juice, hard boiled eggs, yogurts, cereal & more! It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to The Sunburst Calistoga as our guest and thank you again for taking the time to share your comments with us!

Oakland, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

While the intentions might be good, this new business has a lot of work to do. While prices in Calistoga have gone up tremendously over the last several years, hotel guests should be able to expect some minimum comforts at this price range.

All of my issues were discussed with the general manager prior to submitting this review. He assures me that they will be addressed. Until they are resolved, I can't recommend this property. While the decor is "cute", there has been little to no attention towards creating a comfortable place.

The issues are:
Poor sound insulation. Virtually every noise from adjacent rooms came through. A faucet turned on, someone blowing their nose. Not to mention hearing every word of conversation. A newly remodeled building should have had some measure of sound proofing installed.

Our first night we did complain and were fortunately moved to a quieter room. It was only quieter because it there was only one room next to it, and that was empty most of the time.

The bathrooms have no hooks for towels, nor any shelving for toiletries.

And what they call breakfast, delivered in a box, could just as well have come from a vending machine. Packaged, dry, horrible food. And the room has no set up for people to eat. Only one chair, a very small desk/table. Not useful for eating.

The Napa valley is famous for good, fresh, abundant food. It seemed criminal (or just a waste) to be served such inedible stuff.

The setting and the pools are nice. There is some effort towards landscaping. The overall impression we were left with, however, is that the owners were in a hurry to complete the project, that corners were cut and thought was not directed towards making this a hotel of real quality.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Casey K, General Manager at The Sunburst Calistoga, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Marsha B,

Thank you choosing The Sunburst Calistoga as your preferred accommodations while visiting beautiful Calistoga and I genuinely appreciate your time by addressing the issues you encountered during your stay as it allows me the opportunity to improve upon not only the guest rooms and amenities, but also to enhance your entire guest experience. With that said, I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us, and as I previously mentioned in our email conversation, I am diligently working to currently improve several of our guest amenities that I would love to address in your review.

Firstly, I apologize for the lack of insulation in between the walls of the neighboring guest rooms and I will work with my maintenance team to see what is the best way to suppress the noise so that you have a more enjoyable and relaxing stay at our hotel.

We have purchased new shelves for the guest bathrooms and these will be installed within the next few days as I realize there is simply not enough shelf space in the bathrooms, so I sincerely hope this additional shelf will provide the extra space for guest amenities and toiletries. In addition, I'm going to purchase an additional hook so you have may an additional place to hang towels or clothes.

We are also going to be updating our breakfast by moving away from the prepackaged items offered in our boxed breakfast within the next few weeks. I apologize as I realize the items that are offered are not of a high quality, but it is my sincere hope that we will be able to offer a fresher, continental breakfast served in our lobby every morning for our guests.

It would be my pleasure to welcome you back to our hotel once I have fully implemented these new additions as I wish to continue to enhance the guest experience by providing improved guest amenities while providing superb customer service. Thank you again for taking the time to share your review and for staying with us The Sunburst Calistoga.

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

A newly remodeled property with cool retro decor, an amazing location AND a great rate? The Sunburst Calistoga promised all of this and delivered completely. We loved the bright, ultra-mod update on a vintage mod-era motel, and the amenities (especially the free wifi, Keurig coffee maker, delivered breakfast-in-a-box and mini fridge) suited our needs perfectly. The bed felt comfy, the water pressure in the shower was excellent and absolutely everything in the room appeared spotless. The hotel is located very close to Calistoga's cute center, full of restaurants and stores, and we guesstimate it took us about three minutes to drive to our first winery. Maybe less.

Room Tip: Try for a room away from the road to avoid hearing passing vehicles (or run the fan to block the noi...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Casey K, General Manager at The Sunburst Calistoga, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear acrobat212,

Thank you for your wonderful review of The Sunburst Calistoga! I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the newly remodeled accommodations with the updated retro-modern decor! We hope to have you as our guest once again when you travel to idyllic Calistoga!

Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed at the Sunburst Calistoga last week and it was very nice! Clean and loved the decor. Everyone was very pleasant - from the front desk to the person who brings your breakfast and we would definitely stay there again. Very close to downtown Calistoga. Wonderful shopping and dining! Highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Casey K, General Manager at The Sunburst Calistoga, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear StMarysPoint.

Thank you for a fantastic review and I'm delighted to know you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us at The Sunburst Calistoga. I am definitely going to pass your wonderful comments along to my staff and I'm pleased to know that you loved the new decor too! We hope to welcome you back soon to beautiful Calistoga as our guest once again!

Casey Klein

Been to The Sunburst Calistoga? Share your experiences!