“A kitchy, cool, retro trowback” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Calistoga
Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort
Save Saved
You added Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort to your Saves list
1507 Lincoln Ave., Calistoga, CA 94515   |
Ranked #9 of 15 hotels in Calistoga
Arcata, California
“A kitchy, cool, retro trowback”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Dr. Wilkinson's hasn't changed much since it was built back in the 60's. Its long modern lines make it standout in Calistoga with a look drawn more from the roadside motels of the period than the small town country aesthetic common throughout the region. Inside, the rooms are large and clean if not luxurious. The beds are reasonably comfortable. As far as value goes, I don't think you can even mention that word and Napa Valley in the same sentence but compared to similar properties in the area the price is fair. Those looking for a luxury spa resort will need to spend 2 to 3 times more. For those looking for a simpler experience and a nice soak in a mineral bath this is a good choice. There are 3 pools to choose from each with a different temperature ranging from cool to hot. They also offer mud baths and massages in the spa.

The location is convenient as well. Dr. Wilkinson's sits at the end of Calistoga's main street and is close to many restaurants, wine tasting and shops. Calistoga sits at the northern end of the Napa Valley and it is only a short drive (though traffic can be horrendous) down to the heart of the wine country. Calistoga also has a different vibe to it. Much of the Napa Valley can be a little pretentious while Calistoga is more Earthy.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave the kind review! Your comments are appreciated and we hope to see you here again soon! Indeed, Calistoga has a good "vibe" which we do our best to continue along with....

Thanks again! We hope to see you here again soon!

318 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
San Francisco Bay Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Living only an hour or so away, I've visited Calistoga many, many times and have stayed at nearly all the resorts in the area. Dr. Wilkinson's remains the most accommodating and welcoming every time and I've stayed here about 40 plus times. Like many of the resorts in Calistoga, is an old fashioned destination, both the town as well as many of the businesses. Located on the northern end of the Napa Valley, it's an ideal place to stay after a day of wine tasting. Calistoga-think laid back, old fashioned yet casually chic.

My favorite bank of rooms are the patio rooms which are located steps from their huge enclosed jacuzzi/hot tub. The 'tub' is tiled and filled with soothing jets and especially nice in inclement weather, ie our rainy season Nov to March. For all warm months, they have a lovely outdoor pool with ample space for sun bathing. It's peppered with chairs, some little tables and chaise lounges. Leave your car parked at the resort and walk to town, which is also steps away. Enjoy the shops, restaurants, wine tasting. Get take out from any of the establishments including a good grocery store (next door) and enjoy at the spa in the comfortable table/chair/umbrella covered area. Oh yeah, great spa services as well.

Room Tip: Pool Patio rooms in the teens are the best. Rooms have a little fridge, they supply wine glasses, co...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Beverly H,

Thank you so much for the terrific review! I always enjoy hearing from return guests that continue to enjoy Dr. Wilkinson's and our amenities.

As always, we look forward to your return!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Our family of four with two small children stayed here over Labor Day weekend. I mention the holiday because the town of Calistoga was more active than it normally might have been, with the dirt track sprint car races at Calistoga Speedway, which we attended. Our room was at the very front of the main building, near the main drag, and traffic noise was noticeable during the daytime hours (nap time) but died down to a trickle each night. The racetrack noise was noticeable too, but only outside and during the evenings.

We had friends staying in adjoining rooms and found the decor in each was different, which seemed a nice touch. Our group made use of the courtyard tables for meals and general gathering. The pools were clean and well appointed with deck chairs and tables. Our kids practically lived in the mineral pools, and the adults made good use of the hot tub and cooler mineral pool on site.

The staff were courteous and helpful. Extra towels for in-room use and pools were available on request.

A very well-stocked grocery is directly across the street, and the restaurants located along the entire main stretch of Lincoln Ave. are in easy walking distance.

At check-out, we reserved rooms for our stay next year and are already looking forward to our time there.

One note on cleanliness: the carpet in our room had some stains (hey, it's wine country after all) but it seemed to me to be inconsistent with the immaculate cleanliness of the rest of the property. However, I was not hesitant to let our kids lounge on the floor while relaxing.

• Stayed August 2013
Thanks so much for your great review! I look forward to seeing you here again net year if not sooner! My apologies for any spots on the carpet. As you've indicated, our standanrds are quite high and housekeeping has addressed the issue.

Again, my thanks and warm best wishes,
Norwood, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I came upon the lovely little town of Calistoga in 1979. It is a beautiful place with everything you could ever need to enjoy a relaxing,comfortable stay in this sweet little town in the Napa Valley.Now you must know that wine country is not all it's cracked up to be. It's much more than that. I thoroughly enjoy time and again the experience and stay at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort. The location is perfect,close to all whether you are walking or driving. Great restaurants, shops,wineries and local flavor. But the ultimate in comfort has to be the various spa treatments to choose from at Dr. Wilkinson's Resort. The friendly and professional staff will guide you through a most wonderful relaxing luxurious treatment. A mud bath or mineral spring soak with a massage and a swim in the heated pools after, is a great way to start the day. The rooms here are very pleasant and plenty of staff to take care of your every need.It is why year after year I return from Massachusetts to the lovely Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Spring Resort.

Room Tip: inquire about their other properties as well if available
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Carole ,

Thanks so much for the kind review. It is always a pleasure hearing back from our long time guests who continue to visit us year after year. Even though we've been here for 61+ years, we are always doing something to upgrade and stay with the times!

Thanks again.....looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Hillsboro, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

For my first stay in Calistoga I was thoroughly impressed and loved staying here. All the pools, great staff and amazing spa treatments made my vacation so wonderful, I would recommend not only staying here but getting the spa treatments as well!

Room Tip: We had a room right by the pool that was wonderful and didn't have any issues with noise!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This is my new favorite place to stay when in Napa Valley. I grew up in Napa Valley and this resort has everything anyone would want. The location is superb, the service is friendly, and the amenities are fabulous. I love the pools after a long day. My most recent stay was absolutely perfect. I went to the spa and loved my treatments especially the mud bath. My massage was one of the best I have ever had. The room was very nicely decorated and comfortable. I love that there is a little market next door with all the essentials needed for a nice picnic/dinner, etc. I also appreciated extra added touched like votive candles and matches, a coffee maker in the room, wine glasses, and wine bottle opener. I recommend this property with two enthusiastic thumbs up and will hopefully be back one day soon!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Ok, being completely honest, I was a bit sketchy when my wife suggested we check it out (the first few places we stopped were full, we were tired and just needing a place to crash.)

Greeted by a friendly front desk clerk (maybe owner), got our room keys, and we on up. To my surprise, the room was extremely nice, very clean...brick walls, two beds, all in all a very nice room. It appears to be an older building, but revamped really nice.

Everything we needed was within walking distance, grocery store, incredible food, locals bar (Suzies, which I'll recommend with its own review!) everything was GREAT! It was like a lil mini vacation on its own passing through Calistoga! Love this place!!

Unfortunately we didn't have time nor the energy to swim in the hot springs pools they have, but looked VERY inviting!

WE WILL BE BACK!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Jason T,

Thanks for the great review! Your kind coments are much appreciated and we hope to see you here again very soon! Next time, please take the time to enjoy the pools and other services that we offer!

Mark Wilkinson

Been to Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!