“No 2-Night Minimum at this Retro-Charming Napa Valley Resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Calistoga
Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort
1507 Lincoln Ave., Calistoga, CA 94515   |
Special Rate
$155.00 TripAdvisor Rate
Ranked #11 of 15 hotels in Calistoga
Lodi, CA
“No 2-Night Minimum at this Retro-Charming Napa Valley Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My band the Vine Dawgz recently were booked to perform on a Saturday at the Calistoga Mustard, Mud and Music festival in Calistoga, CA (at the north end of the Napa Valley) on short notice. My girlfriend and I decided we wanted to make a weekend out of the gig, so we started looking for a hotel or B&B that would book just Saturday night.

Well .. that wasn't so easy. Most of the Napa area hotels and B&B's require a two night stay.

So I asked my contact at the Calistoga Chamber of Commerce if there were any nearby hotels that would book a one night stay. On the list I received back, I found Dr Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort.

Went to their website, rate was very reasonable, so we booked a room, and hoped for the best. We were a little hesitant about booking a more "budget conscious" room after what we recently experienced in Ft Lauderdale with a budget hotel that was highly rated here on Trip Advisor.

When we checked in, we were pleasantly suprised. The whole vibe of the place is retro-charming 60's / 70's, and that tone is set when you arrive .. by the "old school" neon and metal sign outside.

The downstairs room we had was not luxurious, but it was very clean - nicely decorated - large - and very comfortable. From their website, it appears they have another class of rooms that are more luxuriously decorated, if that is what you're looking for. We were just looking for comfortable accomodations from which we could launch our Napa Valley wine tasting on Sunday, so we were pleased.

It was conveniently located at the east end of the Main Street in Calistoga, and we were able to walk up and down the downtown corridor at night and enjoy the restaurants / bars. Like most small towns, many of the shops close early on a Saturday .. but on Sunday morning, most were open for business.

The only negatives were that there was a lot of noise from upstairs. The space between upstairs and downstairs is a little bit "thin", so you can hear people walking around above .. dropping things .. etc. Pretty typical for a building that was probably built in the 60's or 70's, but might be a problem for light sleepers (I sleep like a rock).

The pools looked clean and well kept (we didn't use them, because I didn't bring my bathing suit). We did not partake in any of the spa services, but others here at Trip Advisor have provided some input on those (so read on!).

All in all this is a great place to stay, very good value. We will not hesitate to stay there again!

The next day we explored the valley, visiting Sterling, Castello di Amorosia, Dariousch and V.Sattui wineries. All in all a great trip!

The attached photo is representative of the quality of room we had.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for an upstairs room to avoid noise that might keep you awake.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear RCesena,

Thanks so much for the kind review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! We frequently offer a one night stay minimum on weekends and are happy to welcome guests for the Saturday night only. Next time, if you forget your swimsuits, please let us know as we do have "loaners" that we are happy to provide.

We offer a variety of types of lodging from very clean and comfortable and spacious to more luxurious in our King Superior category or our lovely Victorian rooms.

Thanks again! We hope to see you on your next visit to Calistoga!

307 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Elk Grove
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Nice, clean, and budget friendly. The motel does not require a two-night minimum, which is great for locals who just want a quick getaway. The walls are thin, but the rooms are clean and comfortable. I would return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
So happy you enjoyed your stay with us! I hope to see you another time soon!

Best wishes,
Mark Wilkinson
Concord CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Loved the experience. Classic spa treatment... the mud bath was out of this world. I look forward to returning every time I visit Calistoga and recommend Dr. Wilkinson's therapy to my family and friends.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We decided to stay here as we had heard great things about this place, and we loved it. We arrived there without a reservation - we were travelling as 2 couples- and got 2 rooms next to each other (we stayed in Oct 2011). The rooms were lovely: spacious, clean and extremely comfortable. But I'll save the best this place has to offer til last: the indoor jet pool and the 2 outdoor pools - one is heated. After some time relaxing in them, you just feel amazing. Unfortunately we didn't have time to experience the mud and mineral baths. We just wish now that we could have stayed for more than one night, but our time was limited. A word on Calistoga: it's a great little town with some nice restaurants and places to have breakfast. And of course the short drive to several excellent wineries is well the worth your time. Highly recommended and we will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear SaliBaba,

Thank you so much for your very kind review. The staff and I are thrilled that you enjoyed your visit here with us and hope to see you on your next visit. Next time you will hopefully have time to try one of our very unique and relaxing treatments.

Best wishes,
Mark
Northern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Going to Dr.Wilkinson's for the mud bath and spa treatment is like stepping back in time -- in a good way! No pretentious new agey spa action here. White subway tiles and concrete floors. If chic atmosphere is what you seek, go elsewhere. If a wonderful and relaxing experience, in hot mud, mineral bath, sauna, and massage which makes your skin silky soft, releases the toxins and clears your mind, then dr.wilkinson's is definitely worth a visit.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Newhall, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Teaser: A personally delivered “Tote Breakfast”, Calistoga Roastery coffee in my room, swimming, teen massage and 90 minute best-pumpkin-facial of my life.

When I called Mark Wilkinson to get a room at Dr. Wilkinson’s hotel in Calistoga, they were filled up. I didn’t like the sound of that as I prefer to stay in Calistoga to avoid the crowds in Napa. Anyway, quick work on Mark’s part, and he offered me a cottage to check out.

Built in the 1920’s – I think ours was called “Paris” – we had our own little porch, screen door, kitchen with all the appliances you could possibly need, a small living room with a couch and television, a bedroom and a large bath. Each room had windows, nice furnishings and just begged us to stay in. But we couldn’t do that – yet.

After checking out our room, which my teen really dug by the way, we put on our swimsuits and the robes from the room and took some time to enjoy the large outdoor spa. From there we walked a block up to Lincoln, and into the Wilkinson spa, to check in for our services.

I haven’t had a facial in years, but since I had to wait for Samantha to have a massage, I booked one. My aesthetician was generous – with the slathering on and washing off, yes, but also with her time. She ran 30 minutes over without realizing it. Best facial Of My Life.

And, as you can probably guess, we were far too relaxed to head out to dinner so we walked across the street to Cal Mart Napa Valley where I made myself a fresh salad, and chose some bread and a nice split of wine to pair it with. Samantha had a much bigger haul as there are tons to choose from. We went back to the room, ate our dinners, set our alarms and then there was a knock at the door.

We were being delivered their Tote Breakfast at night as we were leaving so early in the morning: Oatmeal with dried fruit, scones, juice and my favorite Calistoga Roastery coffee. So very pleasant, I can’t wait to come back.

From http://www.hideawaycottages.com/aboutus.html

Situated amongst mature shade trees and lovely gardens, Hideaway Cottages is a perfect setting for a completely relaxing vacation. We are a unique cottage vacation resort offering a peaceful getaway. Hideaway is an ideal setting offering a quiet atmosphere, yet is within minutes of many world-class restaurants, wineries, and shops…

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed here on the recommendation of friends who had visited a few months earlier and liked it. They described it as "cute, funky, and affordable". In fact, it's probably all of those things. We were disappointed when we arrived because we had been expecting more of a resort (reinforced by the name itself). In the 50s and 60s, it might indeed have qualified as that. Today, I'd call it a 1950s motel with an 1970s updated decor. It's clean, convenient, funky indeed, and met our needs if not our (perhaps unjustified) expectations. Some other reviewers complained about noise. Our room was quiet. The dark brown interior decor (rug, walls, bedspreads) makes rooms seem dingier than they probably are. Air conditioning was effective if noisy. Location was very nice. Since we spent most of our time driving around, wine-tasting, and visiting Napa and Sonoma sights, and very little time in the room, this was a perfectly acceptable option. Price was decent, though in the future we'd probably spring for a bit more in order to go to a more upscale place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!